E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 bulb kit

05-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #1
Sparks69
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Touring

E91 bulb kit

I'm taking my E91 320d to France soon. I'm looking for a bulb kit, do I have to buy the BMW kit. I'm not sue if Halfords do one.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Check out your handbook, get one of each different type from somewhere like Asda, Wilco or the like. Put them in a box in the boot where you will forget about them!

DO NOT forget that you now need at least one Hi-Vis jacket/waistcoat INSIDE the car (not in the boot) for France (more for other countries). (£3.44 at Screwfix atm).

No need to go to BMW unless you want to waste money - you'll need all the cash you can get going to France with the Euro/£ exchange rate.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks69 View Post
I'm taking my E91 320d to France soon. I'm looking for a bulb kit, do I have to buy the BMW kit. I'm not sue if Halfords do one.
It's not mandatory to carry a bulb kit in France.

Many other things (hi viz jacket, triangle etc) but not a bulb kit
      05-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
ab2pcs
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320i M sport plus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
It's not mandatory to carry a bulb kit in France.

Many other things (hi viz jacket, triangle etc) but not a bulb kit
You do need sapre bulb kit

http://click-parts.co.uk/content/dri...-checklist.php

http://www.consumabulbs.com/content/...FQNP4QoddmU1kA
      05-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
A good thing to carry? Yes

Recommended (by a company that sells them)? Sure. In the same way it's a good idea to carry one in the UK

A legal requirement in France? NO
      05-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #6
ab2pcs
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
The spare bulbs my not be LAW after all ,however , I'd have them and avoid the chance of 90e on the spot fine

Warning triangle: if your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident, you must give warning to approaching traffic by placing a warning triangel 50 - 150 metres behind your vehicle. The use of hazard warning lights alone is not enough.
A complete set of light bulbs: all lamps, including lenses and reflectors must be in working order, even during daylight hours. Failure to be in a position to replace an exterior bulb could result in temporary cessation of your journey and/or an on-the-spot fine.
Headlamp beam adaptors: failure to adapt your headlamps at any time, day or night, will render your vehicle unfit for use on the road and could invalidate your motor insurance.
GB sticker: required by law to indicate country of registration.
First Aid kit and fire extinguisher: The European Good Samaritan Law requires every driver to stop and provide assistance when an accident is encountered, providing it is safe to do so. This may require a first aid kit and fire extinguisher and it is advisable to have these items when driving in France.
Reflective vest: Anyone providing roadside assistance or leaving a stranded vehicle should always wear a reflective vest for their own safety. This is now a legal requirement in a number of European countries. (EU ref: RD1428/2003 and Art.162 Cod4 Bis4 Ter - CDS 2003.)
Driving licence, insurance certificate and vehicle registration documents must be shown at any roadside controls. ......Dont forget to inform your Insurance Company of your trip
      05-31-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

I assume that the bulb set only needs to contain bulbs that I could change myself without going to a garage, otherwise what would be the point. Most of my OEM lights are LED or HID which I cant change. I think the only ones I could change are front fogs, reversing lights and brake lights.
Also it is not possible to alter the beam pattern of my HIDs and the BMW beam bender stick on stuff is not designed to work with HIDs either - so I didnt bother and had no complaints from other drivers during my recent drive to the Ring and back.
      06-01-2011, 03:22 AM   #8
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2pcs View Post
The spare bulbs my not be LAW after all ,however , I'd have them and avoid the chance of 90e on the spot fine

Warning triangle: if your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident, you must give warning to approaching traffic by placing a warning triangel 50 - 150 metres behind your vehicle. The use of hazard warning lights alone is not enough.
A complete set of light bulbs: all lamps, including lenses and reflectors must be in working order, even during daylight hours. Failure to be in a position to replace an exterior bulb could result in temporary cessation of your journey and/or an on-the-spot fine.
Headlamp beam adaptors: failure to adapt your headlamps at any time, day or night, will render your vehicle unfit for use on the road and could invalidate your motor insurance.
GB sticker: required by law to indicate country of registration.
First Aid kit and fire extinguisher: The European Good Samaritan Law requires every driver to stop and provide assistance when an accident is encountered, providing it is safe to do so. This may require a first aid kit and fire extinguisher and it is advisable to have these items when driving in France.
Reflective vest: Anyone providing roadside assistance or leaving a stranded vehicle should always wear a reflective vest for their own safety. This is now a legal requirement in a number of European countries. (EU ref: RD1428/2003 and Art.162 Cod4 Bis4 Ter - CDS 2003.)
Driving licence, insurance certificate and vehicle registration documents must be shown at any roadside controls. ......Dont forget to inform your Insurance Company of your trip
You know I hate websites like the one you have copied and pasted the above from.

They lead you to believe you have to buy loads of stuff before you travel abroad to be legal and then go on to provide links to "help" you buy said items.

Indeed the Good Samaritan rule is an open cheque book for some resellers as the requirement is for you to stop and help. To then suggest you should carry a first aid kit or fire extinguisher in the same breath is misleading. What next? A thermal blanket and cutting gear.

Yes stop and help but for god sake, unless you are qualified you should leave first aid to the emergency services.

Rant over

PS

And you are still not legally obliged to carry a bulb kit
      06-01-2011, 03:43 AM   #9
ab2pcs
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
I know what your on about M@rk , and agree with you on the "And you are still not legally obliged to carry a bulb kit", however how can you be able to change a buld if you dont have spares ...is it a grey area , and down to the pc who stops you > ?.

The copy and paste was from a web page yes , not one trying to sell you any gear for a trip tho, it was just a search for what to take when driving in France .....BTW , Ive been over there quiet a few times when I lived in Kent and never bothered with spares either .....I 'd say years ago when you could just pop a bulb in and out in 2 mins ....not with LED or HID ,Xenon etc.
No rant at all
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2pcs View Post
I know what your on about M@rk , and agree with you on the "And you are still not legally obliged to carry a bulb kit", however how can you be able to change a buld if you dont have spares ...is it a grey area , and down to the pc who stops you > ?.
If I have a bulb fail and I don't have a bulb kit (although I never said it wasn't a good idea to carry spares), there is actually a BMW solution.

BMW Assist

They will direct you to the nearest dealer who can help you in your hour of need because let's be honest, the fact you have to take off half of the front of the car to get to some of the bulbs we are talking about here isn't exactly something you are going to do yourself at the side of the road anyway and most of the rears (except the indicators) are either multiple LED bulbs or doubled up bulbs anyway.