Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > E90 Winter Tires - Pirelli/Dunlop/Michelin/Conti (Poll)

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

View Poll Results: Which tire?
Pirelli Sottozero Serie II 1 9.09%
Michelin Alpin PA3 5 45.45%
Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D 2 18.18%
Continental ExtremeWinter 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

10-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
E90 Winter Tires - Pirelli/Dunlop/Michelin/Conti (Poll)

So, with the first flakes of winter (which sadly fell last night in a quickly disappearing dusting) thoughts turn to winter tires.

Driving a 2009 E90 (328 xi). Using the stock 16" rims for this purpose.

In Calgary, we can get snow (and lots at times)...but it usually doesnt last - melting either via a sudden chinook or the heavy use of road salt - meaning that most driving is probably on dry pavement, but there are certainly times I'll need something softer than an all season or all weather.

Looking at 4 options, opinions please:

1 Pirelli Sottozero Serie II
2 Michelin Alpin PA3
3 Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D
4 Continental ExtremeWinter
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
(self bump)

Really? no other opinions around this place? ...and here i thought y'all was a bunch of know-it-alls.....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Fillyo75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 335i

I'm looking at the Michelins or Dunlops, but there are e few new models this year with no reviews.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
Bronze
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I used the Contis on my A4 and they were excellent. I narrowed them from a 235 to a 215 for that particular car. Those tires, with quattro, were exceptional in the snow here in Detroit, and we had a bit more snow last winter.
      10-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
(self bump)

Really? no other opinions around this place? ...and here i thought y'all was a bunch of know-it-alls.....
Lol. I would've chimed in, but I'm a blizzak man, myself, and I wasn't provided with the option.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
I used the Contis on my A4 and they were excellent. I narrowed them from a 235 to a 215 for that particular car. Those tires, with quattro, were exceptional in the snow here in Detroit, and we had a bit more snow last winter.
how were they in the dry? of my list, they were the ones i was worried about being too much of a snow and ice tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Lol. I would've chimed in, but I'm a blizzak man, myself, and I wasn't provided with the option.
i've heard negative things about the blizzaks...you like them i assume?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
Bronze
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
how were they in the dry? of my list, they were the ones i was worried about being too much of a snow and ice tire.
They were fine on dry pavement. I could hear them but they were no worse than a slightly worn sport tire. I'm disappointed they don't come in 18s because shopping for winter tires myself.
      10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i've heard negative things about the blizzaks...you like them i assume?
I do, but I think it all depends on what qualities your looking for. I'm a RWD guy(always have been), so my largest concern is that I will have traction in the worst scenarios. I'm perfectly happy sacrificing noise (for example) in exchange for not getting stuck at the middle of a hill in traffic during an ice storm.

If you had to list your priorities...
-tread wear
-road noise (dry)
-road noise (wet)
-handling (dry)
-handling (wet)
-traction (snow)
-traction (ice)
...in what order would they fall?

You'll almost inevitably be happier with most winter performance tires than with all-seasons (if that's what youre coming from) as long as road noise and tread wear aren't your top priorities.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
I like my Dunlop 3D's. I'm in Minneapolis MN and it sounds like I drive in similar conditions to you. Most of the time it's on dry pavement, but there are times when the roads are snow covered.

I would have purchased General Altimax Arctic tires if they made them in 18's.
      10-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
I do, but I think it all depends on what qualities your looking for. I'm a RWD guy(always have been), so my largest concern is that I will have traction in the worst scenarios. I'm perfectly happy sacrificing noise (for example) in exchange for not getting stuck at the middle of a hill in traffic during an ice storm.

If you had to list your priorities...
-tread wear
-road noise (dry)
-road noise (wet)
-handling (dry)
-handling (wet)
-traction (snow)
-traction (ice)
...in what order would they fall?

You'll almost inevitably be happier with most winter performance tires than with all-seasons (if that's what youre coming from) as long as road noise and tread wear aren't your top priorities.
well, to start certainly not looking at all seasons. debate is winter performance or studless ice and snow. plan is for winter performance (which all the tires but the contis on my list call themselves) but was interested if other opinions.

that said, to hit your priorities:
- handling dry
- traction snow
- traction ice
- road noise (either)
- treadwear

we dont get heavy rain here in winter so...handling wet is between dry and snow. often the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
With those priorities (and considering you have an AWD) my suspicion is that you will opt for the Michelins (or maybe the Dunlops). If you haven't already, check out the tire rack survey results as they show where the strengths are of the different options...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...sp?type=W&VT=C

With my car putting down 420+ lb/ft of torque to only the rears (tune), I opt for the Blizzak LM-60s because they tend to be the best when I need them to be (times where traction would otherwise be tough to find). I had the 335d out in complete ice last year as well as light powder and slush, and didn't have any issues even when stopping on steep inclines. I think if I had an AWD vehicle, I may opt for the Michelin PILOT Alpins (note: not the Primacy Alpins which are completely different tires), but I'm pretty faithful to the Blizzaks because they've kept me safe (and let me have a ton of fun doing it) year over year, car after car.

When it comes down to it, you should be good with any of the tires you listed. Personally, I just like the extra assurance in case I hit that random bit of black ice around a turn or need to brake/accelerate suddenly in a safety situation. FWIW, the evo and STI guys I know run Blizzaks, too (they like to make sure that they will never get passed or outmaneuvered in in inclement weather). They won't be as sporty as some of the other options in the dry, but the sidewalls are still pretty stiff (especially if you are running RFTs), so I think you would be fine.

