E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > [RESULT UPDATE] Just got my 320d 09 tuned by Peter/superchip

06-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #45
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Nice feedback br0.. many thx... certainly sounds like its worth the 990 clams you paid..

Will wait for SBC to give his feedback as well then

.........as for wheels, personally I'd go for 18" minimum - 18s would look sweet on your car.

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #46
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by playwithonehand View Post
If i can get SBC to give me some feed back, that would be nice too.
Better feedback once I can drive it You nannied it too much. (I'm serious)

From my experience as a passenger it is very smooth and pulls well. Definitely effortless performance compared to my 'all sound no go' type of car. Without any real effort we were going 'at the speed limit.' Only thing is, you need to practise starting more aggressively to make it feel faster. Try DTC pressed once, then small brakestand to take off like you sort of did at the lights. (And I mean small - it's not that good for the car or transmission)

Without driving the chipped 320d it's hard to properly comment compared to stock/330d as I have driven those. But - honestly I liked the stock 320d so much as it had that bit of lag and 'kick.' The chip makes it seems to make smoother and less aggressive but with more ooomph at the same time.

However, it's not like a 330d. The 330d pulls very strongly and after all it does have two extra cylinders.

QLD, if you're concerned about warranty then I reckon you should hold off a bit as this is an ECU flash I believe? If not worried, then give it a go. But, to do us all a favour would you please do dyno runs for before and after? That way we can categorically test the gains rather than using our accurate butt dynos.

As for wheels, I say go for some 17"s. If you're planning on keeping the car in non-sport body form then there are some nice OEM styles to keep the car looking classy. Ride will be more comfortable and running costs will also be lower with tyres for 17" wheels.

Something like this -

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #47
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
Better feedback once I can drive it You nannied it too much. (I'm serious)

From my experience as a passenger it is very smooth and pulls well. Definitely effortless performance compared to my 'all sound no go' type of car. Without any real effort we were going 'at the speed limit.' Only thing is, you need to practise starting more aggressively to make it feel faster. Try DTC pressed once, then small brakestand to take off like you sort of did at the lights. (And I mean small - it's not that good for the car or transmission)

Without driving the chipped 320d it's hard to properly comment compared to stock/330d as I have driven those. But - honestly I liked the stock 320d so much as it had that bit of lag and 'kick.' The chip makes it seems to make smoother and less aggressive but with more ooomph at the same time.

However, it's not like a 330d. The 330d pulls very strongly and after all it does have two extra cylinders.

QLD, if you're concerned about warranty then I reckon you should hold off a bit as this is an ECU flash I believe? If not worried, then give it a go. But, to do us all a favour would you please do dyno runs for before and after? That way we can categorically test the gains rather than using our accurate butt dynos.

As for wheels, I say go for some 17"s. If you're planning on keeping the car in non-sport body form then there are some nice OEM styles to keep the car looking classy. Ride will be more comfortable and running costs will also be lower with tyres for 17" wheels.

Something like this -

LOL, told ya i drive like a nanny. Thats how i can keep under 7L/100km in city

Thanks for the review man, will let you play around with it next meet.
But it really does feel slow on the day, normally i felt more kicks on the start.
I never expect to be close to 330d as at the end of day its 6 vs 4 but its not too far behind.

Lets test both out in the next meet

I still have 2years left on my warranty and i did it anyway haha without thinking clearly. Now i can't go back to dealer for service unless if Peter remove it for me.

Definately safe yo money for the 17wheel and Mich ps3 tyres.

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #48
Dan320
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d

Hey David,
Do your car produce any smoke after the tune?

I wonder if it's worth updating my piggyback with a bluefin?
Wish I had the newer diesel engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #49
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

You should consider purifyers 18" 189s which are up for sale. They go well on e90s and would totally lift the look of your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 04:21 AM   #50
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Sup Dan,

I was told by Peter it will produce black smoke at the rear, but i never notice it.
I don't look at the rear so dunno, but no smoke from front bonnet for sure.

Bluefin will only work for pre 2008 model, my ECU superchip is exactly the same as bluefin except it require to take ECU out and modify it. 100x harder than standard bluefin which is plug and play.

Most likely you are out of warranty?
The older diesel is only 0.3 sec slower than my 09 model,not that much difference in performance.
Maybe join our next meeting see for yourself whether its worth the investment or not.

btw were you there too? with your gf? or that was someone else
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #51
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBC View Post
You should consider purifyers 18" 189s which are up for sale. They go well on e90s and would totally lift the look of your car.
If only they were black wheels than i will get them.
I want black, glossy wheels to match my future black grills

Thanks for the advice anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #52
Rivenscyr
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: muzza-tastic cruiser

just get them powdercoated
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 04:55 AM   #53
QLD
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I was told by Peter it will produce black smoke at the rear......
??? DPF diesel producing smoke...? wtf

----------------------------

SBC: yes, warranty issues are my concern - if I could simply remove the map for servicing etc.. and then put it back on (like with a BlueFin) - I'd get one tomorrow... but the hardcoding of ECU's that I can't remove is not worth it to me on a car thats only 9mths into the warranty.

For extra 'sharpness and spunk" for around-town driving I installed a Sprint Booster - it is simply an aftermarket 'SPORT' button and works as a 'sport button' perfectly.

Car 'feels' sharper and way more responsive - just like it should with the SPORT button activated..

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #54
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD View Post
??? DPF diesel producing smoke...? wtf

Was told only when you floor it hard but honestly i never notice and never look, mayb i will get sbc and Riven to check for me next time.

LOL why so serious?

