E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Any group discount setup on Window Tinting yet?

06-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #45
PocketRocket
I smile because I dont know whats going on :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Im for Formula One Brand too, btw Ive heard and seen them, they are a little pricey but most guys swear by them.... I'm also open to maybe Sterling location
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #46
PSI Power
Twin Power Goodness
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP SO

I too am probably going to go with Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic tint. Seem like most people on this forum are very happy with Huper Optiks?? or Formula 1. I had Formula 1 metallic on my last Audi and it was good stuff.

I want to get ceramic because:
-- It has a little better heat rejection
-- Will not interfere with Comfort Access, Radio signals, cell phone signals, and whatever.

Looks like we got at least 5 people interested in a Formula 1 Pinnacle tint. Maybe we can approach LA Tint in Sterling for a group deal. I do believe that they do good work.

I am out of town most of this week and next week as well.

Anybody want to call up LA Tint in Sterling to see what they say?
Or I can call them up next week.
Anyone have a relationship with those guys?
'06 Honda S2000, Laguna Blue - Current
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #47
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Guys - I went to the Sterling LA Tint for my F1 Pinnacle ceramic tint. The owner's name is Geoff. He is a good guy, very knowledgeable. They offer a discount (10%?) if you do more than one car, but I think that's intended to apply to individuals who get multiple cars done rather than a group buy. Still, you could ask. You have to make an appt to get your car done, and it only takes about 90 minutes.

They did a very good job and they have a lot of experience with BMWs. I think AJ (bavarian19) also went there for his E92. One thing they did not do is add felt to the rear window seals, which has been reported here as a way to avoid scratches on the rear window tint -- mine has minor scratching on the rear windows. I didn't know about this issue when I got mine done. You may want to print out this thread and ask about it: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50550

F1 Pinnacle 35% looks great. Price was expensive. Around $400, if I remember correctly. Ceramic tint (F1 Pinnacle or Huper Optik) is about that price everywhere, though.

iDrive isn't the issue, but if you have CA, there are some receivers in the rear window, so ceramic tint helps to avoid interference with the CA receivers. Best of luck.
      06-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #48
SGP335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92 Jet Blk

I'm in, it's close to me too. should I just call?
      06-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #49
SGP335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
Honestly, she has no idea (she just signed the papers)....I always ask her....you know how that goes......regardless, she did get a great deal (trade in plus money off...)
We need to get together and play, I know a guy who can get us out of tickets...
      06-13-2007, 10:04 AM   #50
PocketRocket
I smile because I dont know whats going on :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

LA Tint (Alexandria) said they can give 10% discount for only two cars, anymore need to talk to mgr
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #51
MDman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlassic View Post
MDman,

Are you positive this was done at Driven Dynamics? Swoop (Jesse) contacted me directly to setup this group buy so I'm checking in to clear this up - we actually just opened up a month ago, and are trying to offer this deal to promote the shop and get out there to you guys in the area.

I checked through our customer logs for the last few weeks we've been in business and we've never tinted a 650 or any 6 series for that matter.

In addition we're all very meticulous about all our customers cars, as Swoop will be able to tell you. We hooked up the navi module in one of his 335s. Our tinters have been tinting for well over 7 years, and all our tint is computer cut - this is not a mistake we would make.

I'm very certain that your friend didn't get his car tinted at at DD.

Can you check with him and clear it up for us here. If we ever damaged a customer's car we'd most certainly pay up. An incident like this would not go unheard of by my partners or myself.

Let me know!
Thanks!
Collin

Collin,

The only thing I can think of is that I may be mistaken with another shop on Frederick Ave. To tell you the truth I don't know the name of the shop he used but I didn't think there would be any other tint shop on that street.
I did a quick check on mapquest and apparently you guys are not located on 355 which becomes Frederick Ave after Shady Grove Road but on a small side street that is also named Frederick Ave which is close by to the Darcars Collision Center. I apologize if I am mistaken and for not doing a little bit more research before hand....but I will confirm this once my buddy comes back from Iraq.

Another thing is, are you guys certified by or an authorized dealer for Solar Gard cause you don't show up on their website?

Last edited by MDman; 06-13-2007 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 12:10 PM   #52
japac1
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
Now guys..don't slap me over the head for asking this question here. I know there are several threads with this discussion, but everyone in this thread seems to have a great deal of experience in the tint issue.