Best of luck with your decision. Hopefully some others bearing experience with the tires on your list chime in. Have fun & stay safe out there!

EDIT: Sorry, I typed this before realizing that many of these tires do not offer 16" sizes. Not sure what kind of driving you do, but don't forget to look at the speed ratings. Good luck!

Last edited by FormerRotor; 10-07-2012 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Tire size
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

My MB C300 4M had Blizzaks - no problems at all, even with a staggered setup.

With the E90, I opted to go with runflats, decided on the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II W210 (lower speed rating and not XL).

I was initially set on the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II W240 (non runflat), XL load rating, higher speed rating. Many Porsche owners use them.

Based on your options, you picked performance winter tires and any one would work well.
      10-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
LindaTheCat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT

Here is my Canadian experience. Took my 335i rwd to Costco for winter tyres. Insisted on Bridgestone, because they were running promotions and the price was low by comparison. However the technician insisted on finding a better alternative. And then I was home for another round of searching homework. Finally landedyself a set of alpin PA3, superb performance. Was back and forth from Vancouver to whistler, even during the Christmas season, the little bummer shines! I could be biased on my limited experience, for many choose Bridgestone, I understand for its mass production and therefore competitive price. However, the European companies just know how to live with the days that need to be spent on the Alps in a sports car! Also, The new PA4 is out so you might be lucky to find a closeout deal for PA3. Good luck!
      10-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaTheCat View Post
Here is my Canadian experience. Took my 335i rwd to Costco for winter tyres. Insisted on Bridgestone, because they were running promotions and the price was low by comparison. However the technician insisted on finding a better alternative. And then I was home for another round of searching homework. Finally landedyself a set of alpin PA3, superb performance. Was back and forth from Vancouver to whistler, even during the Christmas season, the little bummer shines! I could be biased on my limited experience, for many choose Bridgestone, I understand for its mass production and therefore competitive price. However, the European companies just know how to live with the days that need to be spent on the Alps in a sports car! Also, The new PA4 is out so you might be lucky to find a closeout deal for PA3. Good luck!
I almost made a bunch of jokes about "Canadian experience" and "Vancouver" (uhhh....that isn't really winter dudes....) but you saved it with Whistler.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

I'm probably 50-50 between the Michelins and the Pirellis....

(and as this thread goes on, we again got a bit of overnight snow....which will all melt in about 2 hours but still....guess i'll have to make a decision sooner or later here)
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil2k2 View Post
My MB C300 4M had Blizzaks - no problems at all, even with a staggered setup.

With the E90, I opted to go with runflats, decided on the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II W210 (lower speed rating and not XL).

I was initially set on the Pirelli Sottozero Serie II W240 (non runflat), XL load rating, higher speed rating. Many Porsche owners use them.

Based on your options, you picked performance winter tires and any one would work well.
Those are the exact Pirellis I am looking at (don't need spped rating beyond H...probably dont even need that!).

Am going non-runflat (after a LOOOOONG/bad experience with my summer tires this year probably caused, at least in part, by fact they were RFTs...but that is all in another thread)

I take it the Pirellis are working for you?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #17
Vreimann
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
So, with the first flakes of winter (which sadly fell last night in a quickly disappearing dusting) thoughts turn to winter tires.

Driving a 2009 E90 (328 xi). Using the stock 16" rims for this purpose.

In Calgary, we can get snow (and lots at times)...but it usually doesnt last - melting either via a sudden chinook or the heavy use of road salt - meaning that most driving is probably on dry pavement, but there are certainly times I'll need something softer than an all season or all weather.

Looking at 4 options, opinions please:

1 Pirelli Sottozero Serie II
2 Michelin Alpin PA3
3 Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D
4 Continental ExtremeWinter
I run the Pirelli on one car and Blizzaks on the other. The pirelli is more a dry cold highway tire on hard pack snow or sanded ice. Love the performance on this condition. Blizzaks are nice with soft deep snow. If I lived in Calgary, I would be using the Pirelli because you guys have weather all over the place.
      10-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #18
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreimann View Post
I run the Pirelli on one car and Blizzaks on the other. The pirelli is more a dry cold highway tire on hard pack snow or sanded ice. Love the performance on this condition. Blizzaks are nice with soft deep snow. If I lived in Calgary, I would be using the Pirelli because you guys have weather all over the place.
thanks. 'preciate the advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Blizzaks
      10-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
mitmoht
Not new member anymore, couple months-old member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

Got me the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. Great ride on dry/ wet roads. Very quiet and smooth. Even better traction, much quieter than the stupid Bridgestone summer RFlats. No traction issues in little to mid snow especially with xdrive. Opted for non-run flats.
      10-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #22
drevil2k2
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 B9 A4

Quote:
Those are the exact Pirellis I am looking at (don't need spped rating beyond H...probably dont even need that!).

Am going non-runflat (after a LOOOOONG/bad experience with my summer tires this year probably caused, at least in part, by fact they were RFTs...but that is all in another thread)

I take it the Pirellis are working for you?
Well, there was a delay in shipping, so the Pirelli snows won't be mounted until later on this month. The car is still under warranty, so for now, will stick with OEM required tires = runflats. Don't want a reason for BMW to not fix and drivetrain related issues. You hear these "stories" about differentials being damaged due to a blow out with a non RFT.