E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Evos

04-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #23
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Tried to go there, branch told me no. So here I am in Georgia.

Anyways, what you just told me is very disappointing. I thought the engine was more stout than that. Guess I'll look into Supras now.
Total and complete BS. The Evo 4G was the stoutest 4 cylinder made, period. It is the 2JZ of the 4 cylinder world. Any car can have issues, especially if you don't know how to mod them. Evos stand up to a TON of abuse without any problems, for the most part. James' friends are either incredibly unlucky, or don't know what they are doing (I'm voting for the latter, spinning a bearing in an Evo means you detonated the DOG piss out of it). Its as simple as that.

You can make nearly 400 whp on the stock turbo and pump gas with an Evo and it will never break a sweat. 100k+ miles on that, no problem. My Evo had 425 whp on pump gas with a GT-35R, motor was bone stock other than cams and injectors. I even had the stock clutch! The car now has 80k on it, has had over 300 whp since 2k miles, over 400 whp since 40k miles...its still in perfect shape, and still on the stock clutch. I did NOT baby it either, just didn't launch it much to keep from smoking the clutch out of the car. There are 100 modded evos in perfect shape to somebody's "friend" who had this or that go out on a lightly modded one.

I can think of 10+ people I know closely with Evos and none of them have had any sort of catastrophic failure in the slightest.
      04-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #24
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
Total and complete BS. The Evo 4G was the stoutest 4 cylinder made, period. It is the 2JZ of the 4 cylinder world. Any car can have issues, especially if you don't know how to mod them. Evos stand up to a TON of abuse without any problems, for the most part. James' friends are either incredibly unlucky, or don't know what they are doing (I'm voting for the latter, spinning a bearing in an Evo means you detonated the DOG piss out of it). Its as simple as that.

You can make nearly 400 whp on the stock turbo and pump gas with an Evo and it will never break a sweat. 100k+ miles on that, no problem. My Evo had 425 whp on pump gas with a GT-35R, motor was bone stock other than cams and injectors. I even had the stock clutch! The car now has 80k on it, has had over 300 whp since 2k miles, over 400 whp since 40k miles...its still in perfect shape, and still on the stock clutch. I did NOT baby it either, just didn't launch it much to keep from smoking the clutch out of the car. There are 100 modded evos in perfect shape to somebody's "friend" who had this or that go out on a lightly modded one.

I can think of 10+ people I know closely with Evos and none of them have had any sort of catastrophic failure in the slightest.
Haha you really have no idea what you're talking about huh? Why don't you go ask Shiv how stout the Evo's really are.

400whp on a stock turbo huh? What are you smoking? The first thing people change out on Evo's are the turbo with something with a little more volumetric efficiency that doesn't require 25lbs of boost
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #25
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
Haha you really have no idea what you're talking about huh? Why don't you go ask Shiv how stout the Evo's really are.

400whp on a stock turbo huh? What are you smoking? The first thing people change out on Evo's are the turbo with something with a little more volumetric efficiency that doesn't require 25lbs of boost

I don't think Shiv is the person to go to when asking about 4G63's. I'd suggest AMS, Buschur, Turbotrix etc before making your conclusion. BTW 4G63s are amazing motors. Which BMW motor will produce 2 x its power on stock internals ? None

Harry
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #26
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Here's the url to a guy I used to track with:
http://www.nsxfiles.com/stories.htm

Check out chapter 114 "Evo's at Streets of Williow" See how many times blown engine and Evo are mentioned in the same sentence.

Chapter 108 talks about how Mitsubishi denied his warranty because he tracked his car.

Either you guys don't track your cars enough or are extremly lucky... LOL

PS: Anyone who has been into road racing long enough know who Doug is. He's a mainstay in the California road racing scene. He is the author of that site and tells it like it is. His friend Wayne owns that particular Evo.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #27
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:

