E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4/Mode 1 Downside?

06-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

JB4/Mode 1 Downside?

I'm not seeing any - despite searches of the posts on this forum. I have a 2011 335i sedan with manual transmission. I must confess that I am finding the thrust is a little less than what I like. I am interested in adding a JB4 w/o downpipe and running in Mode 1. Should I expect that the reliability and driveability of the car will be any less than stock? At the boost levels available with Mode 1, is there any need to replace the charge pipe, or is this just needed for more boost/methanol injection?

My view is that if I break something due to the exploitation of the tune, that it is my problem and I will pay for it. If other stuff happens, as we all know it does, BMW takes care of it. Still I wonder how other JB4 N55 cars are holding up, and I have not found that the forum members had anything negative to say.

My car will not be tracked at all and I see no reason to go beyond the Mode 1capabilities for my purpose, this being my daily driver. I did consider the PPK when I ordered my car, but my dealer advised against it. He said to wait for the Dinan offering for the N55. NOw that it is here, it does not seem like it delivers much performance for the money, and the replacement for the BMW warranty does not seem to be all roses either. Is there any other solution I should be looking at?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
jb4 map 1 you will be totally fine..
      06-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

so if you blow up your engine you will pay for it? Come on man, you are going to delete your codes and take out the Jb4 and take it to the stealership with a look of disblief and have them fix it for you.. :-) with that said, I have jb4 and even map 2 you will be fine. I need map 7 every day all day to feel any power that makes me go wow.

Coming soon to the garage: 2014 M3 Maybe M5
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
so if you blow up your engine you will pay for it? Come on man, you are going to delete your codes and take out the Jb4 and take it to the stealership with a look of disblief and have them fix it for you.. :-) with that said, I have jb4 and even map 2 you will be fine. I need map 7 every day all day to feel any power that makes me go wow.
you should feel my car.. It's insane right now
      06-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
SRT14PimPin07
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: X5

You'll be good with Map 1. It won't change your everyday driving. Only when you step on it, it will put a smile on your face. You can even put it on map 0 if you know you don't need it. Changing maps are super easy. Also if anything goes wrong. You take it out and take it in to service with a dumb look on your face like "I don't know what happened?"
      06-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Sam335ix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyim1988 View Post
I have an x drive, I also will have to try out procede again since I think I figuered out what my previous issues were.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyim1988 View Post
I have an x drive, I also will have to try out procede again since I think I figuered out what my previous issues were.
Yah I'm really happy with my car right now
      06-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Kevin M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Seriously! You ain't going to break BMW by allowing them to replace an engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz06 View Post
I'm not seeing any - despite searches of the posts on this forum. I have a 2011 335i sedan with manual transmission. I must confess that I am finding the thrust is a little less than what I like. I am interested in adding a JB4 w/o downpipe and running in Mode 1. Should I expect that the reliability and driveability of the car will be any less than stock? At the boost levels available with Mode 1, is there any need to replace the charge pipe, or is this just needed for more boost/methanol injection?

My view is that if I break something due to the exploitation of the tune, that it is my problem and I will pay for it. If other stuff happens, as we all know it does, BMW takes care of it. Still I wonder how other JB4 N55 cars are holding up, and I have not found that the forum members had anything negative to say.

My car will not be tracked at all and I see no reason to go beyond the Mode 1capabilities for my purpose, this being my daily driver. I did consider the PPK when I ordered my car, but my dealer advised against it. He said to wait for the Dinan offering for the N55. NOw that it is here, it does not seem like it delivers much performance for the money, and the replacement for the BMW warranty does not seem to be all roses either. Is there any other solution I should be looking at?
There has been many hundred JB4 (N55s) sold in the last few months and feedback has been great. Haven't really heard of any issues, even the dreaded fuel pump and misfire issue from the N54 see not to be presenting themselves on the N55.

