E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > HOAs are the devil

11-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
GatorF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EBII F30

HOAs are the devil

A friend of mine was just banned from his neighborhood Facebook page (ran by the HOA) because he described Cox Cable as "shitty." The admins told him he had to apologize to the HOA board and they would vote to let him back in. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share this page and the fireworks it contains...There's a lot of awesome chaos happening on there right now as the residents have been split. He's asking folks to bombard the page with join requests, and had over 50 yesterday.

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32791722371
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

IMHO anyone that purchases a property with a mandatory HOA is daft

Facebook sorta falls into the same category of dumb shit imho
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post

In some parts of the country they are everywhere and choices available where there is no HOA may not be desirable for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorF30 View Post
A friend of mine was just banned from his neighborhood Facebook page (ran by the HOA) because he described Cox Cable as "shitty." The admins told him he had to apologize to the HOA board and they would vote to let him back in. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Actually a neighborhood Facebook page run by the HOA is good competition for "most ridiculous" status.
      11-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I would choose without but didn't get that luxury
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #5
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:

IMHO anyone that overlooks a property because HOA is daft.

There are areas I would never want to live in because the lack of an HOA or city ordinances has done a huge disservice to the overall feel of the neighborhood/area.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328iT

Our HOA maintains boat docks and the swimming pool. All 33 residences in the neighborhood seem to appreciate the convenience of not having to buy and maintain these facilities by themselves, and everyone is appreciative of the 9 volunteer board members.

If we had a FB page and someone published profane language on it, we would probably also ban the member from that page, or at least delete the comment and issue a warning. It is not an appropriate post for a page that might be viewed by children in the community. It helps to look at things from all sides before concluding that it is unreasonable.
PoorLurker1136.50
Zippster460.00
MKSixer34184.50
      11-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater328iT View Post
Our HOA maintains boat docks and the swimming pool. All 33 residences in the neighborhood seem to appreciate the convenience of not having to buy and maintain these facilities by themselves, and everyone is appreciative of the 9 volunteer board members.

If we had a FB page and someone published profane language on it, we would probably also ban the member from that page, or at least delete the comment and issue a warning. It is not an appropriate post for a page that might be viewed by children in the community. It helps to look at things from all sides before concluding that it is unreasonable.

And the blue bloods have spoken.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

LOL! Maybe the "Bluewater" bloods.
      11-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
In some parts of the country they are everywhere and choices available where there is no HOA may not be desirable for a variety of reasons.

People always have a choice

Whether they choose to exercise it or not is on them.

You buy a house in a community with a mandatory HOA then you shouldnt bitch about no longer having any property rights worth spit

Play stupid games
Win stupid prizes
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #10
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
IMHO anyone that overlooks a property because HOA is daft.

There are areas I would never want to live in because the lack of an HOA or city ordinances has done a huge disservice to the overall feel of the neighborhood/area.
Again.....purchase a property in a mandatory HOA community and you dont really own the property

I've seen HOA's go from good to tyrannical too many times to count

If you're going to be a temporary blow in from somewhere else and have no intention of staying long term an HOA community can work

Long term situations have a bad habit of going sideways when a couple of busy body napoleon's decide they are going to do things for your own good.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #11
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I'm not a fan of HOA's either. A townhouse we rented about 7 years ago was rented to us by an individual who also happened to be the HOA president of the neighborhood. He was a huge d-bag! We found out a couple weeks after moving in that the house was in foreclosure by the owner and was constantly wanting to show the property which we weren't having any of that since it wasn't in our lease agreement.
I changed the name of my router to "his name is a douche bag" about a week or 2 later we received a letter in the mail stating defamation of character blah blah blah. We managed to get out of that lease pretty quickly and moved elsewhere.

I ran into that same asshole a few years later in traffic and I assumed he was showing the lone passenger in the back seat of his car properties. He happened to have his windows down and I let the guy in the back seat know that his real estate agent was a fucking piece of shit!! The look on his face was priceless!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #12
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

HOAs are only as good as the people on the board. I have been on the board in two communities. One had 1200 homes and at present in another one with 33 homes.

So if you are in an HOA, you can have no influence if you never attend meetings or participate, or you can have your property's pro rata share of influence by at least voting on issues when requested, or you can have much more influence by participating on the board or committees to offset the negative influence of some homeowners who come up with unpopular or unwise ideas about how the community should be run.

