E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > E92 Performance Exhaust

09-12-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
landman2k1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 F32 435ix

E92 Performance Exhaust

Hey guys! I just pulled the trigger on some RBs and it got me thinking about other mods. See below for full list. I have the stock exhaust now with the JB4 canflap open. Other than being lighter, will I see any performance gains with the PE exhaust? I am happy with the exhaust note as it is, with the DPs, so... Is the sound of the PE that much different than what I have now? At what horsepower will the stock exhaust become restrictive? Thanks!

Last edited by landman2k1; 09-12-2012 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
The sound of the PE is extremely loud with downpipes. If you like your exhaust note now I wouldn't change it. Very minor performance and weight difference with PE. I just removed my PE and put the stock exhaust back on the car and it sounds perfect now. I also have AR DP. I would definitely recommend that you listen to someone who has the PE first before you get it for yourself. You can always remove your secondary cats if you want less restriction.
      09-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

The stock exhaust system isn't very restrictive. With that said, exhaust is the last mod a lot of people do because the bang/buck ratio isn't too good. Most people claim about a 10 HP gain on a full catback exhaust with cat's removed.

The performance exhaust is an axle back so there definitely isn't much to gain in terms of HP but you will definitely enjoy the exhaust note at WOT. I have the dinan exhaust which is also an axle back and I noticed little not no gains. Dinan claims a whopping 6 HP gain. It's a good thing I only paid $400 for it
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400 View Post
The sound of the PE is extremely loud with downpipes. If you like your exhaust note now I wouldn't change it. Very minor performance and weight difference with PE. I just removed my PE and put the stock exhaust back on the car and it sounds perfect now. I also have AR DP. I would definitely recommend that you listen to someone who has the PE first before you get it for yourself. You can always remove your secondary cats if you want less restriction.

LCD withstanding as I'm pretty sure that would come first, even before any ECU tune. What's the next bang for the buck improvement, would it be an FMIC or the CAI? I only ask as I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP with an ECU tune only and wonder what my next step should be. Not sure I want to go with DPs as I'm looking at more of a sleeper effect rather than winning the decibel war.

Last edited by shortseller; 09-12-2012 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
LCD withstanding as I'm pretty sure that would come first, even before any ECU tune. What's the next bang for the buck improvement, would it be an FMIC or the CAI? I only ask as I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP with an ECU tune only and wonder what my next step should be. Not sure I want to go with DPs as I'm looking at more of a sleeper effect rather than wining the decibel war.
I'm FBO with DCI, 7" HPF FMIC, VRSF DP's, PROcede PWM Meth, PROcede Flex Tune with sensor and flash, and PROcede v3. Still run the stock mid pipe with secondary cats and mufflers with the flap solenoid unplugged. It's a sleeper until you hit 4000 rpm and I have this nice rasp that stays outside the car but is very noticeable. But, I have a coupe and I have been told the sedan has additional baffles. Were making with 50/50 e85 on a low reading Mustang Dyno, we are making almost 420 RWHP. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to Dyno on FFTEC's heart breaker like skinrock, but we have basically the same setup accept for he didn't have his meth hooked up the other day. I'm thinking with 100% meth I should be in the 430 to 450 range. So I think it's safe to say the stock exhaust should handle 500 hp... If not, you'll know quick enough...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
landman2k1
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys! I just spoke with Rob and he said that he would recommend an aftermarket exhaust only when trying to make the absolute max power, but if I prefer the sound that I have now over the 15-20 HP that I would see on RBs, then I should skip it.
      09-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
landman2k1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
LCD withstanding as I'm pretty sure that would come first, even before any ECU tune. What's the next bang for the buck improvement, would it be an FMIC or the CAI? I only ask as I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP with an ECU tune only and wonder what my next step should be. Not sure I want to go with DPs as I'm looking at more of a sleeper effect rather than winning the decibel war.
My second mod, after the tune, was the AR DPs. You will still be a sleeper, until you go WOT, but at that point your not really a sleeper any more! Then I went with intake and meth. The only reason I am upgrading FMIC is because i just ordered RBs. Some may disagree, but I wouldn't upgrade your FMIC until you have heat soaked the car. If you don't ever push the car that hard, then no reason for FMIC. And since the stock exhaust is probably good for my HP goals, I will probably stay stock.
      09-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
I would say LSD or intercooler before considering an exhaust when thinking of other mods to compliment upgraded new turbos... just my opinion.