I have a 335xi sedan, Monaco with beige interior. It badly needs tint. I am thinking about 35% all around. I have read lots of conflicting posts in regard to brands and materials used. After reading and reading, I am leaning towards a ceramic tint. Is the F1 Pinnacle ceramic? Additionally, what is the real impact on the auto-dimming mirror with rear-window tint? And finally, do most installers know about using felt around the glass to avoid scratches?

Thanks for your responses and I apologize if I am off-topic. This site is the best. I have learned so much about my ride!!:rocks:
      06-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #53
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by japac1 View Post
I have a 335xi sedan, Monaco with beige interior. It badly needs tint. I am thinking about 35% all around. I have read lots of conflicting posts in regard to brands and materials used. After reading and reading, I am leaning towards a ceramic tint. Is the F1 Pinnacle ceramic?
Your color scheme is not too different from mine. F1 Pinnacle 35% should look great on your car. I have sapphire black with beige interior. I have F1 35% Pinnacle all around. F1 Pinnacle is ceramic.

I am no tint expert, I've just read a lot of threads. Most tint is metallic. Ceramic tint is a relatively new phenomenon, and most of the ceramic tint discussion will be either F1 Pinnacle or Huper Optik ceramic, who seem to be the two biggest players in the automotive ceramic tint arena.

Those in the tint business say ceramic tint is a little thicker and harder to work with, but it rejects heat better than metallic. And the big bonus is that it does not interfere with any antennae embedded into windows. Some cars have AM or satellite embedded in the rear window. For the E90, only some comfort access receivers are in the rear window. Those without CA may prefer ceramic tint in any case for its better heat rejection and nice neutral color.

Quote:
Additionally, what is the real impact on the auto-dimming mirror with rear-window tint?
No problems with the auto-dimming mirror. No problems whatsoever with 35% tint at night. It's really not that dark at all from inside, a lot less than you'd think.

If you've never had tint before, you will need to get used to the fact that the tint has to curve over the defroster lines in the rear window. This means point light sources like headlights at night will refract up and down from the source. See this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=2151399

This is normal and you get used to it. At first, if you've never had tint before, you'll hate it. I think it's worse with the thicker ceramic tint than with thinner tint. In any case, I don't notice it anymore but disliked it for the first week or so.

Quote:
And finally, do most installers know about using felt around the glass to avoid scratches?
Despite what has been posted elsewhere, I don't think "most" installers know about using felt. In fact, I think very few do and you should bring it up with the installer (print out that thread that mentions it).
      06-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #54
japac1
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
Thanks BK for your reply...
      06-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #55
Swoop
Resident Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: You Crazy w/ My Rear Fogs

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2004 Acura TSX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGP335i View Post
I'm in, it's close to me too. should I just call?
Yeah, just call and mention this ad

A/W 335i e90 l Sirius l M6 Wheels l M5 Bumper l Eibachs l 20% Tint l CPE Exhaust & Standback l BLK Matte Trim l Xenon Interiors l Lux 4.0 l 8000k D1S l MTEC H7/H11s l Invisibulbs l BLK Matte Grill l Blacklines l Alum Pedals l Splt Armrest l Rear Fogs l RBT l K&N
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #56
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrios_jr View Post
maybe you can explain it to us??? please
BK have explained it much better than I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Your color scheme is not too different from mine. F1 Pinnacle 35% should look great on your car. I have sapphire black with beige interior. I have F1 35% Pinnacle all around. F1 Pinnacle is ceramic.

I am no tint expert, I've just read a lot of threads. Most tint is metallic. Ceramic tint is a relatively new phenomenon, and most of the ceramic tint discussion will be either F1 Pinnacle or Huper Optik ceramic, who seem to be the two biggest players in the automotive ceramic tint arena.

Those in the tint business say ceramic tint is a little thicker and harder to work with, but it rejects heat better than metallic. And the big bonus is that it does not interfere with any antennae embedded into windows. Some cars have AM or satellite embedded in the rear window. For the E90, only some comfort access receivers are in the rear window. Those without CA may prefer ceramic tint in any case for its better heat rejection and nice neutral color.

No problems with the auto-dimming mirror. No problems whatsoever with 35% tint at night. It's really not that dark at all from inside, a lot less than you'd think.

If you've never had tint before, you will need to get used to the fact that the tint has to curve over the defroster lines in the rear window. This means point light sources like headlights at night will refract up and down from the source. See this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=2151399

This is normal and you get used to it. At first, if you've never had tint before, you'll hate it. I think it's worse with the thicker ceramic tint than with thinner tint. In any case, I don't notice it anymore but disliked it for the first week or so.

