E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > How to sell cars privately?

02-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

How to sell cars privately?

As title says....

i'm trying to sell my gti privately, becuase the dealer is quoting me a pretty ridiculous price

my question is...how is it done basically?

anything i need to be aware of?

also, because i'm still financiing on the gti, is it possible if i change the name for the car to the buyer, and have him continue financing it? will he need to pay tax then?

this is my first time selling a car by myself, usually i just trade in with the dealer

so some help is appreciated..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: US 06 330xi

1. Tell all your friends that the car is for sale. This is the cheapest form of advertising.
2. If #1 doesn't work, advertise it in Auto-trader, or someplace similar
3. Clean it very well, especially the interior.
4. Take it to a garage to find out what it would cost for a safety check, but don't get the certificate yet. The cert. is only good for 30 days, and you don't want to have to do the check twice. But once you know the $ involved, you can advertise the car safety check included.
5. You will probably get twice what the dealer offered for it.

good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I forgot a few thing.

You don't have to collect any tax, but the buyer will have to pay PST when he registers the car.

Don't take an ordinary cheque from anyone you don't know, and be suspicious of even certified cheques. Cash is best.

Do not give the buyer your plates. Insist he puts his own plates on the car.

Don't forget to cancel the insurance the moment the car is sold.

Make sure the bill of sale records the actual price. Writing a phoney price on the bill to lover the sales tax is being a party to defrauding the Govt, and you don't want to be involved if the buyer gets caught.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
I forgot a few thing.

You don't have to collect any tax, but the buyer will have to pay PST when he registers the car.

Don't take an ordinary cheque from anyone you don't know, and be suspicious of even certified cheques. Cash is best.

Do not give the buyer your plates. Insist he puts his own plates on the car.

Don't forget to cancel the insurance the moment the car is sold.

Make sure the bill of sale records the actual price. Writing a phoney price on the bill to lover the sales tax is being a party to defrauding the Govt, and you don't want to be involved if the buyer gets caught.
where do i get these documents to sign or whatever?

and does my "finance-takeover" plan work?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
where do i get these documents to sign or whatever?

Just sign the change part of your ownership document, and write out a bill of sale, for you both to sign.

and does my "finance-takeover" plan work?
You would have to talk to the finance company about that. They would probably want to approve the buyer
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
sandecker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB M3 Ultimate DCT

Go to vehicle licensing office and get the 'Used Vehicle Information Package' - it has bill of sale info, vehicle registration history and tells you what you need to know - I think it costs $20 - you have to provide it for the buyer anyway. You may also have to do an emissions test if not done within 1-year.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
Zeeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335 SG

Craigslist is really effective. http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/car/

I sold my car last summer and and used buy&sell and craigslist, and found that most of the people who called me came through craigslist.

Another tip is to make sure you get a certified cheque from the seller
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
323d
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post

I sold my car last summer and and used buy&sell and craigslist, and found that most of the people who called me came through craigslist.

One thing i suggest when you sell privately, make a document where the you, the owner, and the buyer will have to write down the final agreement on price, the number of hours to back out on the sale, and the condition of the car.. Oh, and get the buyer to put at least a 10% deposit on the car !

mine is something like this....

On (date) (time), the (owner's name) and (the buyers name) has agreed on the price of (total car price) for the (vehicle year, model, series) .. The buyer must place an (deposit amount *best to use cash) within the next 24 hours in order to purchase this vehicle. Both the owner and buyer have agreed on the condition of the car and history report (usual i write down anything that is wrong with the car that the buyer has accepted ... eg. scratch on bumper).

(buyer signature, driver license number, and contact number) (owners name and number)

This way, it will allow you to have a smooth transaction, and all less chance of teh buyer backing out last minute.
      03-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
Zeeman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323d View Post
One thing i suggest when you sell privately, make a document where the you, the owner, and the buyer will have to write down the final agreement on price, the number of hours to back out on the sale, and the condition of the car.. Oh, and get the buyer to put at least a 10% deposit on the car !

mine is something like this....

On (date) (time), the (owner's name) and (the buyers name) has agreed on the price of (total car price) for the (vehicle year, model, series) .. The buyer must place an (deposit amount *best to use cash) within the next 24 hours in order to purchase this vehicle. Both the owner and buyer have agreed on the condition of the car and history report (usual i write down anything that is wrong with the car that the buyer has accepted ... eg. scratch on bumper).

