E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Switched from Eisenmann Race to AE- unbiased opinion

03-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Switched from Eisenmann Race to AE- unbiased opinion

Previously i had an Eisenmann Race quad tip section 3 exhaust system. while the sound at anything above 3k RPM is intoxicating, i was starting to become a little annoyed with the low end sound. the problem is that i would always find myself trying to shift early or keep the car a gear higher or lower to avoid that dreadful 2,200 RPM area. people always say that it will drone on an AT but not on an MT. if you ask me, this is a load of crap, same engine= same sound. its just that the MT allows you to keep the car out of the "drone zone". but i was sick of always crusing at 3k+ RPM.

now on to the AE high flow catted quad system. absolutely perfect low end cruising sound and volume. ABSOLUTELY NO DRONE. however, i do find this system to be very quiet. now some of you may want that, others may not( keep in mind mine is the HFC version, uncatted may be louder?). i heard others rave about the WOT sound of this exhaust, and while it does sound great, the high end sound is nowhere near as amazing as the E-Race. if only i could have the best of both worlds, the AE low end and cruise sound and then the WOT scream of the Eisey. but all in all, i am extremely pleased with the AE. i can now cruise on the highway without having to constantly shift to keep the RPMs at a certain spot, and the sound is SMOOOOTH and mellow.

as far as performance goes, the AE definitely feels stronger. this is obviously expected as it is a DP back system as opposed to just the muffs. also, i have been running the car without a tune for the whole winter, so these butt dyno gains are felt on a stock boost car with no other bolt ons.

so which one would i recommend? haha, both. if you like having a loud car that feels like a sports car EVERYTIME you drive it, then the E-race will not be too loud for you. but if you sometimes find yourself just wanting to relax and get from point A to B, i think the AE would be a better choice. these are all of course my opinions only, and the only real way to decide is to drive in a car with both systems and decide for yourself... if only i had that luxury in the beginning!
      03-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #2
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

Congrats B. I can't wait to hear it. I get all my new stuff installed on Tuesday so I'm pretty excited! Good write up.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

AE sure is a great sounding exhaust, congrats on it!
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

nice review!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

thanks for the review. i just ordered the AE catless with ARD catless dp's....makes me wonder how loud this will actually be. (listened to all the videos out there, but obviously the video never comes close to hearing it in person)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

nice review..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

Selling your E race?

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

The sound of the AE should open up as it breaks in... I didn't like mine in the beginning but it started to grow on me after about 5k.
      03-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
let us know how you like the sound when its broken in. i'm thinking about getting this exhaust soon
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
thanks for the review. i just ordered the AE catless with ARD catless dp's....makes me wonder how loud this will actually be. (listened to all the videos out there, but obviously the video never comes close to hearing it in person)
i bet with catless dp's and the catless version of the AE the sound will be absolute perfection. the whole reason i switched was because i plan on getting catless dp's soon and i heard that catless dp's+ e-race= nightmare.

Quote:
Selling your E race?
already sold and delivered.

Quote:
The sound of the AE should open up as it breaks in... I didn't like mine in the beginning but it started to grow on me after about 5k.
actually, i bougth the system used and it is broken in for sure. it sounds absolutely great, and i like it better everyday. just remember, i'm coming from the E-race so my intial response was, " damn, this thing is quiet." but now that i am forgetting how loud the Eisey was, this one seems better and better. so comfortable to crusie on the highway. i can't wait to hear it with catless DP's. i bet that will sound so mean.