E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Well bugger me!!

01-28-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Currently Seat Leon Cupra FR

Well bugger me!!

Well bugger me, if I didn't go and buy the 135i!!

After a test drive and alot of soul searching (and arm twisting by my wife) it is the best car for me.

The test drive was awesome, the 1 is a real racer whereas the 3 is more of a cruiser. If you wanna read my write up, have a look at the following on 1addicts.com

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3851

Both have the pros and cons IMHO.

For the 3: Size, looks and prestige
For the 1: handling (better than the 3), price and my wife hasn't got one!!

Cons for the 3: price, run flats, my wife's got one
Cons for the 1: no rear leg room, not as good looking as the 3 and the sat nav is just wrong!!

Ah well, just to say thanks for the advice and help - shame my tenure in the 3 forum was so short - I will post about my wife's car as and when though.

Enjoy your 3s all and look out those in the UK for a red 1 smiling at you

Michael H
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Well done Puma, sure you'll love it
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumaknight View Post
Well bugger me, if I didn't go and buy the 135i!!

After a test drive and alot of soul searching (and arm twisting by my wife) it is the best car for me.

The test drive was awesome, the 1 is a real racer whereas the 3 is more of a cruiser. If you wanna read my write up, have a look at the following on 1addicts.com

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3851

Both have the pros and cons IMHO.

For the 3: Size, looks and prestige
For the 1: handling (better than the 3), price and my wife hasn't got one!!

Cons for the 3: price, run flats, my wife's got one
Cons for the 1: no rear leg room, not as good looking as the 3 and the sat nav is just wrong!!

Ah well, just to say thanks for the advice and help - shame my tenure in the 3 forum was so short - I will post about my wife's car as and when though.

Enjoy your 3s all and look out those in the UK for a red 1 smiling at you

Michael H
I think the 1 is a more natural progression from the go-kart like Leon's you have been used to!

(don't forget my pics - pm me when you can )
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

That's cool to hear. I haven't really seen a 1 series at the dealership. But then again i haven't went to check them out if they had it. I will be looking into it (128) as my neice is looking to get into a new car in the new future.

If you DO get it in red, good choice in color.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
I think the 1 is a more natural progression from the go-kart like Leon's you have been used to!

(don't forget my pics - pm me when you can )
You are probably right :-).

i still prefer the looks of the 3 but my wife looked at me with those big eyes and uttered the fatal words of " so you will be getting a better car than mine?"

i will get the pics to you asap, but most likely Saturday - got access to internet away from home, but not enough to upload photos etc.

I will pm you tonight though.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmister View Post
That's cool to hear. I haven't really seen a 1 series at the dealership. But then again i haven't went to check them out if they had it. I will be looking into it (128) as my neice is looking to get into a new car in the new future.

If you DO get it in red, good choice in color.
Red it is -
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Sedona red is a nice colour.

I agree with all yoru statements. Im sure the 1 may handle better. Im yet to drive one. The 3 is a looker tho.

Congtats and when do you pick up?

Carlos
      01-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Sedona red is a nice colour.

I agree with all yoru statements. Im sure the 1 may handle better. Im yet to drive one. The 3 is a looker tho.

Congtats and when do you pick up?

Carlos
Why do people feel that the 135i handles better?

It has better brakes than the 3 series, but beyond that I am surprised.

In general car mags like EVO have found that the 330i outhandles the 130i, so I am kind of intrigued by these comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
IM guessing,

it probably does not handle any better. I cant judge as Dave will jump down my throat.

But im sure its track is not as wide as the three and its tryes not as wide.

Its wheel base im sure is shorter.

It aint even much lighter.

If Evo mag rekons the 3 series handles better then so be it. They have driven both.
      01-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #10
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Why do people feel that the 135i handles better?

It has better brakes than the 3 series, but beyond that I am surprised.

In general car mags like EVO have found that the 330i outhandles the 130i, so I am kind of intrigued by these comments.
This is all just my opinion and subject to my driving style. But the obvious differences are the location of the wheels and the location of the driver and of course the M suspension kit :-)

The 1 has a shorter wheel base and the wheels more in the corners. The 3 doesn't and as such is more prone to weight shift to the rear causing o/s under braking and cornering.

