E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > CIC Red Screen Of Death

02-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330D M Sport

CIC Red Screen Of Death

Ah, had the CIC Red Screen of Death on the way home today. For those lucky enough not to have seen it, the CIC screen just goes red after booting up but the radio works fine,

Doing a bit of Googling and searching on here it seems to be a non-uncommon problem but without a definite cause. The common issue seems to be power getting to the screen but no video. Possibly faulty CIC or video cable from CIC to screen but it's intermittent.

Either way, I'll check later this evening to see if it's still the same but I thought I would see if anyone has got any more definite info on the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

It's definitely wiring and normally the cable between the main CIC unit and the screen.

I've had my unit out a couple of times lately trying to do my ICE install and ended up with this after the last removal/refit of the headunit. Ended up having to take it out and ensure no wires trapped etc so it's definitely that.

Last edited by RajB; 02-02-2016 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
It's definitely wiring and normally the cable between the main CIC unit and the screen.

I've had my unit out a couple of times lately trying to do my ICE install and ended up with this after the last removal/refit of the headunit. Ended up having to take it out and ensure no words trapped etc so it's definitely that.
Ah thanks, that's eased my mind - I think I might get a new video cable in case.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by half Colin View Post
Ah thanks, that's eased my mind - I think I might get a new video cable in case.
Yeah I panicked I had screwed up the screen but after a load of research and a chat to a friend who's in the know said its actually a common issue with the cable between the 2 components.
      02-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
half Colin
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I've asked our friends at Cotswold BMW for the price of the cable. I haven't checked again yet but if it's gone once it's likely to go again so I think I'll replace it.
Appreciate 0