How much improvement you get with Sprint Booster?
Cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #55
QLD
Captain
Rep

Not serious.... ??? = curious

SprintBooster gives no extra 'real' power (kw) - it simply acts as a 'sport button' and makes everything sharper, no lag, sweeter around town driving.

It certainly improves the driving experience, causing the car to 'feel' lighter, engine stronger and more responsive.

Got it supplied and professionally installed so it is totally invisible in the cabin for $330 inclusive.

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #56
Dan320
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sup Dan,

I was told by Peter it will produce black smoke at the rear, but i never notice it.
I don't look at the rear so dunno, but no smoke from front bonnet for sure.

Bluefin will only work for pre 2008 model, my ECU superchip is exactly the same as bluefin except it require to take ECU out and modify it. 100x harder than standard bluefin which is plug and play.

Most likely you are out of warranty?
The older diesel is only 0.3 sec slower than my 09 model,not that much difference in performance.
Maybe join our next meeting see for yourself whether its worth the investment or not.

btw were you there too? with your gf? or that was someone else

Yeah, would love to be at the next meet and check your car out.
No no no, It's someone else
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #57
Dan320
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Was told only when you floor it hard but honestly i never notice and never look, mayb i will get sbc and Riven to check for me next time.

LOL why so serious?

How much improvement you get with Sprint Booster?
Cost?

DFC still produce black smoke when you look from behind but what a huge difference to one that does not have one.
Wait until you see me with my foot on it in my car, comparable to a truck.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #58
wassell2381
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 Xdrive 3.0D

Garage List
2009 320d E90 LCI  [0.00]
2009 320d  [10.00]
Quote:
Nope, i felt like a sad noob when everyone have awesome wheel and 18/19 tyre.

Still on 16, you reckon 17 is enough or 18 is better?
Need to save up $$, haha still need to pay back my sister.
When i got my car I wanted to go up to 18's but after having it for a while i actually like my 17's. They look bigger than they are, on the car. Now to just get them all resprayed to get rid of the previous owners gutter rash

Dan
White LCI 320d
Space Grey LCI 320d
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #59
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

If going OEM BMW, you have the choice of mixed sets of wheels with wider rims at the rear or same all 'round. Going to 17's or 18's will generally get you 4x225 or a mix of 225/255 width rubber. While the profile being a size shallower will enhance looks, it may not really assist greatly with handling and grip and ride will be a little worse. Spending on better quality tyres may also go further in the smaller size too, thus offsetting any theoretical advantage in grip. With all that lovely torque there's possibly an argument for the wider rear tyres - they work very well with the M-sport tune but I can't speak for the standard chassis - it could be that as it is more set up for understeer (softer rear tune) the tyre width difference might exacerbate this characteristic. Also consider wheel weights - our 16 inch 205's are really light at 8.0kg each while my 17 inch 'light' M-sport wheels are over 10.5kg with the 18's 11.3 (F) and 11.9kg (R) a corner!

Interesting reference of wheel specs, weights and designs is here:

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #60
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
... Also consider wheel weights - our 16 inch 205's are really light at 8.0kg each while my 17 inch 'light' M-sport wheels are over 10.5kg with the 18's 11.3 (F) and 11.9kg (R) a corner!

Love that site! I was trying to find it a couple of days ago but just couldn't so thanks for posting it again!! The 16"s are really light, more so than I would have thought - kind of makes me want to go back to smaller wheel/tyre combo.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #61
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Hours of fun for a BMW tragic!
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #62
playwithonehand
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
If going OEM BMW, you have the choice of mixed sets of wheels with wider rims at the rear or same all 'round. Going to 17's or 18's will generally get you 4x225 or a mix of 225/255 width rubber. While the profile being a size shallower will enhance looks, it may not really assist greatly with handling and grip and ride will be a little worse. Spending on better quality tyres may also go further in the smaller size too, thus offsetting any theoretical advantage in grip. With all that lovely torque there's possibly an argument for the wider rear tyres - they work very well with the M-sport tune but I can't speak for the standard chassis - it could be that as it is more set up for understeer (softer rear tune) the tyre width difference might exacerbate this characteristic. Also consider wheel weights - our 16 inch 205's are really light at 8.0kg each while my 17 inch 'light' M-sport wheels are over 10.5kg with the 18's 11.3 (F) and 11.9kg (R) a corner!

Excellent info thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #63
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #64
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan320 View Post
DFC still produce black smoke when you look from behind but what a huge difference to one that does not have one.
Wait until you see me with my foot on it in my car, comparable to a truck.
Dan, Shouldnt the DPF absorb all the diesel particals? therefore less soot?

When is the next meet boys? I would like to join too If i may? I've got a 120D E87 LCI.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #65
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

Quote:
LOL, told ya i drive like a nanny. Thats how i can keep under 7L/100km in city

Thanks for the review man, will let you play around with it next meet.
But it really does feel slow on the day, normally i felt more kicks on the start.
I never expect to be close to 330d as at the end of day its 6 vs 4 but its not too far behind.

I still have 2years left on my warranty and i did it anyway haha without thinking clearly. Now i can't go back to dealer for service unless if Peter remove it for me.

Definately safe yo money for the 17wheel and Mich ps3 tyres.

cheers!
I think you should go for 17 inch. 18 inch will be good for looks but the way Sydney roads are you will be crying if you got 18inch plus the tyres are gonna cost more. Is your with M sport?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #66
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitan View Post
Dan, Shouldnt the DPF absorb all the diesel particals? therefore less soot?

When is the next meet boys? I would like to join too If i may? I've got a 120D E87 LCI.
Sunday!

I got cheap diesel tuning boxes if u want to smash PWOH's superchip :P
Appreciate 0