The driver in the 1 sits lower than the 3 therefore lowering the centre of gravity. And as it nearly weighs the same, the dynamic mass of the car through the corner is more predictable.

So the result is a car that jsut feels far more stable in handling that the 3 - that is not to say the 3 is a bad handling car, it is not by any means.

Hope that helps a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #11
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Quote:
You are probably right :-).

i still prefer the looks of the 3 but my wife looked at me with those big eyes and uttered the fatal words of " so you will be getting a better car than mine?"

i will get the pics to you asap, but most likely Saturday - got access to internet away from home, but not enough to upload photos etc.

I will pm you tonight though.
I had that too - so we got a 1.25 Fiesta for the Mrs.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
This is all just my opinion and subject to my driving style. But the obvious differences are the location of the wheels and the location of the driver and of course the M suspension kit :-)

The 1 has a shorter wheel base and the wheels more in the corners. The 3 doesn't and as such is more prone to weight shift to the rear causing o/s under braking and cornering.

The driver in the 1 sits lower than the 3 therefore lowering the centre of gravity. And as it nearly weighs the same, the dynamic mass of the car through the corner is more predictable.

So the result is a car that jsut feels far more stable in handling that the 3 - that is not to say the 3 is a bad handling car, it is not by any means.

Hope that helps a bit.
errr... if the weight transfer to the rear is happening under braking there are some serious issues that need to be addressed with the aid of a Mr Newton. Either that or Carlos has been demoing J-turns to you.

Whilst I only have experience of the hatchback I think that puma is making a fair point as to the feel of the 1.

It is smaller inside and as such encloses you more so that the car seems to shrink that little bit more around you. The smaller size and wheelbase add to the feeling of chuckability. Plus the sports suspension on the 1 is harder than that on the 3, so you feel more of what's going on.

The 3 on the other hand is probably just as capable, but the slightly softer springing makes you think you are closer to the limit than you are and the size of it lends a little more stability when travelling at speed on those autobahn's.

It's perhaps more of a case that the 1 is slightly more involving a drive, whereas the 3 is a little more refined.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #13
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
errr... if the weight transfer to the rear is happening under braking there are some serious issues that need to be addressed with the aid of a Mr Newton. Either that or Carlos has been demoing J-turns to you.
Opps, didn't mean that - spot the deliberate mistake - meant to say that the back is prone to being lose under braking and cornering due to the weight and overhang of the car!! DOH!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
OOOPS. I love my 3.
      01-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Hope that helps a bit.
The 3 series has the option of the m-suspension kit as well (standard on the 335i coupe) so that wouldn't differentiate between the handling. I also doubt that the driver sits any lower in the 1 series than in an msport 3 series. I practically sit on the floor in mine.

A shorter wheelbase isn't necessarily a good thing when it comes to handling and a narrower track is generally a bad thing.

The 3 series is also hardly dogged by extensive overhangs. The vast majority of the weight is between the wheels - where it should be.

Instinctively you would expect the 1 series to be a little more jittery because of the shorter wheel base and more snappy at the limit.

I think this is why the 130i has slightly underperformed against the 330i on a track.

If the 135i coupe was significantly lighter than the 335i it would have an advantage, but it doesn't.

However, the 135i DOES have much improved brakes and that will make a really massive difference.

Either way .. it's a great car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
The 3 series is one of the best handling cars out there and beats its competitors hands down!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
The 3 series is one of the best handling cars out there and beats its competitors hands down!!
you know that bud. A 335i beat an rs4 round a track in america. On fifth gear a 335i beat an s5 around a track also...
      01-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
you know that bud. A 335i beat an rs4 round a track in america. On fifth gear a 335i beat an s5 around a track also...
The S5 doesn't handle that well from what I have read.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
What sources NFS?
      01-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #20
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The S5 doesn't handle that well from what I have read.
I'd read the opposite - Viv may want to move this blatant thread hijack into its own thread??
      01-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #21
harpalb
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 Biturbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
And the alpina's are the best of the 3 series....!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Alpinwah. Still aint seen a E92 B3 on the road yet.