E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Anyone used Active Cruise Control?

01-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
greyt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 & iX3

Anyone used Active Cruise Control?

Just started to spec a new 335D.. my current one is has a good spec and I will keep most options, but was wondering whether to add active cruise control?

Does this work well in the 3 series? BMW web site says it has "stop and go", is this for when in a traffic jam?

Has anyone got any experience of using this and would you recommend it?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Yes I have it. The version in the 3-series is NOT stop-and-go. You need a 5-series for the stop-and-go function.

The 3-series version will disconnect if the speed, due to traffic, falls below about 16mph. The maxiumum set speed is also 110mph, which I have actually found a bit limiting a couple of times....

I would recommend it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
greyt
Private First Class
Rep

thanks - I had read that stop and go was not on the 3 series, but when adding it on the BMW web site it is described as stop and go, wondering if it is a 2010 adddition.....
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Nope, my car was built in June 2010 and it ain't got it. 5-series only.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
nicko44
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport Manual

I've used active cruise control and found it to be really really helpful. At first you're not sure that it is going to work and you find yourself with your foot hovering over the brake pedal just in case the cruise control decides to run into the car ahead of you. However, after a few miles you learn to trust it and it works a treat.
On the standard cruise control you find that you keep closing up on the traffic ahead when going uphill on motorways, because the natural tendency of most drivers is to slow slightly and then pick up speed again when they go downhill. With active cruise control, your car will just naturally adjust to this, saving you having to brake and then reaccelerate.

If I can afford it, I will definitely spec it on my next car.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Had it on my 335d, it was great for the average speed sections in the M25 roadworks.

My main grumble would be that the minimum distance, to the car in front of that you can set, is too far - it leaves a gap that someone can easily pull into.
      01-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
greyt
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I decided to add it to the order :-)

I don't think I have missed many toys now (most are on my current car, but it will be nice to get the upgraded Idrive etc.)

335D M Sport Coupe
19" alloys
electric mirrors
heated seats
active cruise control
bluetooth prep
navigation professional
DAB Radio
Loudspeaker system
USB Interface
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Nope, my car was built in June 2010 and it ain't got it. 5-series only.
Model year changes are from september each year, so maybe from sept 10 it has stop & go??
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #9
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Model year changes are from september each year, so maybe from sept 10 it has stop & go??
i found it on their site in about 20 seconds, turns out the newer ones do have it

http://bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/efficient_dynamics/bc/standard
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
greyt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiz View Post
i found it on their site in about 20 seconds, turns out the newer ones do have it

http://bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/efficient_dynamics/bc/standard
I think you may be getting stop and go confused with auto start stop.

stop and go - part of active cruise control that will move and stop the car when in stop/start traffic

auto start stop - turn engine off when stationary.

stop and go is detailed here - http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ontrol_stop_go

this link says that the 3 series doesnt have the function, my dealer has now confirmed this. The confusion is that the BMW web site says it has it when you go through configuring and building your car.....
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyt View Post
I think you may be getting stop and go confused with auto start stop.

stop and go - part of active cruise control that will move and stop the car when in stop/start traffic

auto start stop - turn engine off when stationary.

stop and go is detailed here - http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ontrol_stop_go

this link says that the 3 series doesnt have the function, my dealer has now confirmed this. The confusion is that the BMW web site says it has it when you go through configuring and building your car.....
oooh my bad, thought you were talking about the stop stop in relation to the engine
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #12
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
My main grumble would be that the minimum distance, to the car in front of that you can set, is too far - it leaves a gap that someone can easily pull into.
Thats called your braking zone. If you drive less than a car length behind the car in front you are far too close to them.

You see all those shunts where traffic backs up and people can't stop in the distance they have left themselves, creating a nice little pile of cars in the "fast lane"? Now ask why active cruise control leaves a proper gap.

With respect, its your kind of competitive driving thats responsible for creating so much of the congestion we have on the roads. You can fit far more vehicles down a motorway if everyone slows down and leaves suitable gaps. That way people don't need to keep dabbing the brakes, which means no back pressure wave making the people behind brake harder until a little way back traffic has come to a complete halt. Thats why they introduced active traffic management, with the speed limit gantries - slow people down, smooth the flow, we get there quicker.

Or, you can sit a foot off the car in front to stop other people getting in front of you, reacting to braking with hard braking. I'll be passing up your inside in the "northerners only" lane you seem to have on the M25 (also known as lane 1).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

With respect, if you haven't driven with ACC, you probably won't know what I mean, and you have no idea what my driving style is. I regulate my braking distance with the speed, traffic density, weather and lighting conditions, meaning that I'm frequently not the one dabbing brakes when those in front of me are.

I would never drive one car length from another driver at speed (let alone less than one), so there is no need for the patronising lesson in braking distances

The ACC system leaves (I'd estimate as it's been a year since I had it), 5 or 6 car lengths between you and the car in front. This is fine, but when you get people constantly filling the gap and reducing your car-in-front gap, you find the car dabbing the brakes for you, which can get a bit frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdale Pioneers View Post
Thats called your braking zone. If you drive less than a car length behind the car in front you are far too close to them.

You see all those shunts where traffic backs up and people can't stop in the distance they have left themselves, creating a nice little pile of cars in the "fast lane"? Now ask why active cruise control leaves a proper gap.

With respect, its your kind of competitive driving thats responsible for creating so much of the congestion we have on the roads. You can fit far more vehicles down a motorway if everyone slows down and leaves suitable gaps. That way people don't need to keep dabbing the brakes, which means no back pressure wave making the people behind brake harder until a little way back traffic has come to a complete halt. Thats why they introduced active traffic management, with the speed limit gantries - slow people down, smooth the flow, we get there quicker.

Or, you can sit a foot off the car in front to stop other people getting in front of you, reacting to braking with hard braking. I'll be passing up your inside in the "northerners only" lane you seem to have on the M25 (also known as lane 1).
      01-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

I'll shut up then!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdale Pioneers View Post
I'll shut up then!
      03-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #16
NM7
NM7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535d F10, x1 2.5d F48, x3 3.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
Had it on my 335d, it was great for the average speed sections in the M25 roadworks.

Ed the car still going well mate use the Active cruise everyday to work LOL!!! cars done 50k due for 1st service!!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #17
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neetin View Post
Ed the car still going well mate use the Active cruise everyday to work LOL!!! cars done 50k due for 1st service!!
Hi Neetin

Strangely enough, I was just wondering over the weekend whether you still had the 335d! Have you made any mods?

Don't forget to supply your own oil for the service - it'll save you about £60 - £70