E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can anyone answer my question?

06-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
Tulsadriven335
Vorstiener
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Exclamation Can anyone answer my question?

So i got my AA BOV in the mail and installed it the same day. But when i turn my auto 335 on and it was in "idle" the piston is not closed shut, rather it is open somewhat, isnt it supposed to be shut while in idle? I tightened the screw and nut on the top all the way down, but the piston is still open just during idle and no throttle. Can anyone tell me if this is wrong? am i leaking boost? and where do i go from here iif i am leaking boost?

Im thinking that i just need to add a stronger spring? or am i going crazy?any help would be greatly appreciated guys?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

My bov stays open also on idle but it doesn't suck air in rather blow out. Here just read this it will explain alot on how a bov works. Springs don't close the bov high vaccum and boost does.

The Blow Off Valve (BOV) is one of the most misunderstood products in the automotive aftermarket. The goal of this article is to clear up some of the common myths about BOVs and explain how blow off valves really work and how to adjust them properly. Please read this article in its entirety prior to installation of any aftermarket BOV; your turbochargers life may depend on it!

As you know, the purpose of a BOV is to make that cool "PSSSSHHHH" sound when you let off the accelerator. The secondary purpose is to prevent waves of high pressure from slamming into the compressor wheel on your turbo when your throttle plate slams shut, extending turbo longevity.

BOV Myth #1: The adjustment screw on top of an aftermarket BOV adjusts the sound that the BOV makes.

This is the most dangerous myth of all. If you hear a different sound from adjusting this screw, it means you are getting compressor surge which could destroy your turbo.

All this screw does is adjust the preload on your BOV spring. BOV's have a small metal plate on top of the spring. The screw screws directly into this plate, compressing the spring. Tightening it (turning it right/in) will compress the spring, increasing the spring energy. Loosening it (turning it left/out) will decompress the spring, lowering the spring energy. (Side note: you can achieve the exact same effect by placing washers/shims on top of the BOV spring.) As you will read below, the BOV spring should be adjusted to the lightest level possible while still holding your BOV shut during high vacuum conditions.

BOV Myth #2: The spring in a BOV holds the BOV closed during moments of high boost.

First thing is first: The purpose of the spring in a BOV IS NOT to hold your BOV closed under boost pressure! Selecting a spring based on PSI is incredibly confusing/meaningless and it makes us wonder if the people who pioneered aftermarket BOV design in the first place even understood how they work.

All BOVs have a reference line coming into the top of the BOV from your post-throttle body intake manifold. Under high boost, the force holding the BOV closed is BOOST! The pressure coming through the reference line is equal to the pressure under the BOV piston. Therefore a VERY mild spring will hold it shut just fine under these conditions.
Rather, the purpose of the spring in a BOV is to hold the BOV closed when your throttle plate is closed, IE during idle and deceleration conditions. Under these conditions, the vacuum in your intake manifold is much higher than the vacuum in your intake piping (therefore under the BOV piston) so the BOV has a natural tendency to spring open. Being open isn't even a problem if you are recirculating your BOV into your intake, however if you are NOT recirculating, it can allow unfiltered air into your intake which IS a problem.

Therefore, your goal when selecting a BOV spring and adjusting the BOV should NOT be to select a spring based on your boost level; that makes no sense. Your goal is to get the BOV to stay CLOSED during high intake manifold vacuum/closed throttle plate conditions, using the very smallest amount of spring energy possible. Using less spring energy will allow the BOV to snap open as rapidly as possible when pressure release is necessary

Have a friend just touch or push the gas pedal and you look at the bov piston it will shut, now if you are under boost or high vaccum it will stay shut.
      06-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Tulsadriven335
Vorstiener
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
My bov stays open also on idle but it doesn't suck air in rather blow out. Here just read this it will explain alot on how a bov works. Springs don't close the bov high vaccum and boost does.
Therefore, your goal when selecting a BOV spring and adjusting the BOV should NOT be to select a spring based on your boost level; that makes no sense. Your goal is to get the BOV to stay CLOSED during high intake manifold vacuum/closed throttle plate conditions, using the very smallest amount of spring energy possible. Using less spring energy will allow the BOV to snap open as rapidly as possible when pressure release is necessary[/B]

Have a friend just touch or push the gas pedal and you look at the bov piston it will shut, now if you are under boost or high vaccum it will stay shut.

I have read this post about 3 times before...

so it should be closed when at idle right, no throttle? but mine does not close. am i understanding wrong? different for auto and manual? Im just really afraid im losing boost w it open..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Its only open at idle as soon as you touch the pedal the valve closes and stays close under boost, so no you are not losing any boost. Different bov operate differently on each cars. Like I said I have a bov kit and a boost gauge and I have not seen any boost lost because under boost the valves slams shut and stays shut, and mines is open at idle only.
      06-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Dan335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6MT,w/sp. pack.

The tighter you turn the screw and nut on top of the bov,the tighter your making the spring.In other words your making it so tight as to hold the max amount of boost your bov will hold.Doing that all your gonna get is bov flutter,and your car will run like crap everytime you let your foot off the gas when shifting.Depending on how much boost your running you should start off on the weakest setting,and then turn the screw (stiffening the spring) little at a time until your car is running great and of course holding the boost you have.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
SouthCali335
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92/E46

They are all open during idle...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

here are some pictures of how a bov works, I know it is a greddy type s but very simular to Tail and HKS.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So the lower nipple helps to push the plate up, when after you let off the throttle or at idle?

Last edited by Terrance28; 06-13-2009 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 300Z

ok, i thought BOV only works on manual cars?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

No bovs work when the throttle closes.
      06-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
So the lower nipple helps to push the plate up when after you let off the throttle or at idle?
yes when you let up the throttle and the thottle plate closes, it just helps it along and makes it a little faster.Basically just added pressure on the valve.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ok so its actually better to have this connected. Thanks for the info.