E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Injector Problem

01-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
pjuhlin
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D

Update: The warranty company AUL, who my dealership said was the best to buy for an extended warrant, is saying they will not cover it because it is an emission failure and they don't cover emission related issues which is complete BS. My rep at the dealer is trying the say to them that it is not emissions related. Hopefully something will come of it. At this point I just continue to get more frustrated and disappointed with the process.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #24
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Why didnt you just buy the BMW Extended warranty instead of a 3rd party warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
pjuhlin
Private
Rep

I was ready to buy any warranty. The BMW dealership said that AUL was the best and even better than BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #26
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjuhlin View Post
I was ready to buy any warranty. The BMW dealership said that AUL was the best and even better than BMW's.
That sucks man, I bet the dealership received a bigger cut off of selling you that 3rd party warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #27
pjuhlin
Private
Rep

I just talked to BMW NA and they said that this issue was a maintenance issue and they would not cover it because I was outside the factory warranty!!!!!!

This is insane and once again a crappy situation.

My only last step is to talk to the Service Manager and get him to bark up the right trees.

Let me know if there are any other suggestions on what to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #28
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I just talked to BMW NA and they said that this issue was a maintenance issue and they would not cover it because I was outside the factory warranty!!!!!!

This is insane and once again a crappy situation.

My only last step is to talk to the Service Manager and get him to bark up the right trees.

Let me know if there are any other suggestions on what to do.
Maintenance issue as in you did not do the proper maintenance or as in this issue is standard maintenance? Either way, more detail please.

Keep pushing with BMW NA and escalate further within that organization (or above) if needed. Keep asking question, question, question until you have enough information to use to your advantage. Keep detailed notes of each conversation. Who you spoke to, what was said, etc. put things in writing to them along with your calls documenting time stamps of conversations, maintenance histories, etc. Eventually, it costs them less to fix the issue than to deal with you. ...or if its not worth that to you, just pay for it & perform the repair.

Don't forget, you can also put pressure on your insurance company. Get your t&cs out and read. If needed, see if BMW will write you (or be signatory to) a letter stating that it is not an emissions issue, but, rather, an issue which should be covered per the T&Cs of the agreement with the insurance company. Don't forget, most insurance companies will always turn down gray area issues unless pushed.

Keep in mind, though, your time is valuable as well. If I told you that it would take you 4 weeks of your time to keep you from paying for 2 grand in repairs, would it be worth it? Just keep it in mind.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #29
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

So the warranty company is saying it's an emissions issue but BMW NA is saying it's a maintenance issue? Very conflicting.

Honestly, I think your only option is to take the warranty company to Small Claims court and report them to the Better Business Bearu. Read the fine print of the warranty; see if it says specifically injectors are not covered.

If BMW is willing to agree its an emissions issue, I believe by law they have to cover it to 75,000 miles. All emissions related components are supposed to be covered till 75k. Do some research.

I would just pay now to get the car and fight later. I think you have a good chance of winning if you document everything properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #30
Julesandtrish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2010 BMW 335D  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jffeijao View Post
I would be surpirsed if so.
Car manufacturers design the application and require specific injector performance as it is vital for emissions. Number of holes, fuel spray angle and fuel delivery rate are platform/engine specific.

The M57 utilizes Bosch piezo injectors which are among the fastest available. This enables multiple open/closure fuel injection cycles during each compression/ignition event. On the weak side they are not as durable as the magnetic driven ones.

There are other piezo injectors available but all are application specific. You may buy service parts from other brands but none will fit the M57. Even if any is 'mountable', the sofware will either not recognize them or will require adpatations that would impact emissions/performance.
That means you will get into bigger problem than the one you are trying to address.

Thanks. I wasn't very familiar with how injectors fit specific cars. Good to know that we have Bosch and that they are rated as one of the best available.
      01-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Per the AUL site...

