E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Alpine HID Angel Eyes

07-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
BMW_ANTHONY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Alpine HID Angel Eyes

Hi, i was just curious before spending $150+ for these angel eyes, do they work on 2006 e90 BMW 3 series??? I read they work with e92 pre 07, and e90 after 09, so i cant get a perfect match with my year and model? Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Well, I don't have the answer to your specific question, but I can relate my experience with the Alpine HID AE's on my 09' E92 (one of MANY AE options that I have tried over the years):

Install was rather EZ
  • At 1st, DS AE would not lite up-ended up he had to send me an additional 2nd Ground wire for the DS ballast to get it to work (standard kit at that time only had (1) main Ground-don't know if they remedied this)
  • Shortly thereafter, the PS went out Was determined I needed a new ballast. After months & repeated requests for new ballast with no replacement (he stated there was a new design that had not been received yet) - I just returned the kit for refund.

Alex is a great guy - I just didn't have much luck with his kit - maybe those problems have been resolved, IDK...

As to the look of the kit:

They were very bright, in fact TOO bright. Looked good in the daylight, but at nite the rings were no longer as (2) distinct rings, but a very bright 'blob' of lite as they blended in with the headlights - not the look I was after...

My AE options that I tried in order:
  • GPThunder VII Halogen Bulbs - no better than stock light output, no better distribution, only color change
  • Weisslicht LED (with the (2) wings) - brighter than stock but light distribution no better despite claims to the opposite due to the 'wing' design
  • Alpine HID - see above
  • LUX H8 LED - best so far, very bright, distinct rings, light distribution best so far. Install was a real bitch, (1) burnt out after 1-1/2 yr & was not under warranty
  • DTEC H8 V7 LED - currently what I am running. Slightly better than even LUX H8 as far as brightness & distribution. HUGE bitch to install
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
dinanm3atl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP 70 Olds 442 F31 Diesel

Thanks for that info. Surprised HID into that location is an option.
Appreciate 0