You have no idea what you are talking about here buddy. I'm not just spouting off here, I used to tune Evos on the side, as well as built a few including my own. The stock turbo on the Evo 9 is the best single stock turbo to ever come on a car and certainly the largest. Show me another single stock turbo that will flow ~43 lb/min. It will make 380+ whp on pump gas with bolt on mods. As to running 25 psi of boost, the car runs 22 from the factory, there's little difference in upping it a bit more. The car was designed for that. And swapping the turbo is HARDLY the first thing people do when going for power. I could link this thread to evom and watch everybody laugh at you if you like. Buschur, AMS, ETS, etc will all tell you to max out the stocker before you even THINK about going to a big turbo.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/E...rbo_157374.htm
Here's an evo 9 with the stock turbo and stock CAMS running a low 11 second pass on pump gas with meth. The record on the stock turbo with an Evo is deep into the 10s now. Yeah, really need a big turbo to go fast with an Evo
      04-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #28
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You have no idea what you are talking about here buddy. I'm not just spouting off here, I used to tune Evos on the side, as well as built a few including my own. The stock turbo on the Evo 9 is the best single stock turbo to ever come on a car and certainly the largest. Show me another single stock turbo that will flow ~43 lb/min. It will make 380+ whp on pump gas with bolt on mods. As to running 25 psi of boost, the car runs 22 from the factory, there's little difference in upping it a bit more. The car was designed for that. And swapping the turbo is HARDLY the first thing people do when going for power. I could link this thread to evom and watch everybody laugh at you if you like. Buschur, AMS, ETS, etc will all tell you to max out the stocker before you even THINK about going to a big turbo.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/E...rbo_157374.htm
Here's an evo 9 with the stock turbo and stock CAMS running a low 11 second pass on pump gas with meth. The record on the stock turbo with an Evo is deep into the 10s now. Yeah, really need a big turbo to go fast with an Evo
Is that video supposed to change the fact that Evo's have one of the worst Consumer Digest Reliability ratings? Or the fact Mitsubishi went on a witch hunt to void countless warranties because their owners simply drove their car on a track or that they posted on the internet they had done mods to their car?

You know a guy who ran a 11, and I know a guy who went through 3 engines, 2 built by Road Race Engineering... one of the supposed best Evo tuners out there. And a Evo runs a 11 second quarter mile, am I supposed to be impressed? Take it to a road course and see how many laps it will take before it blows it's motor. Life doesnt begin and end with a 1/4 run. Learn how to turn that steering wheel then check back with me later.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #29
Car Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Have to agree with A418t81 here, the 4G63 is well respected as a very resilient engine that is easy to mod and lasts through all kinds of abuse. I followed the Evo community on evolutionm.net for quite a while and was just short of pulling the trigger on one when I decided to get my 335.

There's always going to be stories of people blowing their engines when modifying them and racing, but it's really a rarity when it comes to the 4G63. You have to be really unlucky or push the engine way beyond its limits, which is hard to do on this car, before it gives up on you. My close friend has a lightly modded Evo 8 that has lasted through all kinds of abuse and still runs strong.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #30
Car Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Digital, you need to do some research before bashing on such a great car. The Evo dominates road courses even more than it does dragstrips. People driving lightly modded Evo's all across this country whip the piss out of Porsche's, bmw's, audi's, and corvettes all day and make cars 3 times their price look silly. I'd bet if you ran into one on a road course it'd whip you sideways all day without even breaking a sweat.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #31
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Why don't you read back a few posts, where I say that the thing is a beast at the track when it's not blowing up...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #32
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Got to disagree with you James. 4G63's are pretty damn tough, If people blow them up at tracks it's most likely because of poor tuning or operator error.

I had 50K on my when I got rid of it and it was still running like a champ on all the original driveline components.

As far as Mitsu and their witch hunt goes... Look around here a bit too or any other car forum for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #33
roozie2001
Just some guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 White 335i sedan

Theres a few super tough motors out there. The only other one i can think of other than the EVO 4g63 is the supras 2jz and maybeeeee the 87 buick GNX aka buick grand nationals. That car is a monster especially for being over 20 years old.
      04-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #34
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Is that video supposed to change the fact that Evo's have one of the worst Consumer Digest Reliability ratings? Or the fact Mitsubishi went on a witch hunt to void countless warranties because their owners simply drove their car on a track or that they posted on the internet they had done mods to their car?

You know a guy who ran a 11, and I know a guy who went through 3 engines, 2 built by Road Race Engineering... one of the supposed best Evo tuners out there. And a Evo runs a 11 second quarter mile, am I supposed to be impressed? Take it to a road course and see how many laps it will take before it blows it's motor. Life doesnt begin and end with a 1/4 run. Learn how to turn that steering wheel then check back with me later.
I don't give a damn about what consumer reports says. CR is for soccer moms and people who can't do their own research. They will ding a car for being unreliable if a piece of trim scratches too easily....hardly the following that drives an Evo.

