Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot sport A/S Plus vs Conti DWS

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #23
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black Sports pkg

My 2007 335i sport came with Bridgestone RFT, It was so fun to drive in summer, specially going on the Ramps which interconnects HWY, If i can recall I had tested this BMW doing ~90 MPH on the Ramp which to me is Cornering and ~150MPH on a straight shoot, the car behave like a car on a Rail Track, But once the tire start loosing the tread you feel the Noise and the bumps get worst, plus cant Run these Tires in the Chicago Snow. If I can afford RFT every season then I will stay with RFT for summer and Winter I will switch to Extreme Winter Tires.

MY current DWS are inflated at 38 psi and they are no way Near the RFT when I go over the Ramps or sudden Stopping or sudden lane changes. RFT Feels like tires made from Metal, non-RFT feels like rubber even at 38psi..
      02-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #24
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Yeah, but you're comparing a "mushy" all season to an obviously stiff side walled RFT. If you want to find a comparable non-RFT try running the PSS or something so you at least have something somewhat equivelant to compare it to.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #25
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok got the Perillis Zero Nero A/s installed.

All noise gone, Stopping and sudden acceleration is very good, lane change good, good road grip and handling. Drove in very cold temp 8 degrees.
put 38psi all 4 Tires.
Still have to Test cornering, Wet Roads and Snow/ICE driving.

The looks on the Wheels are not as good as DWS and Michelin. -1.

Real Review will come after 15K.

Now looking for 18mm Spacers to go on the Rear Wheels.
      02-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Yeah, but you're comparing a "mushy" all season to an obviously stiff side walled RFT. If you want to find a comparable non-RFT try running the PSS or something so you at least have something somewhat equivelant to compare it to.
I agree that PSS will be much comparable to RFT as All seasons tires to RFT.
I think In Atlanta they can Drive PSS all season long, its hardly Snow or Ice, If they do get Ice then they stay home because it suicidal to go out and Drive in Icy Roads in Atlanta, done that 30 Years Ago and it was scary
      02-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #27
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Also Order 18mm Spacers for Rear Wheels, Macht Schnell.
I was told I can go as much as 20mm for Rear.
      02-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
I am also looking to replace my RFT with some good tires, i dont like stiff ride/tires, i am thinking to get DWS ALL Season, are they good in snow or icy conditions? i dont have space to keep tires for two setups winter setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #29
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
I am also looking to replace my RFT with some good tires, i dont like stiff ride/tires, i am thinking to get DWS ALL Season, are they good in snow or icy conditions? i dont have space to keep tires for two setups winter setup.
Yeah I have DWS on my 335i and X5, both has Excellent Snow/Ice performance.
I think they are the best All season out their for both Snow and Summer.
They a little bit noisy and get more Noise after 25-30K.
      02-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #30
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
Yeah I have DWS on my 335i and X5, both has Excellent Snow/Ice performance.
I think they are the best All season out their for both Snow and Summer.
They a little bit noisy and get more Noise after 25-30K.

are they comfy compare to RFTs?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #31
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
are they comfy compare to RFTs?
My opinion they are comfy as compare to RFT. no more hard road bumps.
Another Choice is Perilli Zero Nero All Season which are less expensive and may be quieter then DWS but still good enough for Snow.

All seasons are normally soft Tires with softer outer wall and if you need more harder then just increase the Air pressure to like 38psi..
      02-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #32
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ok more on Zero Nero All Seasons. Drove today in 1 inch of Snow slush and real cold conditions around 12 degree. Runs very good no spinning handling like you driving in Dry Conditions.
Compare to Blizaks and DWS if blizaks are a 10 and DWS are 9 then Perilli are solid 8.5.
One thing I am liking about these tires are how smooth and less noisy they are as compare to DWS
So definately +1 on noise and smoothness as compare to DWS.

I will post pics after putting in 18mm Spacers on Rear by end of next week.
      02-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #33
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater View Post
Ok more on Zero Nero All Seasons. Drove today in 1 inch of Snow slush and real cold conditions around 12 degree. Runs very good no spinning handling like you driving in Dry Conditions.
Compare to Blizaks and DWS if blizaks are a 10 and DWS are 9 then Perilli are solid 8.5.
One thing I am liking about these tires are how smooth and less noisy they are as compare to DWS
So definately +1 on noise and smoothness as compare to DWS.

