Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Can I trust Firestone?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Can I trust Firestone?

....to mount/balance the Pilot Super Sports....for real, they show up at around $22/wheel, while Joe's Garage is about $45-$50....I mean besides the dealership, aren't they all the same? They all show up as Hunter Road Force.

The only thing that is odd is I took my Nissan there last time, and it was all shaking when I got it back. They redid it and the shaking was gone. Just don't want one of those horror stories where on the original RE050A's smooth at 125 mph, get new PSS and it shakes.....
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

p.s. I just called them and they said $87 Hunter Road Force rft to non rft no problem, they do BMWs until the sun goes down, and did 3 Porsches for tires yesterday. He said they will align BMWs and no they won't weight the driver's seat, and they WILL NOT align a Porsche. I guess what I'm saying is they sound like they can do it and have integrity over the phone. He even told me that in the last year, only 3 cars fell off of a lift in their shop, so what are the chances it will be my car anyway?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

3 cars in the last year? I was hoping more like zero cars lol. How often does a shop let a car fall off the lift?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
only 3 cars fell off of a lift in their shop, so what are the chances it will be my car anyway?

Not sure if serious.....
      06-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

I got my tires balanced/mounted at Costco then brought it to Firestone for an alignment (lifetime). Seems good to me so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
....to mount/balance the Pilot Super Sports....for real, they show up at around $22/wheel, while Joe's Garage is about $45-$50....I mean besides the dealership, aren't they all the same? They all show up as Hunter Road Force.

The only thing that is odd is I took my Nissan there last time, and it was all shaking when I got it back. They redid it and the shaking was gone. Just don't want one of those horror stories where on the original RE050A's smooth at 125 mph, get new PSS and it shakes.....
Which city/state u thinking about getting it done at, my firestone does an awesome job on ALL of my cars (plus the smack talking is free of charge hehehe). It really depends on ur relationship with people too. If u r a people person and get along easily with folks... People will take care of u well.

Firestone does the lifetime alignments on my '92 eclipse gsx with full coilovers JIC magic FLT 2A's, my '04 frontier (bone stock), and my e90 (stock sport suspension). I never had an issue... If i feel something is off... Just take it back to get it done for free.

Tires have never had an issue with ANY wheel shop (costco, sears, fireestone, discount tire, america's tire co, etc...)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
AceOnShake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Firestone sucks! I took my bone stock M3 there and they wouldn't even let me take it on the lift. They're like its too low but its stock...I told them i brought lowered cars to you in the past and hes like BS. I took it to a local shop which was cheaper and did it for the same price .
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Hu. No.

I go to Fischer tires occasionaly, I don't know if it's a national chain or what, but it is much better than NTB/firestone/Pep boyz etc. Ok for mounting tires, still I wouldn't trust them for alignement. Go to a local euro shop, it's about the same price, but they do the job properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentegoE90 View Post
Firestone sucks! I took my bone stock M3 there and they wouldn't even let me take it on the lift. They're like its too low but its stock...I told them i brought lowered cars to you in the past and hes like BS. I took it to a local shop which was cheaper and did it for the same price .
It reminds me of this video

Its all in how u work with people.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

I had one of the worst experiences ever at a Firestone. They mounted 265s on my fronts and 235s on my backs. Clearly they realized it but figured I wouldn't notice. I got some gas right after leaving and saw it right away. Took it back, flipped out, and they said they couldn't fix it until the next day. I bring it back the next day and pick it up with my rears on the drivers side and fronts on the passengers side. I pointed it out as soon as they pulled the car out and the guy actually got annoyed when I told him to fix it.

I got a full refund but it was still a huge hassle. Bunch of clowns.

I'm sure not all firestones are like this, but I'll never go to one again.
      06-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
Snow King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryce View Post
I had one of the worst experiences ever at a Firestone. They mounted 265s on my fronts and 235s on my backs. Clearly they realized it but figured I wouldn't notice. I got some gas right after leaving and saw it right away. Took it back, flipped out, and they said they couldn't fix it until the next day. I bring it back the next day and pick it up with my rears on the drivers side and fronts on the passengers side. I pointed it out as soon as they pulled the car out and the guy actually got annoyed when I told him to fix it.

I got a full refund but it was still a huge hassle. Bunch of clowns.

I'm sure not all firestones are like this, but I'll never go to one again.
A couple years ago I got a set of new tires at America's Tire. Was the cheapest price by far fully mounted and balanced for the set i wanted. These guys put my rear tires in front as well but I noticed it before I drove off. Fixed it immediately no problems but disconcerting as heck.

Dumbass me I went back to the same place for my next set of tires as they had an INCREDIBLE deal for what I wanted. Rear right tire lost air immediately as they handed me the keys. 'Clowns' installed the valve incorrectly and was losing air. Again I pointed it out and fixed it real quick with many apologies.

You really do get what you pay for. Worth the big discounts for me, just keep an eye on them and make sure they do their jobs right.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Dude, i guess i have just been lucky in life. Worst problems i've had are that they forget to give me back the wheel locks. But i visually verify it before i leave.

Sometimes they forget the valve caps.... I usually remove them all before any tire service anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

just had a set of OEM installed by american tires & wheels alignment by dealer due to the fact that my front right worn out from the inside so bad.

Called Les schwab & firestone & above the same price for the job, they will do it ONLY if the alignment off a little bit, if its off alot & they said that they do not have a special tool to remove a pins to adjust it.

Indy BMW shop was above $60 cheaper, but could not get me in the day that I wanted, so ending up at dealer for alignments job.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Make sure whoever mounts your tires has soft pads for the rim clamps of their tire changer. I go ballistic when I see those little holes in the paint on the barrels.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

great points....maybe I'll just buck up and hit the dealership for the alignment, not likely they would mess it up....and also the soft pads on the clamp....I wonder, is it likely that Firestone would really hunter road force a 35 series tire for $17?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
great points....maybe I'll just buck up and hit the dealership for the alignment, not likely they would mess it up....and also the soft pads on the clamp....I wonder, is it likely that Firestone would really hunter road force a 35 series tire for $17?
Depends on the shop you go to, if they have the Hunter Road Force machines then they will. If they don't have the machines... then they won't. My local firestone has it and they do it for all of them. Tell them you got the tires at Tirerack and ask for the Tirerack discount hehehe
Appreciate 0