E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Spacers Fitted - E91 Msport with MV3

08-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Cool Spacers Fitted - E91 Msport with MV3

Not sure whether this belongs in here or Technical, but that's why we have mods, right?

I was fed up with the way the standard 18" MV3 wheels looked completely lost in the rear arches of my pre-LCI E91. After spending some very enjoyable time browsing the Wheels & Tyres forum, I decided that with the OE offset, I'd need a 15mm spacer to acheive the look I wanted, with no rubbing.

Despite some of the uber cheapo options available, I wanted to stick with a brand I trusted, which really meant either H&R or Eibach. Google found the cheapest place for them was Performance Alloys. Big to these guys, I ordered online, and they called back the next morning to confirm everything, make sure the fitment was right, etc. Very helpful, very easy to deal with.

As well as the spacers, I needed longer bolts. Standard bolt length is 27mm so I wanted 42mm to compensate for the spacer. They had black 42mm bolts listed on their website, but while I was on the phone, they explained they'd have to order them in which could take a few weeks. Instead they offered silver bolts with black caps for the same price - which I was happy with. No locking bolts, I think they're overrated anyway.

BEFORE:

15mm Eibach spacer fitted

Extended 42mm vs standard 27mm wheel bolt

AFTER:

There should still be enough clearance for when I lower it in future, too. I'm very happy with the result. Handling and ride are unaffected, as I'd expected, but it looks so much better. Not over the top, but it looks how I think it should have left the factory now.
      08-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Much better.

Could have painted the fecking hubs though!
      08-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Much better.

Could have painted the fecking hubs though!
That's a job for another day, when I've got a whole day free. Hubs and calipers need doing.
      08-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
Golgarth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 318d M-sport tourer Bus

Subtle, but nice
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Simple,but very effective!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
frankie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320d m sport

You done good Paul looks a lot better
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
HOUCH
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 M SPORT

hi there been looking to do the same with my 2006 m sport e91 recently fitted genuine mv3's ( wider rears.) have looked at several posts and have spoken to couple of suppliers who both have said to go bigger than 12mm on rear or may cause scuffing on inside or arch, the fronts dont look as lost in the arch as the rears and I want the rear track of the car to be wider than the front (prefer that look) but they both advised should go no more than 5mm per side on front, yet have read and seen posts stating 12mm front and 15mm rear fits inside arch's fine no problems. Did you fit spacers to front as well? have you had any problems since you fitted the rears. sorry to bother you just trying to get it right 1st time as dont live near enough to any suppliers to drop in and try various sizes and now confused which size to go for......doh.... and would like feed back from someone with same model as mine before I go ahead...Cheers in advance Houch
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

A noticable improvement.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Don't like to be critical, but I think you might have been sent the wrong spacers. I got H&Rs from Performance Alloys and they are the same diameter as the hub. Your spacers look way too small in diameter. They should be at least an inch wider...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUCH View Post
couple of suppliers who both have said to go bigger than 12mm on rear or may cause scuffing on inside or arch, the fronts dont look as lost in the arch as the rears and I want the rear track of the car to be wider than the front (prefer that look) but they both advised should go no more than 5mm per side on front, yet have read and seen posts stating 12mm front and 15mm rear fits inside arch's fine no problems.
Pre lci can take 20mm front and rear no probelm if you wanted, but 15mm gives a good look, LCI which is 24mm wider track anyway is limited to 10mm front and rear.

I use 10mm front and read on my LCI no issues, it lowered too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Don't like to be critical, but I think you might have been sent the wrong spacers. I got H&Rs from Performance Alloys and they are the same diameter as the hub. Your spacers look way too small in diameter. They should be at least an inch wider...
The OPs spacers are same as mine, no point in them being any larger as the edge of the hub is chamfered, so they wouldn't be in contact with anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #11
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
no point in them being any larger as the edge of the hub is chamfered, so they wouldn't be in contact with anything.
Don't agree Doughboy. I'm talking about the diameter of the spacer versus the diameter of the (flat face, not chamfered) hub. IMHO the spacer should more or less be the same as that of the flat face of the hub (the face the wheel bolts on to). The OP's is well short of that...

Here's a pic of my H&R - you can see there's much less of a 'gap' between the edge of the spacer and the edge of the hub

Name:  Hub 1.jpg
Views: 5998
Size:  100.1 KB
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front

Last edited by Phil325i; 10-25-2012 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Looks good Paul, dare I ask.... total price?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUCH View Post
hi there been looking to do the same with my 2006 m sport e91 recently fitted genuine mv3's ( wider rears.) have looked at several posts and have spoken to couple of suppliers who both have said to go bigger than 12mm on rear or may cause scuffing on inside or arch, the fronts dont look as lost in the arch as the rears and I want the rear track of the car to be wider than the front (prefer that look) but they both advised should go no more than 5mm per side on front, yet have read and seen posts stating 12mm front and 15mm rear fits inside arch's fine no problems. Did you fit spacers to front as well? have you had any problems since you fitted the rears. sorry to bother you just trying to get it right 1st time as dont live near enough to any suppliers to drop in and try various sizes and now confused which size to go for......doh.... and would like feed back from someone with same model as mine before I go ahead...Cheers in advance Houch
I think 12mm applies to the LCI models as they have a wider rear track already. For 100% definite, the 15mm spacers have not caused me any issues, even after lowering.
      10-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #14
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Don't agree Doughboy. I'm talking about the diameter of the spacer versus the diameter of the (flat face, not chamfered) hub. IMHO the spacer should more or less be the same as that of the flat face of the hub (the face the wheel bolts on to). The OP's is well short of that...

Here's a pic of my H&R - you can see there's much less of a 'gap' between the edge of the spacer and the edge of the hub
But your spacers appear to be well overhanging the chamfered hub face, which starts about 15mm from the hub edge. Theres no point in the spacer being larger than the wheel mating face.

The OPs appear to be about 1mm short of the chamfer ridge, same as mine, to give a nice edge with no overhang.

See pics below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I agree with Doughboy. My spacers fitted perfectly against the whole flat area of the disc face.

Dizzle, they're listed now at £103 for the pair, but I'm sure i didn't pay that much! I've been eyeing some up on ebay for the front, at around £60 or £70 including bolts.

Edit: These ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERI...item4606948849
      10-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SAAB 9-3 Aero TTiD

looks so much better mate, are they real or rep mv3s?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Real ones. Came as standard on the car.
      10-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #18
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
I agree with Doughboy. My spacers fitted perfectly against the whole flat area of the disc face.[/url]
I stand corrected then. There are clearly two different types of OEM hubs in use, one with a flat face and one chamfered. You can see from my pic that there's absolutely no chamfer on my hubs. And I have to say Doughboy's hub/brake combo doesn't look OEM to me...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #19
Olagüe
Brigadier General
Spain
Rep
Drives: 333i e92

looks good!
Appreciate 0