E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cars.com Scam?

05-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
frozendevl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35ix

Cars.com Scam?

So the other day I ran into a great deal (raised first flag) for this
car. When I called the number provided i got no answer and what seemed to be a fax dial tone at the end.
The last thing that raised the flag was this
Quote:
Car is located in Arlington, VA where we're living, currently we're working out of state . After a bad experience that we had 2 weeks ago we decided to use an escrow company involved into our sale . Buyer will pay the escrow company and the escrow company will held the buyer's funds until buyer will confirm that he picked up the purchased vehicle and the title was transferred under his name the escrow company will forward the funds to the seller. XXX can help with shipping also if you need. Let us know if this kind of deal will be fine for you, if so , please include your number and my husband will call you to discuss more and better about the deal.
Now to me it sounded believable until they mentioned an escrow service. I've never bought a car from a private party, let alone from out of state, but this sounds fishy and pretty much like a scam to me. So I would like some input fellow members here
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
JDLM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

I had a friend use an escrow service and he said he sounded shady and it all worked out in the end
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Seems like a scam to me. If you think it may not be, you can always demand to use the escrow company of your choice and see if they are still interested in a deal. If it is a scam, they will insist on using the one they've found.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Escrow companies are used all the time in the transfer of sale in the exotic car world.
      05-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

email them and tell them you have a friend in the area that is willing to help you check it out. if they back out of that then you know its fake
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
Escrow companies are used all the time in the transfer of sale in the exotic car world.
why is that? i'm curious

M-Sport | BMW Performance | Beige l Piano Black l Sport l Premium l Heated l Navi | Steptronic l Comfort Access l Logic7 l iPod & USB |
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendevl View Post
So the other day I ran into a great deal (raised first flag) for this car. When I called the number provided i got no answer and what seemed to be a fax dial tone at the end.
The last thing that raised the flag was this

Now to me it sounded believable until they mentioned an escrow service. I've never bought a car from a private party, let alone from out of state, but this sounds fishy and pretty much like a scam to me. So I would like some input fellow members here
The ad does not sound private party, nor does the "Let us know if this kind of deal will be fine for you, if so , please include your number and my husband will call you to discuss more and better about the deal" match the language used in the ad.

The "escrow service" will turn out to be a scam and your money will be gone. Tell them that you'll ask a friend to look at the car and arrange a time - I'll be glad to do it if you like - but I can guarantee you that the car doesn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
why is that? i'm curious

Legitimate escrow companies are used all the time when dealing with high value items. The problem is that the "escrow companies" that scammers use are scams themselves and are fronts for the scammers. The often have serious sounding names that sound nearly like a real company - but aren't.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
frozendevl
Private
Rep

I went with blacknbean and cb1111's idea of asking the seller when a friend can come by to check the car out. Will keep you guys posted when I receive a response.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Usually they don't put Escrow in the ad anymore.
That's what they tell you once you contact them...it could be legit but beware!!!
Didn't look at the ad but check everything up very carefully if you go ahead with this.

Before internet there weren't a lot of scammers, now it's a PITA to sell a car with all new found friends who will buy the car unseen.
Buying a car with a really good price usually makes me think scam or something dodgy.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
frozendevl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowSwede View Post
Usually they don't put Escrow in the ad anymore.
That's what they tell you once you contact them...it could be legit but beware!!!
Didn't look at the ad but check everything up very carefully if you go ahead with this.

Before internet there weren't a lot of scammers, now it's a PITA to sell a car with all new found friends who will buy the car unseen.
Buying a car with a really good price usually makes me think scam or something dodgy.
I would be flying out there to check the car before buying (assuming it exists and this isn't a scam.) I couldn't justify such a purchase without actually seeing the car and being reassured that it works and comes as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post
Seems like a scam to me. If you think it may not be, you can always demand to use the escrow company of your choice and see if they are still interested in a deal. If it is a scam, they will insist on using the one they've found.
This is pretty good advice. I've used escrow.com before on other big purchases. If your buddy checks the car out and the goods are there, insist on naming the escrow service. Cars are sold through escrow all the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
email them and tell them you have a friend in the area that is willing to help you check it out. if they back out of that then you know its fake
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherbln View Post

That.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
frozendevl
Private
Rep

Just recieved this, deep down inside I knew it was a scam, but it was so tempting
Quote:
We're working out of state, we're in Phoenix, AZ . Until the third party will confirm that they received the funds XXXX can not be back in Arlington. I hope you understand or please include your number and XXXX will call you to discuss better Thanks
Well thanks for quick responses, done wasting my time with this one, let the search continue
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
well, I always say, if it doesn't feel right, then don't do it. If it is too good to be true, skip it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #16
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendevl View Post
Just recieved this, deep down inside I knew it was a scam, but it was so tempting

Well thanks for quick responses, done wasting my time with this one, let the search continue
Please report this to cars.com. You might save someone lots of money.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
frozendevl
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Please report this to cars.com. You might save someone lots of money.
Thanks, I did.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

I purchased my 1st new BMW (2000 323i) at cars.com. I noticed a computer glitch in their pricing and bought it at INVOICE. They fedexed a package with a t-shirt and contract. I executed same and returned it to them. They called me a week later and said if I noticed the mistake (they tried to trap me). I said "What mistake". He said never mind but it will take 3 months to build it. I said NO PROBLEM. I tracked it from Germany and I was on the lot to pick it up the moment it arrived at the dealership; some people didn't even know my car was on the lot. They got a check from Cars.com and I gave them my check and drove off. I was not charged ANYTHING by cars.com. Woo Hoo.

By the way, I thought cars.com went bankrupt?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #19
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

I saw that on the news not too long ago, there is a guy in federal prison here in MO selling $21 millions worth of cars that does not exist... beside the fact that this a hole get caught and in jail now, but looks how easy it can be to scam people looking for a good deal. not sure how he did it, but I can guess that its pretty similar to the ad we are talking about here
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
I purchased my 1st new BMW (2000 323i) at cars.com. I noticed a computer glitch in their pricing and bought it at INVOICE. They fedexed a package with a t-shirt and contract. I executed same and returned it to them. They called me a week later and said if I noticed the mistake (they tried to trap me). I said "What mistake". He said never mind but it will take 3 months to build it. I said NO PROBLEM. I tracked it from Germany and I was on the lot to pick it up the moment it arrived at the dealership; some people didn't even know my car was on the lot. They got a check from Cars.com and I gave them my check and drove off. I was not charged ANYTHING by cars.com. Woo Hoo.

By the way, I thought cars.com went bankrupt?
I think you're thinking of carsdirect.com