Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Run Flat Tire Debacle

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-02-2006, 01:04 PM   #45
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
I know they stock them here in texas at discount tire. I totally agreed with your comment on not having them in stock. But FRT have not been around. As more and more customers purchase RFT, these shops are going to start to notice the increase in demands and begin to stock them.
You exactly right, as they become common on cars more and more places will carry them and who knows, in 3-5 years this becomes a non-issue.

But for now, people need to be prepared for some headaches if they have a problem in a non-metro area and take precautions like an M mobility kit, donut spare etc. if they are going to be in places where it is unlikely they can get a tire quickly if something bad happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #46
Swoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord EXR

What type of donught spare can you even use though? The BMW dealers I talk to seem hellbent against giving a straight answer on this. BMW is pretty much forcing the runflat issue on its customers ... which I don't appreciate at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #47
scubajag
Scuba-JAG
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2006&07 B.R. E-92

If a run-flat gets a nail in it, who do you bring it to for repair? Nail is in regular tread. BMW dealer or a Bridgestone/Firestone dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #48
recruiter
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue(manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
dont forget that there are 2 seiries of the Bridgestone RFT-EL42s and 050AE. I believe you have the 050AE serires which is the same one as my 330 sprt tires. Yup, they are great for my daily drives. However, the EL42s is what many folks are complaining about.

Yes you know your tyres, the actual full number is TO504 050ADZ (Sept 06)build car. Do you know what this means?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #49
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Love My new Michelin Exalto A/S

Hi,

My dealer installed my new Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S non run flat tires today and boy what a difference. They are super quiet. The Bridgestone EL42s were very loud and hard riding. The Michelins are great.

I was able to get BMW to warrant the Bridgestones and only have to come up with half the cost of the Michelins. This is fair as I had 15,000 miles on the EL42s which I figure is half of this tires life.

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #50
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Tire Pressure Recommendations

Hi,

As a side note, I am currently running 32psi front and 36psi rear on these new Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires on my 325xi.

What pressure should I use? The 32/36 is BMW's recommendation for the RFT Bridgestone tires. Should I stick with this or increase to 36/36? What about 36/39 for increased MPG?

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #51
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF
What pressure should I use?
p. 191 of your manual. I don't think you need to do anything different for non-RFT tires.
      12-08-2006, 10:03 AM   #52
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I put Pirelli P-Zero Nero Non-RFT on my car about 2 weeks ago.

I had the same question: So, I called Pirelli. Their Tech person told me that I should use the SAME PRESSURE indicated on the door jam for RFT's. He said there was no difference between RFT and Non-RFT pressures and that the car manufacturer determined the proper inflation for the tires and that recommendation should be followed.

Having said that, my car, a non-Sport 2006 330i says 29/36. I decided to do 30/36 and am very happy with it.

The Pirelli person said ONE POUND extra up front was not a problem.

I hope this helps.

(Oh, by the way, just to confuse you, I also called BMW and they told me it was up to the TIRE MANUFACTURER. Oh well, I try. I called my tire dealer and he told me to follow the sticker on the door jam. So, that's what I'm doing.)

LOVE THOSE REGULAR TIRES..... I now LOVE my car.

Larry in Los Angeles
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #53
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Yup, I just switched to non-RFT's and I'm very happy. I picked up the Kumho Ecsta ASX.
The ride is much smoother and noticeably quieter. I also have much better traction when it's slick out.
I haven't had a chance to really test the handling but it seems to stick even better in corners. I don't notice any extra roll when cornering sharply.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #54
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Those were the ones I was originally going to get and my tire guy (who is the official tire place for Keyes Mercedes and Center BMW) wanted me to get the Kumho's. I decided on the Pirellis even though they cost about $60 more for each tire.

But, I researched the Kumho's and they got unbelievable reviews and comments from owners. Only very few had any problems, and that was just wearing early and a little spongy. But, hardly any had these issues.

Larry
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #55
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

how are they 'forcing' this on you? if you didn't want a car equipped with RFT's and are not willing to swap them for non-RFTs, don't buy the car.

I for one, knew that I would swap out the RFT for non-RFT + a mobility kit, problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh
What type of donught spare can you even use though? The BMW dealers I talk to seem hellbent against giving a straight answer on this. BMW is pretty much forcing the runflat issue on its customers ... which I don't appreciate at all.