On the N54 there are thousands of JB4s out and some have put over 100,000 miles on their cars and everything is holding up well, so I wouldn't worry too much

As for the Charge pipe it has cracked on several stock cars so its a toss up. A lot of guys are changing them out prematurely and I make sure to have a few in stock at all times for the emergency situations.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2022 M4  [0.00]
Ive had the jb4 for over 6000 miles an had no problems. Switched over to the procede as a gift from friend And it works for me because of not needing a dme update. I'm still a terry/ bms guy at heart. All my supporting mods are bms stuff
      06-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sam: Ruining it for the rest of us

Quote:
Sam,
Just because that's what you would do, don't assume the same about me. Take this as an example. I wanted to run on Nordschleife. After considering going the regular rental route, as some do - to be sure, I bought my car as a European delivery. I spent two weeks and 1500 miles breaking MY BMW 335i sedan in gently on the autobahn prior to running it flat out on Nordschleife. I used 100% of the capacity of the car on the track without guilt, as I knew that I would be responsible for the tire wear, the brake wear, and any risk while on track.

What happens to the cost of the warrantied engines that are damaged when you go into the stealership with your look of disbelief? It all shows up in increased prices. People who do not take responsibility for their actions just hurt things for the rest of us.

Man up.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Sam335ix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redz06 View Post
Sam,
Just because that's what you would do, don't assume the same about me. Take this as an example. I wanted to run on Nordschleife. After considering going the regular rental route, as some do - to be sure, I bought my car as a European delivery. I spent two weeks and 1500 miles breaking MY BMW 335i sedan in gently on the autobahn prior to running it flat out on Nordschleife. I used 100% of the capacity of the car on the track without guilt, as I knew that I would be responsible for the tire wear, the brake wear, and any risk while on track.

What happens to the cost of the warrantied engines that are damaged when you go into the stealership with your look of disbelief? It all shows up in increased prices. People who do not take responsibility for their actions just hurt things for the rest of us.

Man up.
I want to sell you many things, call me and for you they will be 20 percent off
I am proud of you for being an honest upfront dude, you are their favorite client until you turn your back and dealers will jack up prices anyway because most of them are crooks. Give up your money all day buddy because you man up, keep it real big guy. The prices don't go up because of a tuned blown engine, they go up due to greed and revenue needs. BMW can't simply increase the prices due to competition just like any business.

Good luck with jb4 and call your dealer today and report that you have a tune installed and have them void your warranty, man up redz.

Last edited by Sam335ix; 06-04-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think you should stay with PPK or DINAN since you want to be a man. JB4 will void ur warranty. Since you are an honest guy so they will denied every warranty work on your car though. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
redz06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Ruining it for the rest of us

Quote:
I want to sell you many things, call me and for you they will be 20 percent off
I am proud of you for being an honest upfront dude, you are their favorite client until you turn your back and dealers will jack up prices anyway because most of them are crooks. Give up your money all day buddy because you man up, keep it real big guy. The prices don't go up because of a tuned blown engine, they go up due to greed and revenue needs. BMW can't simply increase the prices due to competition just like any business.

Good luck with jb4 and call your dealer today and report that you have a tune installed and have them void your warranty, man up redz.
Sam,
I am not going to disagree with your statement about most (BMW) dealers being crooks. I am concerned about your suggestion to change the engine mapping by programming or by an add-on tune and then have the dealer believe it is warranty work - that does increase the cost for BMW to do business. If you don't think BMW's warranty cost is eventually passed on to the consumer, you need to think some more.

Fly,
I am a man. There is no want about it. If I didn't think I could face the music and take care of a broken engine, PPK would be the way to go. Dinan is not an option as it does void parts of the BMW warranty and I am not up for driving or getting towed to a Dinan dealer 4 x as far away. Last dyno information I saw on the Dinan programming for the N55 showed the results to be far less thatn the advertising anyway, making them very expensive in relation to real, measurable results.
Appreciate 0