E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > An Adventure: Santoni Steering Wheels

01-28-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

An Adventure: Santoni Steering Wheels

I haven't been around here basically at all as I went back to my roots with VWs but I wanted to share an experience since many cars are getting on in age and re-trimming a steering wheel is something that I know can be fairly popular.

A newer friend in my life had graciously passed on a spare USDM MK4 .:R32 steering wheel to me at no cost. I decided I wanted to have my wheel and my original shifter re-covered anyway, so I’d just send the one out he just gave me to get done. These bits are 17 years old and have had, at least in my case, that much California sun, creating a lot of wear.

I looked around, found some quotes and on December 5, 2021 I ended up sending my items to FL to be covered by someone who touted 22 years experience and with an in-writing quote of “a couple of days to get it done.”
It would be more than a week and several communication attempts until receipt of my items was confirmed.

Due (though only in part) to a COVID complication on the merchant’s end, I finally received the following back on January 20, 2022.

I will say this experience has not exactly been a positive one and leave it at that.

There's an Imgur link with results.

View post on imgur.com
      01-29-2022, 08:47 AM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

That should go right back, put to the front of the line and be addressed immediately. They must have ten year olds doing the work and twelve year olds at Quality Control.
      01-30-2022, 01:46 AM   #3
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
That should go right back, put to the front of the line and be addressed immediately. They must have ten year olds doing the work and twelve year olds at Quality Control.
Seems to be a one man operation. He didn’t even really want to own the issues as I pointed them out after receiving the product. Even attempted to turn things on me by saying I asked him to change the pattern. I did no such thing. I only asked for the perforated leather on the sides. The pattern itself doesn’t change because the shape of the wheel isn’t any different, you’re just adding two seams to the existing pattern.

It’s been a pretty sad experience. I’ve lost money on the deal but have been issued a partial refund.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:40 AM   #4
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I wouldn't accept a partial refund, fix the issue and take a refund for the time it takes to fix. Otherwise, stop payment on the credit card or file a complaint with PayPal if you used them. I'd be embarrassed to have it in my car.