(buyer signature, driver license number, and contact number) (owners name and number)

This way, it will allow you to have a smooth transaction, and all less chance of teh buyer backing out last minute.
Have you actually done this? If I was a buyer, I would never give a seller a deposit and I don't think there are a lot of people out there that would be willing to do this either.

My recommendation is once you accept an offer from a buyer, have the person meet you at an ICBC broker with a certified cheque and complete the transfer of ownership there.

Here's a link to the section of ICBC's website with tips on selling your car:

http://www.icbc.com/buy_car/
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
323d
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

yes i have, most of the time, the buyer will say "I'm 100% interested in the car, just give me a day so i can talk with the family and get my money".. So will tell them " i have lots of offers already, and if you are that interested, place 100 dollar as a deposit , so i will hold the car for you".. I have done this 2 times and both buyers have agreed.
      03-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #11
Zeeman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323d View Post
yes i have, most of the time, the buyer will say "I'm 100% interested in the car, just give me a day so i can talk with the family and get my money".. So will tell them " i have lots of offers already, and if you are that interested, place 100 dollar as a deposit , so i will hold the car for you".. I have done this 2 times and both buyers have agreed.
Well now you're talking about $100 deposit...but in your previous post you said "Oh, and get the buyer to put at least a 10% deposit on the car !"

$100 is probably doable, but a 10% deposit on a $20K car is $2,000....that's a big difference and I really doubt anyone is going to hand a seller a $2,000 deposit
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 02:34 AM   #12
323d
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

sorry, that was just an example.. for example, the last car, was my civic , and it was priced at 7k, so i asked teh buyer for 500 dollar around.

doesnt have to be exactly 10% , just a amount that will make sure the buyer will pay .
      03-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #13
SooBoy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

Garage List
2007 E93 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeman View Post

Used craigslist to sell my RV last summer. A great site. Kijiji works too. http://www.kijiji.ca

Good Luck with the sale!
      03-07-2008, 04:48 AM   #14
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

okay...i have a confirmed buyer now.....

what's my next step?

get the 'Used Vehicle Information Package' and what?

should i meet the buyer in my dealer's financing office and do the transaction there? and once he pays me in cash, i'll pay the dealer for the rest of the car and then give the buyer the keys?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #15
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy View Post
okay...i have a confirmed buyer now.....

what's my next step?

get the 'Used Vehicle Information Package' and what?

should i meet the buyer in my dealer's financing office and do the transaction there? and once he pays me in cash, i'll pay the dealer for the rest of the car and then give the buyer the keys?
You can meet the buyer anywhere, no need to do it in the dealers office. Once he gives you the cash, sign the ownership transfer part of the ownership slip, write out and sign a bill of sale that shows the true price, remove your plates from the car and give the buyer the keys. You can then use the cash for anything you want, like impressing your girlfriend, or as part payment on a new BMW!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #16
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
You can meet the buyer anywhere, no need to do it in the dealers office. Once he gives you the cash, sign the ownership transfer part of the ownership slip, write out and sign a bill of sale that shows the true price, remove your plates from the car and give the buyer the keys. You can then use the cash for anything you want, like impressing your girlfriend, or as part payment on a new BMW!!
but i still haven't pay out the car yet, because i'm still financing it...

my plan was to use his money to pay off the car, so i can actually sell it...

so would it be better if i meet him in the dealer's office and do the transaction there?, as he hands me the money, i can immediatley pay for the rest of the car...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #17
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

hey chienseguy...are u in vancouver? if yes i might have a frd that is interested in a white GTI
would u mind posting ur car info what year mileage
accident?
and how much u looking for...thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 01:29 AM   #18
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

ooops u got a buyer=)
GL
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #19
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit523 View Post
hey chienseguy...are u in vancouver? if yes i might have a frd that is interested in a white GTI
would u mind posting ur car info what year mileage
accident?
and how much u looking for...thanks
i THOUGHT he was confirmed, he hasn't replied me for 2 days already....lol...so i might as well let your friend know a little about my car...

vancouver, 15000km, 07 GTI, 4 door, DSG, painted bumpers and side skirts, and i even change out that silly RC antenna, OZ racing 18s with bridgestone potenzas (2-3 months old, but optional)

no accident, and i'm looking for 29500 (without the OZ, i can pick it on again with 1200)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 07:58 PM   #20
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

okay i will let her know...and reply u at monday or tuesday....
thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #21
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit523 View Post
okay i will let her know...and reply u at monday or tuesday....
thanks
cool PM me for pix
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #22
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep

okay....that buyer wants to check my VIN# for the car, is it fine if i give that to him?
Appreciate 0