I will post pics after putting in 18mm Spacers on Rear by end of next week.
I don't think anyone would compare and all season to a dedicated snow and only say there is a 1 point differential.

If the Blizzaks are a 10, the DWS are about a 5 and the Pirelli are a 4. No all season can touch a true winter like the blizzaks. But now a high performance snow may be closer to the snow capabilities of an all season.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #34
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I had Blizzaks on my 335i for a full winter season, they were a great tire then i switch to DWS next winter and was as comfortable on Ramps doing 60mph in 6-8 inch of snow to 80-90 mph on a Straight Shoot with 6-8 inches of snow. I was surprised how good DWS were handling during their first season on the Snow. I hardly miss my Blizzaks. But my third season on winter I am spinning on same DWS but the tread left is 3/32 on Rear.
I feel the same with Pirelli but cant test it yet since not much snow on the ground.

No questions Blizzaks are 10 in my book and they are better then other Winter performance tires. But people will be surprised how good DWS are too and they are All Season tires.
      02-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #35
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you go 80mph in 6 inches of snow that means your balls are bigger than your brain.... No offence.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #36
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
If you go 80mph in 6 inches of snow that means your balls are bigger than your brain.... No offence.
None Taken

Have you ever seen a plowing truck at 2 in the night on a Hwy clearing 1 ft of snow and how fast they go. I trust my German Engineering car and a good set of New tires and 35 years of accident free record..

2011 1st week of Jan, same DWS tires, drove to Chicago to Toronto Airport in a blizard conditions with 1 ft of snow some places. Left at 6pm CNT and arrived in Toronto 4 AM EST with a Pit Break and a Gas Refuel break.
Toronto has 1 ft of Snow and looks like they dont clean their Streets as fast they do in Chicago, Michigan is too broke to even clean their Hwys. no Offense to Michigan they busy in making crappy Vehicles.

I put my trust on the Driving Machine called BMW and a Set of goodTires who can hold their track in Deep Snow like a Train track.. Did saw many cars in the ditches and off the roads. These people dont even know how to drive in Dry condition let alone Snow and should stay home for others Safety.
      02-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #37
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No lsd and all season tires along with 50/50 distrbution put the rwd bmw near the bottom half of the standard deviation curve for snow driving. It may be ultimate driving machine in good weather but when it snows it becomes the ultimate slide machine with no lsd and all seasons.

You're right in comparing your car to 10,000lb plow truck when on the highway in fresh powder. They're both very similar.....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #38
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

When I bought 335i RWD with Wider Rear Tires some of my friends think I was Crazy to drive that in Winter, I used this car for my Daily commute and already put 62K since 7/2009.

Things about driving in snow are. car run nice in Deep powdery Snow and the trick is to get the tires in the track created by the traffic ahead of you, then the tires kind of locked into the track and you stay their and dont make any lane changes, i even use paddle shifters to slow down instead of brakes because if its too Cold like in single digits with windy conditions the brakes start getting acting up and ABS starts kicking in.

So stay in the track and drive at speed you know car stay stable and make sure no other cars are near you, putting some weight in the trunk or rear seats helps too.

Now on less Snow (1-2 inch) and more Icy conditions I wont go that fast 40-50 mph the most depending upon how much salt they have on the road.

I strongly agree that a pure Winter tire like Blizzaks will helps a lot and I have seen that too but they come with a price and they get too noisy when you driving in Winter with no snow on the ground.
      02-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #39
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
You're right in comparing your car to 10,000lb plow truck when on the highway in fresh powder. They're both very similar.....
lol ya'll postin in a troll thread
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #40
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
So freshwater. you are saying DWS All season can take snow?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #41
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes, DWS can take Snow very easily, better then Perilli Zero Nero.
Perilli can take snow too but less road noise, DWS are little better in Snow but more noisy as compare to Perilli
Now winter Blizzaks are much better in Snow since they are Winter Tires but they come with a cost of more road noise when no snow on the roads but still Winter weather.

If I live in some Hilly area like Colorado and have to face Snow every day then Iwill go with dedicated Winter tires like Blizzaks, If I live in non hilly area and Snow is occasional like 2-3 days out of 7 day week then I can stick with DWS or even Perilli.
      02-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #42
freshwater
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

pics of Perilli P zero Nero A/S.
Attached Images