E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Simple ipod Aux cable?

03-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Simple ipod Aux cable?

HI folks. I know there are probably loads of threads on this already so apologies, but can someone just quickly clue me in on what I'll need to connect my ipod to my BMW on delivery day. The car does not have idrive or anything, so do I just need a simple cable which comes out of the bottom of the ipod and into the AUX socket in the armrest compartment?

And once I connect that, what functionality can I access via the car stereo and/or the steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Er none unless you have the 6fl option - you just press play on the mp3 player and it comes out of the speakers.
      03-19-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
ren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

You're correct about the cable. All you need is an audio cable with 3.5mm male jacks on each side, which is the standard headphone jack for most mp3 players.
The only functionality you'll have on your car stereo will be the volume unfortunately, but you can get a wireless remote (not IR) for your ipod and keep the player in the armrest. Targus makes one and it has good reviews. (Link) and there's also Ijet from ABT.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #4
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Er none unless you have the 6fl option - you just press play on the mp3 player and it comes out of the speakers.
Really? So I can't even hit 'skip' to go to the next track or anything?

You'll be telling me next that the ipod socket doesn't even charge the ipod!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
HI folks. I know there are probably loads of threads on this already so apologies, but can someone just quickly clue me in on what I'll need to connect my ipod to my BMW on delivery day. The car does not have idrive or anything, so do I just need a simple cable which comes out of the bottom of the ipod and into the AUX socket in the armrest compartment?

And once I connect that, what functionality can I access via the car stereo and/or the steering wheel?
The only functionality via the wheel and the stereo is to increase or decrease volume.

The best cable is the monster low profile car charger:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...n/Product.html

You also need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm phono cable - surprisingly difficult to find but Currys should have a few in stock:
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 02:43 AM   #6
threethirty
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Saloon 2006

I was disappointed with the sound quality when just using the standard phono cable approach. I had to turn the ipod up to max and turn the car system up too. All very well until you flick back to radio or CD and get deafened. But the sound quality was just not great either.

I don't bother with it now, just use CDs!
      03-20-2008, 03:25 AM   #7
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirty View Post
I was disappointed with the sound quality when just using the standard phono cable approach. I had to turn the ipod up to max and turn the car system up too. All very well until you flick back to radio or CD and get deafened. But the sound quality was just not great either.

Well, I don't know anything about the BMW system, but in general I think you get a better audio signal by using cables which connect to the bottom of the ipod, ie. where you plug the ipod into its charger. Cables which come out of the headphones jack will not produce as high quality a connection - or so people say.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 03:25 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by threethirty View Post

Was this using the ipods headphone socket?

You can get better sound using the dock connector, which has an unamplified line out.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 03:30 AM   #9
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Was this using the ipods headphone socket?

You can get better sound using the dock connector, which has an unamplified line out.
Think our posts must've crossed over there, needforspeed!

Yeah, 'dock connector', that was the phrase my addled brain was struggling for. Certainly with the cassette adapter I use in my current car, the signal is fine, and adjusting the ipod's voulme has no effect.

BUt just another point to clarify: the only functions I will be able to control from my steering wheel are volume - but will I be able to do thinks like skip to next track, using the cd player controls? Or do I need a special adapter for this?

Surely there's not much point in providing an ipod socket in the armrest, if yu have to open it up to skip to the next track?!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 03:38 AM   #10
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
If you only have the aux in - the ONLY control you have is volume.
      03-20-2008, 03:45 AM   #11
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
BUt just another point to clarify: the only functions I will be able to control from my steering wheel are volume - but will I be able to do thinks like skip to next track, using the cd player controls? Or do I need a special adapter for this?

Surely there's not much point in providing an ipod socket in the armrest, if yu have to open it up to skip to the next track?!
The socket in the armrest isn't an iPod interface, its a plain aux in socket and you have no control over it at all other than volume. If you've bought the 6FL iPod interface then you'll have access to a whole load of iPod control (most things you'd expect - track selection, playlists, skip etc).

If you didn't buy the iPod interface there are a couple of options for getting one fitted after you get your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 03:59 AM   #12
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
If you've bought the 6FL iPod interface then you'll have access to a whole load of iPod control (most things you'd expect - track selection, playlists, skip etc).
I've bought an ex-management car, so as far as I know it just has the AUX socket. I assume the 6FL is something you have to add when ordering a new car?

Quote:
If you didn't buy the iPod interface there are a couple of options for getting one fitted after you get your car.
Ok, what are these options?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 06:33 AM   #13
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Have a look in the center console - if it has a USB socket you have 6fl - if not you have AUX
      03-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #14
threethirty
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Saloon 2006

Just to clarify - I was referring to the headphone socket on the ipod and using a standard 3.5mm lead. Quality not great.