Quote:
AUL Warranty Programs and Coverages

Powertrain Vintage Estate

I. Powertrain Coverage – Two Wheel Drive Parts
The following parts are covered by the AUL Vehicle Service Contract subject to the exclusions set forth in the contract. Only those parts specifically listed are covered. At the Administrator’s option, failed parts may be replaced, depending on the availability, with like quality used, rebuilt, remanufactured, or new parts.
Engine Group – All internally Lubricated parts. Crankshaft and bearings, oil pump, fuel pump, internal timing gears or chain, camshaft, camshaft bearings, valve lifters, rocker arm assemblies, push rods, valve guides, pistons and rings, wrist pins, connecting rods, and distributor drive gear. The engine block and heads are covered if the damage results from the failure of an internally lubricated part. Rotary engines – All of the above listed parts are covered plus rotors, rotor seals, rotor chamber, eccentric shaft and bearings.
Transmission Group – The internal parts of the manual transmission or automatic transmission and torque converter. The automatic or manual transmission case is covered if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.
Drive Axle Group Front or Rear – Drive Axle Housing including pinion bearings, side carrier bearings, ring and pinion gears, carrier assembly, thrust washers, axles, axle bearings, CV joints, internal transaxle seal, and drive axle housing if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.
Transaxle Group – Ring and Pinion gears, drive train and gears, carrier bearings, and bushings. Transaxle housing and internal seals are covered if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated part.
Seals and Gaskets – Seals and gaskets are covered when replaced in conjunction with a covered repair or if the “Seals and Gaskets Coverage” option has been selected.
Four – Wheel Drive – All powertrain coverages listed above PLUS internal parts including bearings, bushings, sprockets, chains, sleeves, and gears (excluding electrical items). The transfer case housing is covered if damage is caused by the failure of an internally lubricated part.
Labor Rate – Posted labor rate for the qualified repair facility performing the repairs.

Vintage

II. Vintage Coverage includes all Powertrain Coverage PLUS
Power Steering Group – Steering gear box, pump assembly, rack and pinion, control valves, bearings, and shafts.
Basic Electrical Group – Alternator / Generator, starter motor, front and rear wiper motors.
Towing – The Service Contract Holder will be reimbursed up to $50 per occurrence for towing services provided by a licensed towing service provided that the breakdown was caused by a covered part. This reimbursement is in addition to any insurance or motor club towing benefits.
Rental car / Substitute transportation - Reimbursement of $30 per 8 hour labor charge, $90 maximum per claim. Reimbursement valid only for rental from a licensed car rental agency.
Air conditioning Group – Compressor, condenser, evaporator, expansion valve, receiver dryer, blower motor, and hot water valve. See contract for restrictions and exclusions.
Hi-Tech Electrical Group – Voltage Regulator, distributor, solenoids, manually operated switches, electronic level control compressor including its sensor and limiter valve, electronic fuel injection sensors and injectors, electronic ignition module, power window motors, rear window heating elements, power mirror motors, power seat motors, and power door lock actuators.
Labor Rate – Posted labor rate for the qualified repair facility performing the repairs.

Estate

III. Estate Coverages include all Powertrain and Vintage Coverages PLUS
Brake Group – Master Cylinder, power brake cylinder, vacuum assist pump, hydro boost, disc brake caliper, wheel cylinders, compensating valve, metal brake hydraulic lines and fittings. The following ABS parts are also covered: Hydraulic control unit, electronic pressure control processor, wheel speed sensors, hydraulic pump/motor assembly, pressure modulator valve, isolation dump valve, and accumulator.
Front / Rear Suspension Group - Upper and lower control arms, control arm shafts and bearings or bushings, upper and lower ball joints, radius arm and bushings, torsion bars and mounts or bushings, stabilizer bars, links and bushings, struts, struts bearing plates, spindle and spindle supports, wheel bearings, variable dampening suspension, compressor, control module, actuator, solenoid, height sensor, and mode selector switch.
Cooling Group – Engine cooling Fan and motor, fan clutch, serpentine belt tensioner, radiator, heater core, water pump, and thermostat.
Seals and Gaskets – This coverage option is included for covered components on vehicles with less than 100,000 miles at Vehicle Purchase / Effective date.

AUL pays the posted labor rate for the qualified repair center performing the work on your vehicle.
I'm not sure which you have, but fuel system components seem to be excluded through omission unless I missed them in my brief perusal.

If you are wondering what qualifies as an "internally lubricated part", this is another company's definition.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #32
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
FYI, if they are the parts I think they are, you can get the injectors for 410/ea, glow plug module for 195, and MAF for 340 from getbmwparts.

You could easily DIY some of it, but--even if you don't want to--you could probably save by not having to pay for the dealer parts markups.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #33
efdiesel3s
Halle Berry or Hallelujah
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '11 335d, '93 fd3s, '90 e30 m3

yup after 50k miles/4year your pretty much on your own with these cars. I would have bought the BMW warranty cause just take it to dealership and done. No surprise BMW didn't warranty it since it is a maintenance item. It is a maintenance item because injectors are not made to last forever, people send injectors to rc engineering for cleaning all the time. Small claims court for injectors and glow plugs, haha. Better business bureau is a joke.

