E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Do you use/like NLS

04-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

Do you use/like NLS

I've used it for a while and I don't like the bump feeling that I get when power resumes. I've seen at least one other post from a member stating the same.

Am I possibly doing something wrong? I do a fast shift and release the clutch (more of a dump than gentle release) but it feels like there is a delay between the release and the engine resuming power. As far as I can tell the bump is not when the clutch engages but when the engine goes under load again.

I've tried shifting slower and releasing the clutch slower/gently but I don't think it makes any difference. I've done the clutch valve delete.

It might be just me but I think that after I used NLS for few days the clutch feeling changed in 1st gear and it would be kind of rough engaging, no slip that would show on the dash but still felt like slipping and grabbing in short series. That feeling went away after I stopped using the NLS.

So any ideas, maybe there's something wrong with my clutch/gearbox/drivetrain (this is an xi)? I think the NLS works as expected as far as sequence of events go and RPMs do hold steady. Is the car slowing down too much and the engine is going too fast?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

I agree with this. I think I have an issue because I have an ACT clutch where the engagement point is very close to the floor.

This means that during a NLS: ignition is cut as soon as I push the clutch in, but clutch isn't disengaged til the clutch is near the floor, then in next gear clutch is engaged close to floor, but ign is still cut until clutch pedal is at top. It should be more simultaneous. But now there is a dead zone from clutch engagement at bottom of pedal position to resumed engine load at top of pedal position.

I also had a hard time with 2-step. Granted I haven't tried an rpm higher than 2500, but every time I do it my car stalls out after the initial jerk. This seems to happen becuase my clutch is engaging (bottom pedal position) before the ign cut stops (top pedal position).

I could be wrong in all this as I have only tried both of these a few times. Maybe I'll try it out a little more.

I do love how it is sooooo much easier not to misshift with the NLS, I just don't like that jerk feel that I get going into each gear.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Streetluger06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I didn't like it at all. Since installing the harness and running it for about a week I disabled it and have been much happier with my cars performance. It seems to be slower after a shift with it on than without it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
I am interested in this (thinking about installing the WotBox).

Some solutions that I see:

- Do not rely on clutch switch to resume power, just resume it after a pre-set number of milliseconds after the clutch was pressed. This would assume that you shift in a certain timeframe. For Procede, this could probably be implemented in firmware.

- Modify the existing clutch pedal to release the clutch switch earlier (thin out the part that touches the clutch switch with a file, such that when you press the pedal the switch engages later, and disengages earlier). Not sure if it's worth it and how much does a spare pedal cost however (edit: it costs $30).

- As a last solution, I think that installing an alternate, adjustable clutch switch more suited to the engagement point could solve this problem.

Last edited by tscdennab; 04-24-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
spectacula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
I agree with this. I think I have an issue because I have an ACT clutch where the engagement point is very close to the floor.

This means that during a NLS: ignition is cut as soon as I push the clutch in, but clutch isn't disengaged til the clutch is near the floor, then in next gear clutch is engaged close to floor, but ign is still cut until clutch pedal is at top. It should be more simultaneous. But now there is a dead zone from clutch engagement at bottom of pedal position to resumed engine load at top of pedal position.

I also had a hard time with 2-step. Granted I haven't tried an rpm higher than 2500, but every time I do it my car stalls out after the initial jerk. This seems to happen becuase my clutch is engaging (bottom pedal position) before the ign cut stops (top pedal position).

I could be wrong in all this as I have only tried both of these a few times. Maybe I'll try it out a little more.

I do love how it is sooooo much easier not to misshift with the NLS, I just don't like that jerk feel that I get going into each gear.
same thing here with the 2-step...i just set it to 5000 and it doesnt stall
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
spectacula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
I've used it for a while and I don't like the bump feeling that I get when power resumes. I've seen at least one other post from a member stating the same.

Am I possibly doing something wrong? I do a fast shift and release the clutch (more of a dump than gentle release) but it feels like there is a delay between the release and the engine resuming power. As far as I can tell the bump is not when the clutch engages but when the engine goes under load again.

I've tried shifting slower and releasing the clutch slower/gently but I don't think it makes any difference. I've done the clutch valve delete.

It might be just me but I think that after I used NLS for few days the clutch feeling changed in 1st gear and it would be kind of rough engaging, no slip that would show on the dash but still felt like slipping and grabbing in short series. That feeling went away after I stopped using the NLS.

So any ideas, maybe there's something wrong with my clutch/gearbox/drivetrain (this is an xi)? I think the NLS works as expected as far as sequence of events go and RPMs do hold steady. Is the car slowing down too much and the engine is going too fast?
the bump feeling is extremely harsh in my car
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacula View Post
same thing here with the 2-step...i just set it to 5000 and it doesnt stall
Yeah, it looks like the car can't build even 1psi of boost at 2500, or at least mine can't. I'm not brave enough to try 5000 on my CPO xi knowing I can destroy all kinds of bits and pieces
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacula View Post
the bump feeling is extremely harsh in my car
I didn't have meth enabled at the time, I wonder if that would make things worse. Are you running meth?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Chicks-Love-Bimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Would you guys say it's worth upgrading Rev 2.5 to Rev 3 for NLS/2step?
      04-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
spectacula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didn't have meth enabled at the time, I wonder if that would make things worse. Are you running meth?
no meth here just tune and dci....fbo+meth in the next few weeks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

You really have to practice and become very proficient at shifting fast to make this NLS system work well. When I first started using it I was having similar experiences and thoughts as you guys... But once I became skilled with it, the shifting is much faster and more controlled. Doing it properly (super fast) also helps to remove the surge jn power when you let the clutch out.

So yeah, go out and practice more... You'll get the shift times down and reduce the large bump when releasing the clutch
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
135Hoser
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 m4 zcp

I don't use the NLS anymore, but the 2 Step is awesome even if just for its novelty value.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

I have a similar issue, but didnt think it was related to the 2 step.

Anyone else with a ACT clutch and no clutch stop: if you shift pretty fast and hard do you experience a huge slam and pause in acceleration?
I was wondering if its an issue with the pedal being pushed too far, but if i shift slower and not pushing the pedal to the floor it seems to help.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
bahn stormer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i 6MT, 65 MGB

I don't like the bump with NLS either.
There may be a performance advantage, but for street driving I am not crazy about the potential stress on the drive train or suspension.

I have a stock clutch / no clutch stop / modified CDV

With a clutch stop there is a smaller dead band so maybe the bump is not as bad. Maybe I just need to practice as stated above also.
      04-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
I have a similar issue, but didnt think it was related to the 2 step.

Anyone else with a ACT clutch and no clutch stop: if you shift pretty fast and hard do you experience a huge slam and pause in acceleration?
I was wondering if its an issue with the pedal being pushed too far, but if i shift slower and not pushing the pedal to the floor it seems to help.
Yes. I have ACT clutch. See my post above, post #2. I think it's because the NLS activates/deactivates at the top of the clutch pedal position, while the clutch disengages/engages at the bottom (low engagment point of ACT). This means that while the pedal is on its way back up, the clutch engages some time before the ign turns on and load is resumed. They should be simultaneous or as close as possible.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
I just installed the procede's nls and have the same experience... After shifting from 2to3 wot, the car feels underpowered... The 3 to 4 shift feels really good, though... I wonder what is going on with the 2to3 shift though... It takes a couple second for the power to come back on... I wonder if shiv or robert have anything to comment regarding this issue.

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0