There was a recent thread about what kit to buy to use the docking connection on the ipod - possibly this one:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123568
      03-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #15
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Have a look in the center console - if it has a USB socket you have 6fl - if not you have AUX
Not got the car yet, but have confiremd with the dealer that I do not have the 6fl. And this cannot be retrofitted I gather, at least not officially?

Just seems a little silly that you can connect your ipod and hide it away nicely in the armrest, but you have to open the armrest up again to skiop a track! I suppose, as suggested above, a wireless remote is the solution. Ah, yet more ipod-related purchases!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #16
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
No retrofit unfortunately due to the programming I think. You can get dedicated ipod solutions that go in the glove box etc.
      03-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #17
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No retrofit unfortunately due to the programming I think. You can get dedicated ipod solutions that go in the glove box etc.
Not sure why people keep saying this.

There is a 6FL retrofit kit http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...L+USB+Retrofit

I even got as far as ordering it before the dealer realised it wasn't compatible with my radio ('Professional'). This was a while back, there might be an option available now that is compatible for me.

My dealer didn't even know what the kit was until I waved the part number at them.

Failing that, there is the factory fitted iPod interface kit, your dealer will know all about it, its not fantastic but it works pretty well - it's what I ended up getting.

If you dont want to go the BMW route there is a company called Denison who make a product called the Gateway 500 which also provides a proper iPod interface.

There are a number of other iPod for BMW interfaces you can find on the web, they pretty much all seem to be incompatible with the E9x series although some of the companies / resellers are not clear on the topic - avoid these.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #18
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Not sure why people keep saying this.

There is a 6FL retrofit kit http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...L+USB+Retrofit

I even got as far as ordering it before the dealer realised it wasn't compatible with my radio ('Professional'). This was a while back, there might be an option available now that is compatible for me.

Failing that, there is the factory fitted iPod interface kit, your dealer will know all about it, its not fantastic but it works pretty well - it's what I ended up getting.

If you dont want to go the BMW route there is a company called Denison who make a product called the Gateway 500 which also provides a proper iPod interface.

There are a number of other iPod for BMW interfaces you can find on the web, they pretty much all seem to be incompatible with the E9x series although some of the companies / resellers are not clear on the topic - avoid these.
So I can have 6fl retrofitted?
      03-20-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Only:

a) if you have a SA 662 (Business radio) or SA 667 (Audio radio), no idea what people with Logic 7 or HiFi get but us mere mortals got something called a Professional Radio.

or

b) In the 6 months since the retrofit kit came out BMW have brought out one which supports the Professional radio.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #20
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Thats me - I'm a mere mortal!!!! Did you get a price Dave?
      03-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #21
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Only:

a) if you have a SA 662 (Business radio) or SA 667 (Audio radio), no idea what people with Logic 7 or HiFi get but us mere mortals got something called a Professional Radio.

or

b) In the 6 months since the retrofit kit came out BMW have brought out one which supports the Professional radio.
Nope, I think I just have the mere mortal 'Professional' raido. Thing is, it seems a bt like a half-measure that BMW provide an AUX socket by default but not the USB. And if you are going to provide an AUX socket, but users will have to keep the ipod out to skip tracks etc., then hiding that AUX socket away in the armrest compartment is sorta counterproductive....

If I'd been ordering a new car from the factory, and had known about the USB thing, I would have added it as an extra, although 200 quid seems a bit steep.

My current setup, in the VW Golf, is using a tape adapter, which at least allows me to go back or forward through the tracks, using the cassette 'Rev/Fwd' buttons. I never use those of course, because the fact tha the ipod is connected to the tape deck by a shortish cable, and therefore needs to be nearby, measn teh natural place to leave it is in the slot below the radio, so the ipod controls are thus easily accessible.

(I tried an iTrip once, but the signal quality was unbearably bad. All my daughter's friends use iTrips but then they are used to the sort of audio quality you get playing mp3s out of mobile phones! Kids today, etc.)

My new setup, then, is going to be ipod plugged into Aux, and armrest closed, requiring the extra faff and expense of a wireless remote!

Of course, the big advantage with teh Beemer, will be the ability to play CDs of mp3s....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #22
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The only functionality via the wheel and the stereo is to increase or decrease volume.

The best cable is the monster low profile car charger:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...n/Product.html

You also need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm phono cable - surprisingly difficult to find but Currys should have a few in stock:
Nice one Needforspeed, I have just ordered one