E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Track Result FBO car

Closed Thread

04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #67
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
You're not going to find an intercooler that cools better than stock with .4-.8 pressure loss across the core unless you're dramatically changing the dimensions of the intercooler. That low of a pressure drop would indicate that they're running a straight through fin pack about half the width of the existing system.

I've seen what vendors claim their pressure loss is and I've seen actual test results that clearly refute their claims. I also have no intention of turning this into a vendor war, but the OP's second intercooler option has the same pressure loss as our 5".

Either way, I'll personally be doing a comparison of the OP's intercooler vs an off the shelf 5" vs our 7" as well as our 7" with revised fin pack. If anyone in the area has a Helix/AMS/ETS or Wagner intercooler that they wouldn't mind letting me borrow I'd be more than happy to test them.
Hopefully you will be able to work something out with the OP based on "mutual benefits" of him getting the 5" swapped out for the 7" with your revised fin pack so we can write a sound review on it. He does track and drag with many of us at PBIR

Our community here is mixed with all types of FMIC so it will have lots of real time numbers to compare with others.

We will just leave it to that.....

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #68
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
JoshBoody, on Helix's main site it states the pressure drop of their intercooler which is .5psi . Specs come from the manufacture as I stated previously.
aww, I see this but a little difficult to believe. If this is the case they should showcase the testing details putting Helix in no question as the best IC. I've tested both AMS and Helix personally and concluded that Helix has higher pressure drop... not the most scientific testing, but enough evidence IMO to conclude simply which has higher pressure differential. If we were talking factions of a psi, I don't think I would have reached a conclusion.

This being said, I do believe Helix is the best IC due to the superior IAT suppression... nothing comes close that I have seen.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread