E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2A82 Intake VANOS issue only when cold!

04-25-2024, 11:29 AM   #1
justinbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E93

2A82 Intake VANOS issue only when cold!

2011 335is DCT FBO & RB Two's, 144k mi. Wedge tuned about 3k miles ago and has run perfectly since until recently it started occasional 2A82 codes and "engine malfunction" when cold, progressively happened more often and now every time I start off with cold engine it is immediately sluggish taking off then the 2A82 code/limp mode. This is the only code. It only happens until engine at full operating temp and never does once there.

Prior to tune new Pierburg VANOS solenoids were installed and the oil non-return valves were new a year ago and checked before tune and new oil. I replaced in the intake VANOS anyway, then swapped with exhaust and replaced the oil filter cap just in case (looked fine). Ive' hear of cam ledge issues but it seems this would exhibit opposite behavior (has pressure with colder oil then issues when warm?) and I'm unsure what year the metal rings were replaced with improved rings to address this.

Here's a log of a takeoff when it occurs if it helps.

I'm hoping someone with good knowledge on the VANOS system might be able to help troubleshoot this based on the conditions when it occurs, I don't know what else may contribute to this. I'd like to eliminate other possibilities before I tear into the cam ledges. Any assistance is appreciated!

Last edited by justinbmw; 04-28-2024 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0