E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Yellows w Eibach or Full Eibach Pro Kit Sytem?

01-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
richouston
BMW FTW!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan- Jet Black

Koni Yellows w Eibach or Full Eibach Pro Kit Sytem?

Hello,

I know this topic is much debated and I did read up on it plenty. It is well documented that the Koni Yellows w Eibach Pro Springs work great.

On ebay right now you can by the Full front and back Eibach Pro System Kit (Shocks and Springs) for $808.00. The Koni Yellows are 700 plus another 300 fro the Eibach Pro Springs so that setup is closer 1000 total.

Is it worth the extra 200 bucks to get Koni Yellows w Eibach Springs or should I just go with the Full Eibach Pro System Kit and save the 200?

Advice please? anyone have the Eibach Shocks installed? How does it ride?

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

For less than $900 you can get ST Coilovers from a vendor on here, height adjustable, just throwing another option out there.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Nickanna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is, X5 M50i & 981 GT4

I have the Knoi/Eibach spring setup and love it. Last I knew (through my research at the time) the Eibach full kit had been discontinued for our cars.

I paid $628 Shipped for the Koni struts/shocks from Nopi out of Atlanta and $242 for the Pro spring kit at Tirerack. $628 + $242 = $870.
I installed myself, so no added cost there.

The guys at Nopi were great and shipped fast. If you want contact info, shoot me a PM. I'm happy to send it your way.
      01-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
dhanni848
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickanna View Post
I have the Knoi/Eibach spring setup and love it. Last I knew (through my research at the time) the Eibach full kit had been discontinued for our cars.

I paid $628 Shipped for the Koni struts/shocks from Nopi out of Atlanta and $242 for the Pro spring kit at Tirerack. $628 + $242 = $870.
I installed myself, so no added cost there.

The guys at Nopi were great and shipped fast. If you want contact info, shoot me a PM. I'm happy to send it your way.
Wow $628 shipped is cheap. Working to get some and cheapest I found was working with a shop on ebay for $665 shipped. I will keep NOPI in mind now!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Nickanna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanni848 View Post
Wow $628 shipped is cheap. Working to get some and cheapest I found was working with a shop on ebay for $665 shipped. I will keep NOPI in mind now!
That was back in June of 2013, so not too long ago, but hopefully it isn't far off from today's price. (I checked my sales slip just to be sure prior to posting those figures above)
Same offer to you, if you want contact info, I'll pass along via PM.

I replaced the F/R bump stops too.

Fronts: E36 M3: Part # 3133 2225 377 ($30+/- Shipped) Found at Pelican Parts.com
Rears: E86 Z4M: Part# 3353 6770 350 ($55 shipped) Found at Turner

I believe Pelican has both, but at the time I had placed an order with Turner and could only find the E36 ones through Pelican.

Last edited by Nickanna; 01-31-2014 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: added bump stop info
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
richouston
BMW FTW!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
For less than $900 you can get ST Coilovers from a vendor on here, height adjustable, just throwing another option out there.
How is the company ST and these coilovers? I have never heard of them. I do like the idea of coilovers because of the adjustable ride height...

Will the ride be as smooth as the OEM shocks/springs?

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
Nickanna
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've never driven on coilovers and can't speak to how they ride, but two things kept me from choosing them when I was looking.

1. Adjustable ride height - I personally would never adjust the ride height, so that wasn't a selling point for me on my daily driver.

2. At the time I was doing my swap, I saw an awful lot of used coilovers for sale on these forums. Not saying that people didn't like them. I'm sure there were other reasons as to why they were selling, but to me that wasn't a good sign.

I'll let others that actually own them speak to the ride quality, etc. so you can make an informed decision. To Mbanks21's point; it's another option.
      01-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
richouston
BMW FTW!
United_States
Rep

I totally get your point of view. I am looking to lower my car about an inch or so, so that adjustability sounds really appealing.

I know I can get the drop I am looking for from Shocks/springs...but I know the coilovers are more precise.

Hopefully someone can speak to the ride quality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickanna View Post
I've never driven on coilovers and can't speak to how they ride, but two things kept me from choosing them when I was looking.

1. Adjustable ride height - I personally would never adjust the ride height, so that wasn't a selling point for me on my daily driver.

2. At the time I was doing my swap, I saw an awful lot of used coilovers for sale on these forums. Not saying that people didn't like them. I'm sure there were other reasons as to why they were selling, but to me that wasn't a good sign.

