E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AR Dps & vangaurd exhaust Smoking??

08-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
cimini121
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Sport Alpine White

AR Dps & vangaurd exhaust Smoking??

Just installed my vangaurd exhaust with my ar dps now when i come to a stop at light smoke comes out of exhaust?? Is this because i have no Cats now? or will this go away after the exhaust builds up carbon in it?? Also if i get secondary cats installed were is the best place to put?? Dont think i like the smoke everytime i come to a stop. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
lostomni
Superminiature Blackhole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

It is annoying. This happened to me and others here also after going catless. After doing my research consensus was that your turbo seals have a small leak and being catless exposes the smoke. Others have changed their oil and it stopped, and some have found it to be a kinked oil supply line. Whatever the case this is very common on this car when going catless.

I just put my stock dps back on and the smoking stopped. I will keep the stockers on until I get a turbo upgrade.
      08-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
cimini121
Enlisted Member
Rep

but if i put secondary cats on will the smoking stop??
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

wow you guys have extremely similar user names

i never noticed smoke 2 years running catless but if there was a little I definitely wouldn't have noticed it...if after a good warmup you see considerable smoke, say a cloud passing by your windows then i'd say definitely get it checked out
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
cimini121
Enlisted Member
Rep

yes its a cloud of smoke when i stop depends on what way the wind is blowing. But 2 days ago when i just had catless dps and stock exhaust there was no smoke at all???
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

I had a similar issue. For you, if it's brand new exhaust, it is common to smoke a but for a week or too until all the components burn off the production oil off the pipes. My case was different. I took of my cats and noticed smoke at lights randomly AFTER car was fully warmed up. Turns out my front turbo seals were leaking. You can put your cats back on to mask the issue but the issue is still there. Seals are probably going.

Silly question though. The shop that installed the downpipes would have noticed oil on the turbo turbines! Did they not mention anything?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

After all of the posts on this forum and my own personal experience... I believe that the front turbo's on our cars are susceptible, if not prone, to leaking seals. I just replaced my turbos for this problem as well as terribly loud wastegates.

Too many people running fully divorced exhaust lines, after going with catless DP's, have smoking problems coming from the drivers side exhaust. The problem seems to be present especially with folks running catless DP's & AE exhausts. Vanguard exhausts do have an h-pipe but are similar in design.

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0