E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Possible change to the darkside - the Denzil!

02-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Question Possible change to the darkside - the Denzil!

Guys thoughts on this, its bit mulling around my mind over the last few days,

Ken's and the governments roggering has got my thinking about switching to the 335d! shock horror. My 335i e92 m sport is may 07 production so its just in band g, and I am also worried what the gov will do as regards to band G soon, (2k a year road tax?) so I am thinking I might just cut my losses.

The cost of pertrol and my work commumute (10 miles of speed bumps and traffic jams!) is also a factor, i average around 220 miles from a full tank!

I love the sound of the straight six turbo its stunning, however a remapped 335d will offer performance on a par if not better

should I buy new or second hand? discounts seem poor now!

I was hoping to get a new 335d m sport coupe le mans blue, 225m's, bluetooth, sat nav, tv, grey leather, usb, tv and others

And i am intending to trade in my 07 335i auto msport black sapphire, coral red, 225m, electric dimming mirrors, usb, sat nav pro, heated seats. What do you think I could get price wise? it has 6k miles on it. (i only got a 3% discount) and I stand to lose my GAP/tyre insurance (3 years)

what do you reckon? am i being premature ? or should I buy a 2nd hand 335d or stick with the 335i?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Ge the 335d, you grow to love its gruff and meaty sounding exhaust note under load.

A Re-mapped 335d is faster than a stock 335i also.

Carlos
      02-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

You should have said about 5 weeks ago, you could have had my 335d with the exact spec you want!

I think an AUC 335d E92 with your desired spec would be about £37-£38K minimum, and there are not many around. As for your car I would reckon you are looking at a trade in price of around £32K but you may struggle to get that in my opinion.

For what it is worth I do not think Band G VED will rise that much, more likelihood of an addition band in my opinion. I would keep the 335i (I loved the sound of that engine) and buy a cheap daily diesel runner to get you to/from work.

I lost my GAP/Tyre insurane too when my 335d was sold. Fortunately I was paying for my GAP monthly so i just cancelled the direct debit.

Good luck. whatever you decide to do
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Have you tried doing a national search on BMW's site - ok these are dealer forecourt prices but as a general sort of idea.

As yours is an 07' I can't imagine you'll be offered a trade in price that won't cause offence be it against either a new or used 335d. Trade-in prices will definately vary from dealer to dealer and in different parts of the country. Personally I'd be tempted to get rid if the points you mention are of such a concern and I'm biased towards the 'd' anyhow. First diesel I've owned and I'm pleased with the car in all respects. Why not go for a few test drives, might help you make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
what do you reckon? am i being premature ? or should I buy a 2nd hand 335d or stick with the 335i?
Don't panic .. resist the diesel. It sounds like you do a fiarly small amount of miles, so the economy shouldn't be costing you that much.

I'd check out the proposed increase in the congestion charge areas though. If Ken gets his way this will encompass pretty much everything inside the M25 and any cars with engines 3.0 litres and above would be excempt from the residents discount.

He had a good point with the original congestion charge area that started at Park Lane, but he's gone completely tonto now.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2008, 03:49 AM   #6
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Quote:
Guys thoughts on this, its bit mulling around my mind over the last few days,

Ken's and the governments roggering has got my thinking about switching to the 335d! shock horror. My 335i e92 m sport is may 07 production so its just in band g, and I am also worried what the gov will do as regards to band G soon, (2k a year road tax?) so I am thinking I might just cut my losses.

The cost of pertrol and my work commumute (10 miles of speed bumps and traffic jams!) is also a factor, i average around 220 miles from a full tank!

I love the sound of the straight six turbo its stunning, however a remapped 335d will offer performance on a par if not better

should I buy new or second hand? discounts seem poor now!

I was hoping to get a new 335d m sport coupe le mans blue, 225m's, bluetooth, sat nav, tv, grey leather, usb, tv and others

And i am intending to trade in my 07 335i auto msport black sapphire, coral red, 225m, electric dimming mirrors, usb, sat nav pro, heated seats. What do you think I could get price wise? it has 6k miles on it. (i only got a 3% discount) and I stand to lose my GAP/tyre insurance (3 years)

Cheers!
I think you should stick with the i.

You are at the steepest part of the depreciation cycle at the moment, and you'll probb only get 30k trade in against another car, that loss will not be made up by a few more mpg. band g currently at 300quid wil rise to 400 quid and its fixed at that fro 2 years anyway, so on that point i think your safe.

However if you have to travel into london everyday at a cost of 25quid (600 per month) and your company wont pay it then get rid, and do it fast, as i imagine alot of people are considering the same thing as you!!

Good luck anyway.

Steve
      02-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

thanks pete, helen and carlos, appreiciate your views!

NFS - good point on the congestion charge, currently I commute from richmond to hammersmith, and I don't need to drive into town (C Zone), so should be ok.

I think i wanted to react prematurely to Ken's charge. Boris will be in by summer so I need not worry and lets hope porsche challenge successfully! as I understand Ken plans to charge cars whether they move or not within the zone?

Maybe Ken can apply for the new Cuba president job

Thanks Steve, good point. Will stick with the 335i I love it too bits espically as the car has just come back from the stealers with a squeeky rear wheel fixed - it was a bearing after all!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 02:54 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
NFS - good point on the congestion charge, currently I commute from richmond to hammersmith, and I don't need to drive into town (C Zone), so should be ok.
What I meant was possible future changes to the charge.

I read a piece in EVO magazine a couple of months ago suggesting that there was discussion going on to the effect that the Low Emissions Zone would be applied to cars as well as commercial vehicles.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/...eaofoperation/

Obviously this covers a massive area. The infrastructure is already there (cameras etc) so they COULD easily apply the con charge to this area.

The suggestion in EVO was that they were proposing to scrap residents discounts for cars over 3.0litres. So if you live in the LEZ you would be paying £25 a day every day just to have your car.

This may never happen, I think it would be a step to far even for Red Ken, but ... it has been discussed.
Appreciate 0