Despite what has been posted elsewhere, I don't think "most" installers know about using felt. In fact, I think very few do and you should bring it up with the installer (print out that thread that mentions it).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #57
TheKlassic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDman View Post
Collin,

The only thing I can think of is that I may be mistaken with another shop on Frederick Ave. To tell you the truth I don't know the name of the shop he used but I didn't think there would be any other tint shop on that street.
I did a quick check on mapquest and apparently you guys are not located on 355 which becomes Frederick Ave after Shady Grove Road but on a small side street that is also named Frederick Ave which is close by to the Darcars Collision Center. I apologize if I am mistaken and for not doing a little bit more research before hand....but I will confirm this once my buddy comes back from Iraq.

Another thing is, are you guys certified by or an authorized dealer for Solar Gard cause you don't show up on their website?
Thanks for looking into it, MD - I definitely need confirmation to rest easy. (Or to know who to kill!) Ha.

We would have a fit if something like this really happened. But yeah, they're 6 tint shops in our area alone, so mistakes like this happen to us a lot. We're actually off of Frederick Ave, but 355 is also known as Frederick Ave, I believe. I checked with our main tinter and he swears we haven't had the luck of getting a 6 series in yet. He's real picky and takes pictures of every single car that comes in, so we were going crazy trying to figure out what happened.

It's all good though. We've had tons of guys come into our shop thinking us for someone else. What're you going to do, you know?

Also, we a definitely authorized to carry Solarguard. Our plotter, films, and marketing materials are all sent directly from Bekaert. I'll make sure we're listed - thanks for the head ups.

Anyhoo, I'll check in with you guys from time to time - back to lurking around the Photo Gallery.

Collin
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #58
PSI Power
Twin Power Goodness
United_States
Rep

OK. So how many are truly interested in getting ceramic tint installed at LA Tint? Either at the Sterling location or Alexandria location?

Let's start a list and I will call them up early next week.

1. PSI Power - Ceramic - Sterling (Preferred)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #59
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
2. ase2dais e90 (F1 non-ceramic-ultimate) Alex or Sterling
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #60
KrnNamja83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328XI, 06 325XI

Quotes Quotes, we need quotes

3. KrnNamja83, don't care long as the tint is not purple and doesnt bubble like crazy
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 12:07 AM   #61
SGP335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
Yeah, just call and mention this ad
Thanks Swoop
      06-14-2007, 07:44 AM   #62
tman
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 BEV

Garage List
2014 i3 BEV  [0.00]
4. tman - (I don't need ceramic as I don't have CA).

It would all depend on the time though; I'm off to Russia for 10 days and will be back on the 27th.

2014 I01 i3 BEV
2011 E91 328i xDRIVE TOURING
| 2010 F83 X3 3.0i xDRIVE | 2006 E90 330i 6MT (Ret)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #63
BCI
Private
Rep
Drives: Montego E92 335i

5. BCI - Ceramic since I have CA - Sterling
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #64
DJ Kaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi AWD

Tinted in Manassas

Got my 328ix Coupe tinted by LA Tint in Manassas, VA. They said they had experience with them including that dreaded dot matrix on the back window. Tint cost was $309. + $20 for the vinyl overlay of the dot matrix. They used Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic tint, since I have Nav. iDrive is not affected by metallic tint...just the Nav. I got 35% sides and 50% back window.

It appears that they did an excellent job, but I'll know in a couple of weeks after it cures.

They do offer a multi-car 10% discount for same owner...different car. I'll be taking in my daughter's '07 MazdaSpeed in soon.

To those who prefer the 335i, I say:
"It's not the length of the wand, but the skill of the magician."
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #65
PSI Power
Twin Power Goodness
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Kaz View Post
Got my 328ix Coupe tinted by LA Tint in Manassas, VA. They said they had experience with them including that dreaded dot matrix on the back window. Tint cost was $309. + $20 for the vinyl overlay of the dot matrix. They used Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic tint, since I have Nav. iDrive is not affected by metallic tint...just the Nav. I got 35% sides and 50% back window.

It appears that they did an excellent job, but I'll know in a couple of weeks after it cures.

They do offer a multi-car 10% discount for same owner...different car. I'll be taking in my daughter's '07 MazdaSpeed in soon.
That's not a bad price at all for Ceramic.
Thanks for the info Kaz.
Keep us updated of the workmanship and quality.

I will give them a call as well to see if they will give us a good discount for at least 5 cars to be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #66
BCI
Private
Rep
Drives: Montego E92 335i

has anyone with CA faced the problems that are covered in this thread?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=dot+matrix

making me think of backing out, CA is finicky enough as it is.
Appreciate 0