E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW v3 adjustment help

01-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

KW v3 adjustment help

I have an '08 335xi with KW v3 coilovers on it. I'm running into a problem and need help troubleshooting.

With the suspension lowered, the rear tire are wearing way too fast on the inside. I've tried raising the suspension height up so the wheels sit at a neutral camber, but for some reason, after adjusting, the suspension always seems to settle back to where it was.

I'm at a loss now because I have adjusted the rear suspension to (what should be) it's tallest ride height setting and have no threads left to work with, yet the car still sits super low in the rear.

Don't get me wrong... I love the way it looks, but my tires only last about 9 months and they are expensive to replace. I don't have extra money to spend, and this is killing me! Please help!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

So when you turned the adjusting collars, you moved them all the way down on the tube, toward the ground, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Are you getting your alignment checked and adjusted when you change the ride height? The alignment of the car has far more to do with tire wear than ride height. The toe settings get pretty whacked when you change the height.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Are you getting your alignment checked and adjusted when you change the ride height? The alignment of the car has far more to do with tire wear than ride height. The toe settings get pretty whacked when you change the height.
This
Sounds to me like you've never heard of an alignment.
Ride height has nothing to do with this
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk View Post
Ride height affects camber. That's why they recommend when you lower the car to do an alignment.

The lower the car, the more negative camber it'll have (up to a certain point in the front). When you raise it, negative camber goes to neutral (or positive).

So in a way ride height has EVERYTHING to do with it.

Now, the OP mentioned that he has an Xi. Maybe he got a KW kit for the non-AWD cars. Seeing how the Xi is about what, 1" taller than the RWD versions, if he's got the wrong kit, the car is ALWAYS going to be lowered/slammed even when the adjuster is at its highest.

If excessive negative camber due to "slammed" or significantly lowered suspension, you may need adjustable control arms to bring the camber back in spec, since the eccentric bolts only have a limited range of adjustment (typically anywhere from 0.5º-0.7º).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The rear end of the xi is the same as a RWD i. The suspension on it has the non-sport springs and struts but it is identical.

Seriously OP, go get an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk View Post
Ride height affects camber. That's why they recommend when you lower the car to do an alignment.

The lower the car, the more negative camber it'll have (up to a certain point in the front). When you raise it, negative camber goes to neutral (or positive).

So in a way ride height has EVERYTHING to do with it.

Now, the OP mentioned that he has an Xi. Maybe he got a KW kit for the non-AWD cars. Seeing how the Xi is about what, 1" taller than the RWD versions, if he's got the wrong kit, the car is ALWAYS going to be lowered/slammed even when the adjuster is at its highest.

If excessive negative camber due to "slammed" or significantly lowered suspension, you may need adjustable control arms to bring the camber back in spec, since the eccentric bolts only have a limited range of adjustment (typically anywhere from 0.5-0.7).
I more meant that changing the ride height is not the fix for the camber caused by being lowered.
Alignment is.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow..

Garage List
2007 E92  [5.00]
get an alignment to see where your camber settings are. If its not adjusting to higher ride height there is a possibility that the shocks are blown in the rear. How many miles on them ?
      01-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
So when you turned the adjusting collars, you moved them all the way down on the tube, toward the ground, right?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
No, I'm 100% certain it's the right kit. The way I have it set up it should be inches taller in the rear, but no matter what it settles and looks slammed.

I've had the kit since I had installed in 2008, and it's only just now becoming an issue. Previous sets of tires never wore this fast. Could it be the age of the suspension? Something worn out and not functioning as it should?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
get an alignment to see where your camber settings are. If its not adjusting to higher ride height there is a possibility that the shocks are blown in the rear. How many miles on them ?
Alignment won't fix my problem. There's too much negative camber due to how low the car sits. The shop can't put enough positive camber into it to bring it back to neutral. That's why I had the height adjusted in the first place.

Unfortunately, I think you may be right. I'm no professional, but as this has been going on, I've had the sinking feeling that it was the shocks.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Springs don't sag unless they're very old and cycled a lot. Even if your shocks are blown, the springs should still hold the car up. Have you taken it in for an alignment? Messing with the ride height yourself to change alignment isn't a great idea. What you think is helpful may be hurting things. Camber changes with ride height, but so does toe and that will kill your tires faster than camber.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSole View Post
Alignment won't fix my problem. There's too much negative camber due to how low the car sits. The shop can't put enough positive camber into it to bring it back to neutral. That's why I had the height adjusted in the first place.

Unfortunately, I think you may be right. I'm no professional, but as this has been going on, I've had the sinking feeling that it was the shocks.
The OEM spec for camber is around -1.5 degrees of camber in the rear. Toe is what screws up tires, not camber. Please just get an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #14
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
The OEM spec for camber is around -1.5 degrees of camber in the rear. Toe is what screws up tires, not camber. Please just get an alignment.
And if the car sits too low you can't get toe into spec w/o aftermarket toe arms.
      01-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your input, but you guys are seriously beating a dead horse.

Let me clarify some things because I feel like this thread is getting off track. Alignment can't fix my problem because there is nothing left to adjust in that department. Also, toe is not the problem. I'm fully aware of the havoc it can wreak on tread life, but I know for a fact that it's the camber. I'm not a home mechanic and don't personally adjust my suspension. It was done in a shop (obviously by a technician who is not well educated on KWs, and to whom I will not return for further adjustments). My reason for coming to the forum is, rather than rely on the (in)competence of any future technician(s), I would like to hopefully diagnose the problem (or at least have an educated idea as to what's wrong) so I don't waste anymore time and/or dinero.

I would very much appreciate if we could please move past the whole alignment discussion because even if it was physically possible to fix the tire wear issue that way, it still doesn't explain my faulty suspension and abnormally low ride height. Although the tire wear is clearly something that needs to be addressed, this thread is intended to ascertain the problem with my suspension.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #16
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Unless there is something broken on your suspension, topping out the adjustment should put your ride height above where it is. Springs don't sag and blown shocks don't change ride height. Does the shock have preloaded adjustment? I have V3's but can't remember. On my infiniti with BC's, if you don't adjust the shock to raise the stroke, adjusting the spring collars will only increase preloaded since the shock is keeping the car from rising.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
Unless there is something broken on your suspension, topping out the adjustment should put your ride height above where it is. Springs don't sag and blown shocks don't change ride height. Does the shock have preloaded adjustment? I have V3's but can't remember. On my infiniti with BC's, if you don't adjust the shock to raise the stroke, adjusting the spring collars will only increase preloaded since the shock is keeping the car from rising.
Thanks. Will try that
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #18
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

You got pics ?
Appreciate 0