E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Roundabout etiquette....

10-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
baz57
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330d SE LCI auto

Roundabout etiquette....

You approach a roundabout. There are two lanes, no road markings.Possible directions to travel are left, straight on or right. Which lane do you approach in, to go straight on?
I was taught (many years ago!) its left lane to go left or straight on, right lane to go right.
Increasing numbers of drivers use the right lane, then cut across to go straight on.
What do you do? What is the latest advice to newly qualified drivers?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 03:49 AM   #2
Banners24b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

In what you describe I use the left hand lane, sometimes the road that would be the straight ahead one has a kind of short filter lane into it off the roundabout for two cars - if that's the case and I am in a rush I will use it and Q on the right hand lane coming onto the roundabout.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #3
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Left hand lane for me if I don't know the road ahead. If I know the road ahead and i know it is a dual carriage coming off the roundabout then I will sometimes use the right hand lane.
      10-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
baz57
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Left hand lane for me if I don't know the road ahead. If I know the road ahead and i know it is a dual carriage coming off the roundabout then I will sometimes use the right hand lane.
Exactly same for me. I seem to be getting an increasing number of drivers using the right lane, when it isn't a dual carriageway ahead. They seem surprised and annoyed that im there at all, not having turned left!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

LEFT if im going straight

however if the road you are going onto has 2 lanes then the guy in the right lane will end up going straight but going into the right lane out of the 2 if that makes any sense!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
Hulla the Hulla
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Left for 1st or second exit, right for 2nd or 3rd etc exit but it really depends who else is around. Either way I proceed with caution just in case someone else is not as on the ball as me....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
baz57
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
LEFT if im going straight

however if the road you are going onto has 2 lanes then the guy in the right lane will end up going straight but going into the right lane out of the 2 if that makes any sense!
Yup!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Left lane if going straight.

I asked why lane markers were not on the road on one of the roundabouts near here, and the reply I received was that it would confuse foreign drivers..

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
JJ0063
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

Left, however an increasing number of BMW, audi, merc and RR drivers seem to think it's the right lane.

I hate it, tars us all with the same brush.

Another etiquette I have picked up on, overtaking. When I overtake, I look to make sure there is plenty of space for me to fit in once I have overtaken.. I am getting sick of having to slam my brakes on where someone in [usually] a RR Evoque decides they will just overtake one car at a time in a queue of traffic, forcing his way in each time.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Another one

When you are turning right (in the right hand lane)

Why does the car thats beside you in the left lane cut into your lane when going straight ahead as if there isn't a roundabout there ????

Nobbers
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 05:48 AM   #11
baz57
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj59 View Post
Left lane if going straight.

I asked why lane markers were not on the road on one of the roundabouts near here, and the reply I received was that it would confuse foreign drivers..
Confuse? Surely it would clarify things?

Having said that, on my drive to work, I encounter a roundabout with three lanes, road marked as left arrow, straight on, and right. Great, no problems there. Most drivers use the right lane to go right.
Further round, road markings change to show the straight on lane with a right road marking also. Soooo.... the guys turning right swop lanes into the left carriageway as its a dual carriageway. Right into the path of those drivers turning right from the centre lane. Emergency braking saved me from being wiped out by a coach on the rare occasion I was in the straight on lane to turn right. I have witnessed two near misses since.
Any ambiguity is never a good thing!
I guess with increasing levels of traffic, things will only get gradually worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #12
baz57
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ0063 View Post
Left, however an increasing number of BMW, audi, merc and RR drivers seem to think it's the right lane.

I hate it, tars us all with the same brush.

Another etiquette I have picked up on, overtaking. When I overtake, I look to make sure there is plenty of space for me to fit in once I have overtaken.. I am getting sick of having to slam my brakes on where someone in [usually] a RR Evoque decides they will just overtake one car at a time in a queue of traffic, forcing his way in each time.
On a motorway, inside lane, about to use the slip road to come off, a car will squeeze in front, and brake hard. The thing is.....there is often lots of empty road behind you!! But...the driver may waste 1/10 of a second by pulling behind you. Sound familiar?
Appreciate 0