I didn't pay anywhere near 60k for my 335d(ordered new), but why is it so surprising that when maintenance calls 1-2k is too expensive to spend. it's a BMW maintenance is expensive.

Last edited by efdiesel3s; 01-09-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #34
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

@pjuhlin down here we say in Spanish ("Te cojieron de Pendejo!!) in other words you were suckered by the BMW Stealership to buy the product THEY get better comission from!! Sorry to hear this BS but as Rotor stated go for their heads and sue them.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #35
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ok, so got the car back. Under warranty the following items were replaced:

Cyl 4 injector
High Pressure Fuel Pump

No signs of carbon build up in the car; Good News for me.
BMW thinks maybe possibly at one point some gas was mixed with the diesel fuel in the past. This could have been the culprit for these injectors to fail. They did not have ANY OTHER explanation after 1 month of having the car with BMW NA involved. Inspection of the gas tank did not show any signs of gas/diesel mixture, but they did find small "metal particles" in the fuel rail, not sure from where. Maybe the pump...

I hope some gas stations are not mixing gas and/or kerosene with the diesel fuel to "cheap out" or "winterize"...

Feels good to have the car back. Seems to be running OK.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #36
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Glad you have it back!

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #37
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Ok, so got the car back. Under warranty the following items were replaced:

Cyl 4 injector
High Pressure Fuel Pump

No signs of carbon build up in the car; Good News for me.
BMW thinks maybe possibly at one point some gas was mixed with the diesel fuel in the past. This could have been the culprit for these injectors to fail. They did not have ANY OTHER explanation after 1 month of having the car with BMW NA involved. Inspection of the gas tank did not show any signs of gas/diesel mixture, but they did find small "metal particles" in the fuel rail, not sure from where. Maybe the pump...

I hope some gas stations are not mixing gas and/or kerosene with the diesel fuel to "cheap out" or "winterize"...

Feels good to have the car back. Seems to be running OK.
VW has been stating the same response to this problem. That Gas may mix with diesel which could come from stations mishandling the fuel/delivery/storage causing them to mix.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #38
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

I would get a lawyer myself...this often works...unless they explained to you when you bought your extended warranty that fuel injectors were excluded than the warranty company didnt explain their product to you correctly right?...see what I mean.?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #39
pjuhlin
Private
Rep

Update: Still no resolution.
I called BMW NA again today and really jumped down their throat. The supervisor I talked to the first time stated this was a maintanace issue and this was my fault??? I called back again this time and complained that it this vehicle has been under a mantainance warranty it's entire life and had been perfectly maintained since the car was purchased new at BMW. Now I am having my service rep at the dealer send BMW NA the entire services records showing them they're wrong. We will see what they say after they receive the records.

I also go the quote on how much the repairs will costs which eqauls $4600!!!!!!! This is insane.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #40
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
I'm on a similar boat as you. you are not alone. I had SES light for injector. Dealer changed injector and SES light came back. After back and forth by dealership and BMW NA, they decided to replace the computer. SES light is no longer on and all monitors are finally ready. I still don't have my car back as it needs Approval by BMW NA before release by the dealership. It's been 3+ weeks.

They also said it does not look like carbon build up related...

All emissions components by law is supposed to be 75k (I think). So BMW needs to take care of this, as long as it can be traced to an emissions related issue.
I think any enissions issue in CA is covered for 8 or 10 years. Not 100% sure about it!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #41
igom3
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcpunk View Post
That sucks man, I bet the dealership received a bigger cut off of selling you that 3rd party warranty.
+10000
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #42
igom3
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Update: Still no resolution.
I called BMW NA again today and really jumped down their throat. The supervisor I talked to the first time stated this was a maintanace issue and this was my fault??? I called back again this time and complained that it this vehicle has been under a mantainance warranty it's entire life and had been perfectly maintained since the car was purchased new at BMW. Now I am having my service rep at the dealer send BMW NA the entire services records showing them they're wrong. We will see what they say after they receive the records.

I also go the quote on how much the repairs will costs which eqauls $4600!!!!!!! This is insane.
BMW NA should ask the dealer for records in the first place instead screwing around. Shame on them!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:57 PM   #43
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Are you getting a loaner vehicle at all for this? My car is currently also in the shop for an SES emissions issue and I'm fairly happy since they provided another BMW loaner (less miles put on my actual car).
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #44
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, I enjoyed getting the 335d back for 2 days. Check engine light is back. Dropping it off tomorrow again at dealer.

I bet it's another injector.

No BMW loaner is nearly as fun as the 335d.

Back to the drawing board!
Appreciate 0