E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > AMEX Platinum

11-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

AMEX Platinum

Who else has one?

I am considering cancelling mine because I don't travel enough right now. Anyone ever cancel and then re-activate?

I use the airport lounges, no international transaction fees, and $200 airline credit....but I can't use those when I'm not travelling. Seems like a waste if I'm not travelling enough. Any benefits I'm overlooking?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
hotdawg
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Concierge?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Since you're not traveling as much, downgrade to the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card. Cheaper annual fee and you accumulate a lot more membership reward points. The gold card still has most of the other benefits too, but you will lose the airport lounge and airfare credit. You'll more than make up for the airfare credit with the cheaper annual fee and extra points.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport

I had the card before and I personally don't think it's worth it.

I use the capital one venture card and get 2 points per dollar which I use for airfare. It was rated very high by consumer reports and money magazine. I have had it for a while so I only pay $39 a year but I think they raised it to $59 now.

I don't think Amex rewards are very competitive when you try to use the points.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
cap1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E92 ZCP

I've had the AMEX Plat card for over 2 years and love it. Can't say too much about the concierge, only used them a couple times however I travel quite a bit domestically and internationally. I always find a lounge to stay in while waiting for flights.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I dumped my Amex platinum a couple years ago. I just wasn't getting the benefits even though I fly over 80k miles a year. There are two good perks of Amex platinum and that are the sky club access and no international transaction fees. Sky club access is good but I already had a lifetime membership and there are several credit cards that stopped charging international transaction fees so for the annual fee, it didn't make sense to me anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Never used the concierge...maybe it's decent?

Has anyone used the $100 credit toward http://www.globalentry.gov ? This supposedly lets you skip long immigration lines.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
mercedes123
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 50i, 18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Never used the concierge...maybe it's decent?

Has anyone used the $100 credit toward http://www.globalentry.gov ? This supposedly lets you skip long immigration lines.
I just applied for global entry last Sunday and Amex credited me the $100 in 3 business days. The whole global entry process is quite simple actually. I was conditionally approved Thursday morning and then went for an interview with Customs/Border Control at PHL airport this morning. They ask straight forward questions and since its free, definitely worth it.

BTW, in case anybody wasn't aware you can now get Hilton Gold Status with the Platinum. If you have travel a lot, the lounge access, $200 credit, Starwood Gold, and Hilton Gold are nice benefits.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

had the platinum for a couple of years but couldnt justify the $450/year fee because i dont travel alot. i downgraded to the green card which is like $95 and still get to enjoy most of the benefits of amex.

if you have had the card for a long time i would not cancel it as it would negatively affect your credit.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I'm happy with my gold card. I just can't justify the price when I'm not traveling as often.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

How useful is the concierge anyways? I couldnt justify it either.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT M3 View Post
It's not useful at all and credit cards with fees are almost all a colossal waste of money. The concierge can't and won't do anything that you couldn't do with 10 minutes of your time and internet access.

I'm basing this assessment off the lackluster and rather pedestrian concierge service offered with the centurion card. The rumors about the centurion concierge service being able to get you sold out tickets to a show or other "special" perks are such a gross exaggeration that it's not even funny. Given how mediocre the centurion concierge is, I can't imagine the platinum concierge being any better.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Yeah as I thought. Services I will never use or would rather do myself. Why call them to have them do what you can do in the time you call them? Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Also fun fact the rumor about the centurion card having no limit is also just the - a rumor. There is a finite monthly limit albeit it's very high ($700,000) and it possibly depends on your financial situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
It's not useful at all and credit cards with fees are almost all a colossal waste of money. The concierge can't and won't do anything that you couldn't do with 10 minutes of your time and internet access.

I'm basing this assessment off the lackluster and rather pedestrian concierge service offered with the centurion card. The rumors about the centurion concierge service being able to get you sold out tickets to a show or other "special" perks are such a gross exaggeration that it's not even funny. Given how mediocre the centurion concierge is, I can't imagine the platinum concierge being any better.
+1
      11-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

I know someone who used their Centurion to get reservations at the French Laundry for Thanksgiving just a few days before the date, when those reservations usually take 2 months to get, if you can even get through on the phone. How common that kind of thing is, I don't know.
I'm happy with my gold card, for everyday spending it's a much better deal than the platinum.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Yeah...if you get it because you want to look like a big swingin' dick in front of your friends, it's idiotic. If you travel frequently, if you have client dinners, if you prefer to stay in good hotels, if you need last minute help with any of the above in an unfamiliar environment, it pays for it's fee right away. Oh...and the concierge is superb.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #18
M3Denver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj
I had the card before and I personally don't think it's worth it.

I use the capital one venture card and get 2 points per dollar which I use for airfare. It was rated very high by consumer reports and money magazine. I have had it for a while so I only pay $39 a year but I think they raised it to $59 now.

I don't think Amex rewards are very competitive when you try to use the points.
Amex platinum is 3 points per dollar . And has a lot of perks w it
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #19
alveoli0
Rep
Drives: 08 135 coupe loaded

Quote:

LOL. They have gotten me tickets to a sold out show on many occasions and in one case tickets to a private invitation only show... just sayin' if you travel lots for pleasure the perks completely cover the annual fee (i.e. free hotel nights, free upgrades, hotel status, etc). Just the suite upgrades on one trip if planned properly cover the fee. I'm staying at the Fairmont Savoy in the UK for two free nights (700 pounds per night each room). If you don't travel and use it for concierge only its not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #20
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Also fun fact the rumor about the centurion card having no limit is also just the - a rumor. There is a finite monthly limit albeit it's very high ($700,000) and it possibly depends on your financial situation.
Unlike their credit cards, there isn't a pre-set limit on any of their charge cards. They base it all on historical spend and "ability" to pay back.

The Centurion card is really no different in that regard except that the card holder is less likely to run into the situation where Amex has a store call to get you on the phone to remind you of this.

I have a friend who puts everything, including all his business expenses (including payroll) on a green Amex in order to get membership rewards points. His monthly bills have been well into the mid six figures in any given month.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #21
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Yellow View Post
Amex concierge is by far the best of all credit card concierge services and has pulled off some pretty impressive reservations and tickets to concerts. Amex was able to get me a last minute reservations at hotels and restaurants that show up as booked. My brother used his amex to get last minute tickets to a sold out Radiohead concert several years ago directly from the venue and at face value
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 10:44 PM   #22
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT M3 View Post

Amex Plat concierge got me front and center tix for Rogers Waters last time when the prime seats were lonnnng gone. I was impressed. Until I found out she booked the right concert on the wrong dates, and in the wrong city.
If u travel, it's with it IMO, if not there are better options
Appreciate 0