E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > REVIEW: Blackvue Dash Cam on M3

04-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
advans
Advansolosis
Rep
Drives: ///M+////AMG

REVIEW: Blackvue Dash Cam on M3

I bought a Blackvue Dash-cam for the M3, since the past two years, some idiot runs into my car, and I get blamed for it from the insurance.

I bought the DR400G-HD 1080p from Blackvue, pictured below

REVIEW

Asthetics 8/10
The device looks more slick online than in person. It's not OVERSIZED but it does look a little out of proportion. Construction looks cleaner than the GoPro. Everything was pretty well thoughtout. You can use the software to select the "LED" light that lights up, red/green/blue/amber/etc. you name it. The product looks pretty 'finished' but I have to say, it's not 100%

Recording and Storage6/10
Majority of the points come from the actual recording footage. Its 1080p 30fps, the sound is great, but it has a slight fish-eye on the sides. Night time recording is not bad, but not the greatest. The videos are definitely clear. Mine is a 16GB up to 32GB with a Micro SD Card. However, I've gotten this machine for a month or so, and this thing crashed on me about 5 times. I've gotten issues with "Cannot read SD Card" and when I went to check the footage, it actually DIDNT RECORD. I don't know whats wrong with it, but I've contacted Blackvue customer service (see rant below)

Customer Service2/10
The guy seems really nice before you pay, and maybe right after you pay. But once you get the device, you're pretty much on your own. I had an error with the MicroSD card, and customer service at Blackvue USA said he will send out a new one right away. 1-2 weeks go by, nothing. I actually ended up purchasing a new one myself. Blackvue said they will send another out asap, and I still haven't received. I've emailed them with questions regarding the "recording" problem, where my files go missing. I drove for 2-days, about 5-6 hours total, which no way would it fill up the SD card, but when I got home, there was only 1 video of the last 3 mins of driving, till I got home. Till today, no response.

My friend had recently ordered a D500GW-HD from them, after my intial "good" review from them. It took about 2 weeks till he received it. They state that they have everything in stock, and will ship in 24 hours. However, they emailed my friend AFTER he paid, and told him that it was back ordered. He emailed Blackvue for a 'price quote and availability' with a different email. They had stated that the device is in stock and ready to ship as soon as payment is cleared. So there you go. Crooks.

Overall3/10 I would honestly go and stick with the GoPro. It's known for a reason. They also have great customer service. The blacvue is a little cool device, but the customer service is horrible. It' doesn't matter how good your product is, but if you don't have the customer service to back it up, it's just garbage.

I've also came upon the ION Air Pro Camera today, the device seems pretty legit. I would give that a shot.

2011 E90 M3, ESS VT2-650, 2015 GL550
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Make sure you get class 10 micro sd cards. I've got a 32gig Sandisk class 10 and I haven't had an error in over 3 months of driving. I honestly forget the camera is even there now.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by advans View Post
My friend had recently ordered a D500GW-HD from them, after my intial "good" review from them. It took about 2 weeks till he received it. They state that they have everything in stock, and will ship in 24 hours. However, they emailed my friend AFTER he paid, and told him that it was back ordered. He emailed Blackvue for a 'price quote and availability' with a different email. They had stated that the device is in stock and ready to ship as soon as payment is cleared. So there you go. Crooks.
I was going to order D500W-HD soon but your comments put me off.
I really get mixed reviews online and some says they never had issues while other says that they get.

B/W did you update the version on your 400 at any time? I know that you stated that you bought it from US vendor, but I read that if you buy korean models and install the english firmware, you get freezing and other issues.

I have already sources hacked version for D500W and was going to work on that, but I will hold the plans.
      04-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
advans
Advansolosis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I was going to order D500W-HD soon but your comments put me off.
I really get mixed reviews online and some says they never had issues while other says that they get.

B/W did you update the version on your 400 at any time? I know that you stated that you bought it from US vendor, but I read that if you buy korean models and install the english firmware, you get freezing and other issues.

I have already sources hacked version for D500W and was going to work on that, but I will hold the plans.
look into the Ion Air Camera, it seems like a better option. I bought it direct from blackvue USA because I didn't want the Korean version. But I can't guarantee he didn't sell me a Korean one. I hope not.

The Micro SD I have is a Class 10.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
look into the Ion Air Camera, .
I will google it when at home. I hope we have those in UK as most of the things are very limited in UK and always over priced.
      04-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
advans
Advansolosis
Rep

Quote:
I will google it when at home. I hope we have those in UK as most of the things are very limited in UK and always over priced.
ohh, the Ion looks like as if the BlackVue and GoPro had a baby. it looks like the perfect cam so far.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
ohh, the Ion looks like as if the BlackVue and GoPro had a baby. it looks like the perfect cam so far.
Just had a quick look.
Are they not for bilkers? Or does it come with car mount?
      04-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
advans
Advansolosis
Rep

Quote:
Just had a quick look.
Are they not for bilkers? Or does it come with car mount?
I think it does come with car mounts, one of the unit does, or it's an additional accessory.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think it does come with car mounts, one of the unit does, or it's an additional accessory.
double checked and no it does not come with a car mount.
It gets 3/5 reviews.
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camc...-35307598.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404862,00.asp