E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Ticking/clunking noise....

07-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Ticking/clunking noise....

I have a 06 E90 AT, and recently my car is making this little ticking noise when driving. You can hear it only a lower speed (maybe <15 MPH) or in a garage/parking building. At first I thought it was just rocks stuck in my tires, but later found out that's not it. The frequency of the ticking noise increases as the speed increases, and slows down as the slows down.

What's more, I am experiencing one louder clunking noise when I backup from a complete stop and then hitting the brake. It also comes up when my car goes forward from a complete stop then hitting the brake. Both noises can be heard clearly and only come up ONCE after I hit the brake. No matter how many times I hit the brake afterward, the noise won't come on.

Me and an independent mechanic looks underneath the car and we determined that the noises are not brakes related, and we were sure that none of the sway bar end links or structs are loose in any way. However, the guy told me it could be clutch related. I just might go ahead and bring the car to the dealership to let them tell me what's going on, but I rather see if my fellow members can help me out first. My car is out of warranty so I am kinda prepared to be slapped with a big bill.

My car drives fine without any errors on the dash, and it has roughly 45100 on the clock.

Update:

I just went out and jacked up the rear of the car (rear wheels suspended). When I turn the wheel forward and backward, I can hear a clear clunk noise coming up underneath the car. The noise is coming from middle of the car, just above the two catalytic converters. Damn, I am afraid that it's clutch/transmission related problem.

Last edited by yamazaho; 07-31-2010 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
wolfpack2013
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Had the similar "clunking" noise when starting from rest. Had the driveshaft replaced under warranty and no more noise. Might also be the rear diff bushings as those seem to wear out and cause some play back there.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
^ Thanks for the input. Anyone else???
      08-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
ticking noise could be the n52 lifter issue, tons of info on it. you can even go on youtube to hear what it sounds like. if it is that, make an appt with your dealer since there's a TSB on it.
      08-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
ticking noise could be the n52 lifter issue, tons of info on it. you can even go on youtube to hear what it sounds like. if it is that, make an appt with your dealer since there's a TSB on it.
^ Thanks for the insight. However, as I stated, the noise is coming from the drive shaft/transmission area (just above the cat area) and not from the engine. And no I don't have issue with the ticking noise on youtube.....yet.......

Anyone else???
      08-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
G35to330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i Sedan

I just got rid of my e90 330i and this may/not be helpful, but one of the reasons I got rid of it was because of this clicking/thunking sound close to the transmission. The car would "lightly" grind while going into gears, and sometimes it would not go into reverse or first at all without the handy old "double clutch". The sound was not there all the time and would go away as soon as I pushed in the clutch. It may be related, may not be. My conclusion was that it was possibly the gear syncro's. I'm not a mechanic, so I may be completely wrong, but that's what I thought it was. I HOPE that it's nothing that serious for you. Best of luck to you my friend.

EDIT
Just read that you have an AT... so I doubt it's the syncro's. Best of luck to you either way.

Last edited by G35to330i; 08-02-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0