Most of the comments I see here are about specific individuals on the board or in the community, rather than HOAs. Like any other neighborhood, you have the risk of having good neighbors or bad neighbors unless you can buy enough land to isolate yourself.
      11-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #13
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
HOAs are only as good as the people on the board. I have been on the board in two communities. One had 1200 homes and at present in another one with 33 homes.

So if you are in an HOA, you can have no influence if you never attend meetings or participate, or you can have your property's pro rata share of influence by at least voting on issues when requested, or you can have much more influence by participating on the board or committees to offset the negative influence of some homeowners who come up with unpopular or unwise ideas about how the community should be run.

Most of the comments I see here are about specific individuals on the board or in the community, rather than HOAs. Like any other neighborhood, you have the risk of having good neighbors or bad neighbors unless you can buy enough land to isolate yourself.
Simply remove the HOA from the equasion and you're only subject to local zoning/ordinances
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #14
Bluewater328iT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Simply remove the HOA from the equasion and you're only subject to local zoning/ordinances
You are also subject to having good neighbors or bad neighbors...
      11-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:

People always have a choice

Whether they choose to exercise it or not is on them.

You buy a house in a community with a mandatory HOA then you shouldnt bitch about no longer having any property rights worth spit

Play stupid games
Win stupid prizes
I didn't say there were no choices but rather that choices with no HOA may be limited and undesirable in a particular area for one reason or another. While I would prefer no HOA, I would not automatically rule out properties with an HOA. I prefer my newer home with city water and sewer (and HOA with low dues) better than an equivalent home I could have purchased one neighborhood over with no HOA, but septic and well water.

You sound like you don't really understand how HOAs work. Perhaps you can tell us how you developed such a strong opinion on them and saw such drama with HOAs since it sounds like you would never consider owning a property that has an HOA.
      11-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #16
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

^ if you've been following any of the Politics subforum, you'll realize that jpnh often makes sweeping over-generalizations and hyperbole to make a point. His posts should never be taken literally.

HOA's are just another layer of oversight (like the local, state and federal government) except that here, they represent the common interests of a housing community. Just like any other governing body, they can be susceptible to the abuse of power, but there are always ways to use the system to remove those who abuse that power.

And no, you don't lose your property rights because there's an HOA. And no, you're not just subject to zoning laws; even without HOAs you're subject to a vast myriad of laws governing what you can and can't do on your property. If you really think about it, no one really has an unalienable right to real property in the US, as the government has eminent domain rights (for just compensation).

The benefit of HOAs is that it gives the community enforceable rights against your use of your property as well as your neighbor's use of their property. Ultimately the purpose is to keep home values up. For example, a homeowner can't just park their junkyard eyesore of a Winnebago on their driveway and thus drive every neighbor's home value into the ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #17
cruisingdownthestreet
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4

i don't mean to sidetrack us all, but do HOA board members make money? if so, how much and who makes the most?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

No unless they misappropriate funds
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 01:12 AM   #19
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

There is a sick part of me that gets a little envious of this - it just begs to be an outlet for all that inappropriate adolescent type antiauthoritarian energy. Much safer than taking it to work. Then I think about my own busybody neighbors, and remember why I outgrew 'poking stupid' for fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 01:48 AM   #20
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You are also subject to having good neighbors or bad neighbors...
And HOA's dont change that.....you still have shitty neighbors from time to time....now you just get shitty neighbors who ALSO control the HOA......
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 01:50 AM   #21
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
^ if you've been following any of the Politics subforum, you'll realize that jpnh often makes sweeping over-generalizations and hyperbole to make a point. His posts should never be taken literally..
You really should get that butt hurt looked at....

If allowed to go untreated it can get really nasty
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 01:53 AM   #22
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I didn't say there were no choices but rather that choices with no HOA may be limited and undesirable in a particular area for one reason or another. While I would prefer no HOA, I would not automatically rule out properties with an HOA. I prefer my newer home with city water and sewer (and HOA with low dues) better than an equivalent home I could have purchased one neighborhood over with no HOA, but septic and well water.

You sound like you don't really understand how HOAs work. Perhaps you can tell us how you developed such a strong opinion on them and saw such drama with HOAs since it sounds like you would never consider owning a property that has an HOA.
Been there
Done that
Got the merit badge

Been on city water and sewer and have seen lots of nasty HOA bullschtein

I'm on a private well and septic now with no HOA in a state that generally speaking respect private property rights
Appreciate 0