Finally, RRE is HARDLY one of the best tuners out there. Frankly, they're second tier at best and they've about fallen off the face of the earth and if they are the ones who built your buddy's motor, that was the problem right there.

Life doesn't revolve around the 1/4, but you just said they couldn't make 400 whp on the stock turbo, so I proved you wrong using real world results, not dyno racing. I'll be happy to oblige you all day long, this is an easy "debate."
      04-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #35
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

Quote:

You must be out of your mind.

Reading your numerous posts, your knowledge is very limited to some dumb evo owners around you. If you get a bad tune, no matter how strong the motor is, it will blow up. There are tens of thousands of evo owners pushing 350whp+ with having ZERO problems. What you are hearing is only a fraction of it and could not be used to judge the car as a whole.

400whp could be attained on Evo IX stock turbo with bolt ons and meth injection. I would keep my mouth where it belongs if you don't know what you're talking about.

links to 400whp on stock turbo
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...hp+stock+turbo

There are countless people on stock turbos who are pushing 350+whp.
Volumetric efficiency?
They are much more efficient than 335i tiny snails.
Don't just look at the boost pressure, look at the static compression and effective compression.

Again, you must have some balls or ignorant as hell to bad mouth evo's which run 53.4 in tsukuba circuit and are history proven race vehicles.
      04-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #36
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep

Quote:

You know a guy who did this, and you know that guy who did this.
Frankly, I don't give a damn because you are not looking at the whole picture.
I was at 450whp on stock motor. And there are so many people pushing 500whp+ on stock block as well.
And road race engineering is not one of the best evo tuners.
I have never heard of them.

FYI, you need a different tune for a road race course where you abuse the motor for a prolonged period of time. Take your street tuned or drag tuned bmw and take it to the road course and race for hours, it will blow up just the same.
      04-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #37
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't give a damn about what consumer reports says. CR is for soccer moms and people who can't do their own research. They will ding a car for being unreliable if a piece of trim scratches too easily....hardly the following that drives an Evo.

Finally, RRE is HARDLY one of the best tuners out there. Frankly, they're second tier at best and they've about fallen off the face of the earth and if they are the ones who built your buddy's motor, that was the problem right there.

Life doesn't revolve around the 1/4, but you just said they couldn't make 400 whp on the stock turbo, so I proved you wrong using real world results, not dyno racing. I'll be happy to oblige you all day long, this is an easy "debate."
Some people are just close-minded and ignorant. No matter how hard you try to get the facts across, they just don't get it.

Its like trying to teach bible to a cow.
      04-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #38
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by black335i View Post
Got called out by an evo running 23 pounds of boost full exhaust and precision tunning and intake at the track.I have a filter, from the go I jumped on him then at 70 he put 3 car lengths.Not to bad for a stock 335.
Please define "car lenghts". I suppose you are talking about limousines right?

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #39
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkevoIX View Post
You must be out of your mind.

Reading your numerous posts, your knowledge is very limited to some dumb evo owners around you. If you get a bad tune, no matter how strong the motor is, it will blow up. There are tens of thousands of evo owners pushing 350whp+ with having ZERO problems. What you are hearing is only a fraction of it and could not be used to judge the car as a whole.

400whp could be attained on Evo IX stock turbo with bolt ons and meth injection. I would keep my mouth where it belongs if you don't know what you're talking about.

links to 400whp on stock turbo

There are countless people on stock turbos who are pushing 350+whp.
Volumetric efficiency?
They are much more efficient than 335i tiny snails.
Don't just look at the boost pressure, look at the static compression and effective compression.

Again, you must have some balls or ignorant as hell to bad mouth evo's which run 53.4 in tsukuba circuit and are history proven race vehicles.
Am I supposed to be impressed? A NA S200 can run Tsukuba in under 54 seconds.

Like I said, Ive seen it enough to know that I would never buy or recommend an evo to anyone. Ive been to track day where 3 out of 9 evos had to be towed home. Good record there right? I've said it before and I'll say it again for your stupid people who can't read... THEY ARE FAST WHEN THEY ARENT BLOWING UP.