I'll let others that actually own them speak to the ride quality, etc. so you can make an informed decision. To Mbanks21's point; it's another option.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
eibach pro kit is 230 shipped at amazon. you can find the konis for around 625 shipped. get part numbers, go to Google shopping and see what you find.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep

I'm in the same boat. Looking at Bilstein Sport/Eibach Prokit for around $800 but vendors are selling the ST coilover kit for $800-850 shipped and you can adjust the height pretty much wherever you want. There's also the Sonic kits for around the same price. ST is made by KW btw
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:
I'm in the same boat. Looking at Bilstein Sport/Eibach Prokit for around $800 but vendors are selling the ST coilover kit for $800-850 shipped and you can adjust the height pretty much wherever you want. There's also the Sonic kits for around the same price. ST is made by KW btw
I would recommend you try and find people who have the ST/KW v1 and the Bilstein dampers. The Bilstein and even Koni's are very different performing parts than the KW's. Besides the fact that long term maintainence cost is much higher in lower end Coilovers if you drive your car. Hence why in the end I just ordered the B12 Kit earlier this week for my needs. The only Coilovers I really looked at were Ohlins, TCKline and the higher end KW's. All over $2k.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #12
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
I would recommend you try and find people who have the ST/KW v1 and the Bilstein dampers. The Bilstein and even Koni's are very different performing parts than the KW's. Besides the fact that long term maintainence cost is much higher in lower end Coilovers if you drive your car. Hence why in the end I just ordered the B12 Kit earlier this week for my needs. The only Coilovers I really looked at were Ohlins, TCKline and the higher end KW's. All over $2k.
This is why I'm so torn. Half the people say coilovers, the other half shocks/springs. I live in FL so I dont have to worry about snow or ice, I don't drive a lot of miles (I live about 15 minutes from work and my wife drives about 25% of the time). My only experience is on an E36 M3 vert. I had Bilstein Sport/Eibach prokit and I loved it. On my E90 sport the drop is about .4" front and .6" rear. With the coilovers though I pretty much have free range, even if its only another .5"

I just posted in the FL section if I can bum a ride with someone that has any kind of aftermarket setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #13
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:
This is why I'm so torn. Half the people say coilovers, the other half shocks/springs. I live in FL so I dont have to worry about snow or ice, I don't drive a lot of miles (I live about 15 minutes from work and my wife drives about 25% of the time). My only experience is on an E36 M3 vert. I had Bilstein Sport/Eibach prokit and I loved it. On my E90 sport the drop is about .4" front and .6" rear. With the coilovers though I pretty much have free range, even if its only another .5"

I just posted in the FL section if I can bum a ride with someone that has any kind of aftermarket setup.
I would think based on what you have shared that a mid level coilover setup might do the trick if you want the adjustability. KW v2's at a minimum. But the SA TCKline Koni setup is a great value I think. I know more and more guys are liking the Koni/Swift setup and it does perform great compared to most coil's if performance is important. It took me like four friggen months to finally decide. Found local forum members who had the various setup and was able to test out the suspension.
      02-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #14
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
I would think based on what you have shared that a mid level coilover setup might do the trick if you want the adjustability. KW v2's at a minimum. But the SA TCKline Koni setup is a great value I think. I know more and more guys are liking the Koni/Swift setup and it does perform great compared to most coil's if performance is important. It took me like four friggen months to finally decide. Found local forum members who had the various setup and was able to test out the suspension.
Please do a review with pictures (if possible) on the Bilstein B12 kit that you had ordered as I am very interested to hear your thoughts.
I have shortlisted it to Bilstein B12 kit and a BC BR Coilover.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #15
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

I had Bilstein PSS10 coilovers on my 2007 335i that I installed and I loved them... Just wish they could have gone a little bit lower in the front. Right now, I have Koni Yellows on my 2009 335i and I cannot wait to get coilovers again. They came on my car, they drive nice, but just are not low enough. If you get a KW V2-V3, Bilstein PSS10s, or the new Status Gruppe coilovers, you will have the ability to adjust the dampening and tailor not only the height of your car to exactly where you want it, but you can make it softer than stock or really hard. Coilovers before strut/spring combos any day of the week.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewnami View Post
I had Bilstein PSS10 coilovers on my 2007 335i that I installed and I loved them... Just wish they could have gone a little bit lower in the front. Right now, I have Koni Yellows on my 2009 335i and I cannot wait to get coilovers again. They came on my car, they drive nice, but just are not low enough. If you get a KW V2-V3, Bilstein PSS10s, or the new Status Gruppe coilovers, you will have the ability to adjust the dampening and tailor not only the height of your car to exactly where you want it, but you can make it softer than stock or really hard. Coilovers before strut/spring combos any day of the week.
Interesting, as I think you are the first one to comment the PSS10 isn't low enough at the front. I think every review I had searched on this forum had said that the front drops quite low even at the highest setting, and that there were concerns at rubbing at some stage.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #17
brewnami
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Interesting, as I think you are the first one to comment the PSS10 isn't low enough at the front. I think every review I had searched on this forum had said that the front drops quite low even at the highest setting, and that there were concerns at rubbing at some stage.
I read that as well. I think word travels a lot even if its not true haha. My drivers side front was all the way down and I had a little wheel gap. I had my coils set to be even when I was in the drivers seat so it was balanced when driving. I am going with the Status Gruppe coils this time.
2009 335i M Sport coupe, BSM with black/aluminum interior, 6MT, JB4 G5, MDH Backend Flash, Walbro 255 inline LPFP, VRSF Inlets, BMS 3" catless DP's, Borla Aggressive catback, ER FMIC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, BMS 2.3 gal Meth Kit, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, Ported CDV, RB PCV, Cyba ram air scoops, Status Gruppe SRS coilovers, ECS trailing arms, Forgestar F14 SDC.
Appreciate 0