E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Changed my oil but...

06-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #45
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
So once again Turkey and Socom state their baseless beliefs.

Anyone who really believes that BMW or any car company stopped oil and engine testing in 2001 is in denial especially when BMW has published LL-04 oil specs for ROW but specifically states LL-04 oils are not acceptable for U.S. gas engines and that LL-01 oils must be used.

The technical ignorance that passes for knowledge is sad and a disservice to those who want accurate technical information concerning their BMW. Wanting baseless beliefs to be true does not make them true any more than reading Tea Leaves or MSDS sheets will tell you how an oil lubricates in your engine.
You obviously didn't read my last post. However be thankful we're not on a VW fourum where we're trying to find an VW oil which will stop excessive wear on the valvetrain because the 'spec' oil isn't cutting it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #46
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
^^scary stuff right there, about CRAP 1 0W40
I wonder how heat would change the results. This test seems more like a test of cold start wear properties.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #47
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
So once again Turkey and Socom state their baseless beliefs. Anyone who really believes that BMW or any car company stopped oil and engine testing in 2001 is in denial especially when BMW has published LL-04 oil specs for ROW but specifically states LL-04 oils are not acceptable for U.S. gas engines and that LL-01 oils must be used.
CRAP 1 0W40 $3:99/quart @ autozone is vastly superior to this:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...MO300V-5W40-2L retailing at $15/liter gimmie, some of what your somking.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #48
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
I wonder how heat would change the results. This test seems more like a test of cold start wear properties.
its a standard taper bear roll test, that has been around since the 40's. Any decent oil should be able to pass it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #49
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I am not sure if I already said this, but that is why I love this forum. In each section their is a fanatic about something. You think you have been washing your car correctly...wrong....just check out the detailing section. You think you know how to install something......wrong...check out the DIY section....you think you know about oil...wrong.....you want to mod......lighting....etc etc...there is a fanatic in every section. I don't mind all the back and forth about oil (so long as it doesn't get personal). Now at least everyone can make an informed decision.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #50
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
Damn guys... Thats deep knowledge. I just wanted to know if the oil used in my car was ok... Not start a major arguement with each other lol! Now I'm all confused. My car is CPO and I did went over my orginal warranty. But it looks like most of the people here does not recommend AMS Oil and to stick with "approved" oil.

Oh and the post above me, yeah, well said.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 12:14 AM   #51
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringsMoreWomen View Post
Damn guys... Thats deep knowledge. I just wanted to know if the oil used in my car was ok... Not start a major arguement with each other lol! Now I'm all confused. My car is CPO and I did went over my orginal warranty. But it looks like most of the people here does not recommend AMS Oil and to stick with "approved" oil.

Oh and the post above me, yeah, well said.
I am a bit confused, but if you are still under the CPO warranty this is really very simple. You need oil with LL-01 or "BMW LongLife 01" in small letters on the back of the bottle. And the receipt. If not that, then the BMW branded oil from a dealer or parts supplier.

And unless you really enjoy these oil wars, continue to do that. BMW oil from the dealer or oil with LL-01 on the back.

Everything else is noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #52
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
Everything else is noise.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #53
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Socom, it seem like all fuel products contain up to 10% ethanol, even diesel! So why again, is BMW saying what its saying about US gas?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #54
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Socom, it seem like all fuel products contain up to 10% ethanol, even diesel! So why again, is BMW saying what its saying about US gas?
It's not just BMW but Mercedes Benz as well. It's about fuel consistancy. Apparently both BMW and MB believe that diesel is more consistant in it's sulphur concentrations than gasoline, and it doesn't have to contend with ethanol.

At the moment USLD does not contain any ethanol, but experimentation is ongoing.

If it is being used in regularity it maybe with off road/marine diesel but those engines are not held to the same emissions standards so the engine oils can contain a more robust additive package. Hell non-road diesel isn't even ULSD it's LSD (~500 ppm IIRC).

I hate the sh!t. If ethanol becomes mandated in US diesel I'm going to blow my freaking top.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #55
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It's not just BMW but Mercedes Benz as well. It's about fuel consistancy. Apparently both BMW and MB believe that diesel is more consistant in it's sulphur concentrations than gasoline, and it doesn't have to contend with ethanol.
I've seen official stuff from BMW on LL04, and ethanol in gas. keep in mind its only 10% ethanol, maximum. Mercedes however, hasn't to my knowledge officially written about this. I may be wrong. Audi doesn't seem to care, and neither does any other european exporting car company. It might be much ado about nothing. I did however, notice that at my local shell, whats written is that: "All products may contain up to 10% ethanol", and there was a USDA stamp across all grades of gasoline and diesel. USDA is in charge of the corn, used to make the ethanol. So, its in the diesel alright.

Also, when I used Total Ineo Mc3, in my gas powered 335I, I didn't notice anything unusual, except that it kept temperature, and good oil analyzer measurements, even up to 9,000miles. Surprisingly the Total 10W50 I'm racing with seems to struggle more with my temps, than the INEO did at 9,000miles! when you look at the MSDS, you see that Total loaded the INEO with a heafty additive package, because of its lack of PAO base stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #56
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've seen official stuff from BMW on LL04, and ethanol in gas. keep in mind its only 10% ethanol, maximum. Mercedes however, hasn't to my knowledge officially written about this. I may be wrong. Audi doesn't seem to care, and neither does any other european exporting car company. It might be much ado about nothing. I did however, notice that at my local shell, whats written is that: "All products may contain up to 10% ethanol", and there was a USDA stamp across all grades of gasoline and diesel. USDA is in charge of the corn, used to make the ethanol. So, its in the diesel alright.

Also, when I used Total Ineo Mc3, in my gas powered 335I, I didn't notice anything unusual, except that it kept temperature, and good oil analyzer measurements, even up to 9,000miles. Surprisingly the Total 10W50 I'm racing with seems to struggle more with my temps, than the INEO did at 9,000miles! when you look at the MSDS, you see that Total loaded the INEO with a heafty additive package, because of its lack of PAO base stock.
Well you can research e-diesel yourself. The stuff is nasty, explosive (spark while dispensing in fuel tank could cause boom), requires a special additive, kills economy by ~ 9%, and is illegal in some states. As for the stickers? I wouldn't put much faith in that. The cashier probably placed them on every pump not caring. Hell how many of those station owners do you think clean the fuel filters IN their tanks?? Probably not many.

As for your MC3, I'm curious to hear about TBN and TAN at 9k miles. I have a sample ready to get shipped off to Blackstone myself (factory fill with OCI of ~6,500) .
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #57
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Well you can research e-diesel yourself. The stuff ... kills economy by ~ 9%,...
When E10 gas only reduces fuel economy by a bit less than 3%, why 9% for E-diesel? It's still only 10% ethanol, isn't it?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #58
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
When E10 gas only reduces fuel economy by a bit less than 3%, why 9% for E-diesel? It's still only 10% ethanol, isn't it?

Tom
I don't remember. Cummins did some testing. If there's one thing I hate with a passion it's ethanol and the domestic ethanol industry. The lack of ethanol is one of the top 4 reasons why I chose a 335D.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #59
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
I finally flushed AMSoil and put Mobil 1 ftw! I wonder if any of that left over oil will interfere with the new oil I just put in? =/
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #60
kyo21
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Technical

1) Ethanol actually eats away at a lot of engine components
2) he burn rate isn't that great, and will not increase your fuel mileage. (there is a formula, I calculated it once in class)

It will however it will burn cleaner! and will increase the RON/MON rating!
1 for the environment and -1 for consumers cars.
Appreciate 0