You can post as many links to "high" horsepower evos. Still doesnt change the fact they are unreliable cars. Which is why they're always rated poorly when it comes to reliability, which is why their resale sucks.

And trust me, I have enough balls to say whatever I want. Don't tell me where I've been or what I've done. You don't have the slightest idea.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #40
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Some people are just close-minded and ignorant. No matter how hard you try to get the facts across, they just don't get it.

Its like trying to teach bible to a cow.
What facts? Some links to a Evo forum is hardly facts.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #41
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Am I supposed to be impressed? A NA S200 can run Tsukuba in under 54 seconds.

Like I said, Ive seen it enough to know that I would never buy or recommend an evo to anyone. Ive been to track day where 3 out of 9 evos had to be towed home. Good record there right? I've said it before and I'll say it again for your stupid people who can't read... THEY ARE FAST WHEN THEY ARENT BLOWING UP.

You can post as many links to "high" horsepower evos. Still doesnt change the fact they are unreliable cars. Which is why they're always rated poorly when it comes to reliability, which is why their resale sucks.

And trust me, I have enough balls to say whatever I want. Don't tell me where I've been or what I've done. You don't have the slightest idea.
Um..show me the link where N/A s2k hit under 54sec at tsukuba circuit?

400whp isn't considered "high" horsepower in evo community.
What I posted is "stock turbo" evos that are making over 400whp which YOU called someone "what are you smoking??" for.
1000whp? Yes, that's high.

When you start modding to the higher level, you have to be ready to accept consequences. I have seen MANY evo's who were drag racing that resulted in broken transmission and broken trasnfer cases and clutches, but only 1 who had a blown motor due to very high horsepower level. ~500whp.

I don't care what you say about their reliability because they are not as unreliable as you make it out to be especially when it comes to the engine.

Well the bottom line is, I certainly can't argue with someone whose attitude outways his ignorance.

You really have no idea what you're talking about dude. At least back up your rediculous claims with 'technical' supporting facts..
      04-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #42
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What facts? Some links to a Evo forum is hardly facts.
I made 360whp/358wtq @23psi with TBE, boost controller, FMIC.

400whp+ is possible with methanol injection at around 28-29psi.

That's the FACT. Just like 335i is good for 320-340whp after a tune is the fact.

Also the fact is evo IX's 16g is more efficient than you think.
Also the fact is just because a turbo requires a 23psi doesn't mean its volumetrically inefficient. (You are not taking compression and other factors such as timing, EGT, into consideration.)
      04-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #43
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Um..show me the link where N/A s2k hit under 54sec at tsukuba circuit?

400whp isn't considered "high" horsepower in evo community.
What I posted is "stock turbo" evos that are making over 400whp which YOU called someone "what are you smoking??" for.
1000whp? Yes, that's high.

When you start modding to the higher level, you have to be ready to accept consequences. I have seen MANY evo's who were drag racing that resulted in broken transmission and broken trasnfer cases and clutches, but only 1 who had a blown motor due to very high horsepower level. ~500whp.

I don't care what you say about their reliability because they are not as unreliable as you make it out to be especially when it comes to the engine.

Well the bottom line is, I certainly can't argue with someone whose attitude outways his ignorance.
You can say you don't care, and you shouldnt because you're blinded by your ownership of a evo. I didnt take the time to click on those links, because I dont give a rats ass. Something someone posted on a forum is not truth, just like this post isnt going to prove shit to you. I'm just posting my personnel experiences. Sorry you're so ignorant and blinded that you can't except that. I trust the people I have seen and know a lot more then I trust you.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #44
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I made 360whp/358wtq @23psi with TBE, boost controller, FMIC.

400whp+ is possible with methanol injection at around 28-29psi.

That's the FACT. Just like 335i is good for 320-340whp after a tune is the fact.

Also the fact is evo IX's 16g is more efficient than you think.
Also the fact is just because a turbo requires a 23psi doesn't mean its volumetrically inefficient. (You are not taking compression and other factors such as timing, EGT, into consideration.)
And your point is? How does this prove that Ive sen countless Evo disabled on the sides of tracks? Jesus are you blind or retarded? Or both? I AM NOT DEBATING THE POWER OR THE SPEED OF THIS CAR... JUST THE RELIABILITY. FUCKING A...
Appreciate 0