E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 'RIM Smart Phone Integration' worth getting Blackberry Torch over Iphone 4?

10-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Doctor T
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 430i xDrive, AW E90 LCI M-S

'RIM Smart Phone Integration' worth getting Blackberry Torch over Iphone 4?

I don't know if anybody has this RIM Smart Phone Integration yet, but I'm looking at getting a new phone to replace my WinMobile HTC Diamond.

My 2011 335i on order will be my first bimmer w/ bluetooth and I'd like to get the most out of it.

While the iPhone looks more slick, it seems to me the BlackBerry Torch wins in terms of BMW connectivity features unless I'm missing something(?) Any reason for me not to get the BlackBerry? I don't understand the value of the new 'Ipod Out' interface or if my car will have it.

The phone will be for personal use, not business. Any thoughts/ opinions welcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
335isGuy
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw 340xi Msport

Garage List
I believe it's still in Europe only. I asked my buddy at my dealer and said they don't know if it's coming or when?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Hey Doctor, you won't have iPod Out yet. That's coming in calendar year 2011. It MAY be upgradable on cars produced after September, since they said one of the advantages of September production's TCU is that it is upgradeable down the road...

Now as far as connectivity, from what I've read, the only extra you'll get from a Blackberry integrating with iDrive as opposed to iPhone 4 is email on the screen and calendars. A fellow poster from England mentioned he saw his SMS on the iDrive screen of a F10 he test drove, and he had the iPhone 4. You'll also get better entertainment integration, with iPod and cover art support, as well as Bluetooth music streaming.

I'd go for the iPhone; it's easier to use, more consumer oriented, better apps, and in my opinion, better web and email experience as well. You'll get answers both ways though, so you'll have to check them out and see which one you prefer. I also prefer the iPhone's keyboard which in my opinion is faster than a physical keyboard once you get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335isGuy View Post
I believe it's still in Europe only. I asked my buddy at my dealer and said they don't know if it's coming or when?
No this is coming here as well. It was posted in a BMW NA bulletin back in July. The features may differ, but as far as the bulletin specified, we're getting it as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Doctor T
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
Hey Doctor, you won't have iPod Out yet. That's coming in calendar year 2011. It MAY be upgradable on cars produced after September, since they said one of the advantages of September production's TCU is that it is upgradeable down the road...

Now as far as connectivity, from what I've read, the only extra you'll get from a Blackberry integrating with iDrive as opposed to iPhone 4 is email on the screen and calendars. A fellow poster from England mentioned he saw his SMS on the iDrive screen of a F10 he test drove, and he had the iPhone 4. You'll also get better entertainment integration, with iPod and cover art support, as well as Bluetooth music streaming.

I'd go for the iPhone; it's easier to use, more consumer oriented, better apps, and in my opinion, better web and email experience as well. You'll get answers both ways though, so you'll have to check them out and see which one you prefer. I also prefer the iPhone's keyboard which in my opinion is faster than a physical keyboard once you get used to it.
Thanks bdardashti. I do like the iPhone for the reasons you mentioned, but just a few clarifications:

- I thought the 'Bluetooth music streaming' was a RIM integration feature not iPod according to the sticky post, although I don't see why it would be limited to a RIM phone.
- From what I've read, the BlackBerry email and text messages would not only be onscreen, but also read aloud to you a la text-to-speech, which seems pretty cool to me. Is the Cover Flow only for iPod - I would've thought any mp3 w/ cover art would work even from USB key for example - no?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
campbelly
AC Schnitzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

have you guys even used/held the torch? its shit...a paperweight, its top heavy and the OS is garbage...clearly you know what choice i made already but i think you should try it out first, me and my bro really didnt like it but thats my $.02
      10-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

My RIM Storm 2 BT connects nicely on my 07 E92. It will do all you want and more with the updated features coming. Get the Blackberry!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I'm still waiting for that jack-ass to post: Droid!

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor T View Post
Thanks bdardashti. I do like the iPhone for the reasons you mentioned, but just a few clarifications:

- I thought the 'Bluetooth music streaming' was a RIM integration feature not iPod according to the sticky post, although I don't see why it would be limited to a RIM phone.
- From what I've read, the BlackBerry email and text messages would not only be onscreen, but also read aloud to you a la text-to-speech, which seems pretty cool to me. Is the Cover Flow only for iPod - I would've thought any mp3 w/ cover art would work even from USB key for example - no?
- BT music streaming is honestly not an Apple or RIM feature - Bluetooth foundation (or w/e their name is) made it, and Apple, RIM, and BMW are all supporting it (amongst other makers). Basically any device with BT A2DP (which means stereo audio streaming) would work with the BMW system.
- That's true, it is also read out, but you can get text to speech to read a bunch of things. If the iPhone text does in fact get on the iDrive display, you'll be able to listen to those as well. But email is limited to BB, at least for the time being.

My car is here tomorrow and although I'm not taking delivery until the 25th, I'm going to drop in the next few days and check it out. I'll figure out exactly how it works with my iPhone 4 and will report back. If you don't see a post from me, feel free to msg me by Friday.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #10
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

I'd prefer iphone 4 over torch... which is POS phone in my opinion... it just looks and feels bulky.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
Doctor T
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

@bdardashti: definitely interested in what you can find out w/ your iPhone, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
platinumcars
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
- BT music streaming is honestly not an Apple or RIM feature - Bluetooth foundation (or w/e their name is) made it, and Apple, RIM, and BMW are all supporting it (amongst other makers). Basically any device with BT A2DP (which means stereo audio streaming) would work with the BMW system.
- That's true, it is also read out, but you can get text to speech to read a bunch of things. If the iPhone text does in fact get on the iDrive display, you'll be able to listen to those as well. But email is limited to BB, at least for the time being.

My car is here tomorrow and although I'm not taking delivery until the 25th, I'm going to drop in the next few days and check it out. I'll figure out exactly how it works with my iPhone 4 and will report back. If you don't see a post from me, feel free to msg me by Friday.

Keep in mind this message has been edited by 'the man' <3 hahaha whats up babak

Last edited by platinumcars; 10-19-2010 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: external forces
Appreciate 0