E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Power steering fluid change?

03-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #45
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburger View Post
I changed mine at 25 k (fluid only, using a oral syringe instead of turkey baster).
It was really dirty as u can see in photo. I changed because I thought there was noise coming from the power steering and the serpentine belt. (Unrelated: Turns out it is a normal sound from alternator with 328 design)

There is a school of thought that almost as soon as you replace the fluid it will quickly get dirty.

I might check on the fluid soon, now at 29 k. If its just as dirty as it was at 25 k, I might agree with this school of thought and do it only for paranoid reasons every 30 k, but not worry if it doesn't get done.

I have the same washer machine!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #46
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuickR1 View Post
Excellent advice
Honestly to turkey baste the fluid out of the reservoir and repeat for a few days dumping a few liters in is such a waste of time and money. Remove a bolt, replace a washer and do it one time and it will be much cleaner than doing it over the course of a few days
I haven't looked at where the power steering fluid but I was wondering how messy is this procedure? Some people were saying they took out the air filter and belt so when you crack open the banjo bolt it wouldn't get on the belt and other parts. Seems like the banjo bolt is not facing downward so I'm guessing it would spill onto whatever's on the opposite side. If so I think the turkey baster method is cleaner but it does require more fluid and Pentosin isn't that cheap. It cost $49 a liter after taxes here in Canada. It's even more expensive at NAPA but just by a few bucks. I should check how much it is at the dealer.

Last edited by Zero_09; 07-09-2013 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #47
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
I haven't looked at where the power steering fluid but I was wondering how messy is this procedure? Some people were saying they took out the air filter and belt so when you crack open the banjo bolt it wouldn't get on the belt and other parts. Seems like the banjo bolt is not facing downward so I'm guessing it would spill onto whatever's on the opposite side. If so I think the turkey baster method is cleaner but it does require more fluid and Pentosin isn't that cheap. It cost $49 a liter after taxes here in Canada. It's even more expensive at NAPA but just by a few bucks. I should check how much it is at the dealer.
Yes, CHF-11S is expensive. I think it's around $20/L from various amazon sources if you have a way of getting a bottle up from the US.

I just did this about a week ago, finally. None of my car's previous owners had ever bothered to change the steering fluid so I wanted to do it "right", and by wanting to do it "right" meant it was messy, so I kept putting it off.

I have a 328i, so no turbo stuff in the way. With the belly pan off I worked on the banjo bolts at the rack, not at the pump. The belt isn't anywhere in the vicinity of this location. It drizzled all over the front subframe and made a mess, and I just cleaned it up. Use a catch container with a large opening and put cardboard down under the car. I also removed the set screw which attached the "trombone loop" of tubing to the subframe so it was easier to work with the banjo bolts.

If you have maintained your PS system well, or once you've done one comprehensive change you shouldn't have to do the banjo bolt method ever again. Just use a turkey baster in the reservoir every oil change or two and you'll be all set.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #48
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Yes, CHF-11S is expensive. I think it's around $20/L from various amazon sources if you have a way of getting a bottle up from the US.

I just did this about a week ago, finally. None of my car's previous owners had ever bothered to change the steering fluid so I wanted to do it "right", and by wanting to do it "right" meant it was messy, so I kept putting it off.

I have a 328i, so no turbo stuff in the way. With the belly pan off I worked on the banjo bolts at the rack, not at the pump. The belt isn't anywhere in the vicinity of this location. It drizzled all over the front subframe and made a mess, and I just cleaned it up. Use a catch container with a large opening and put cardboard down under the car. I also removed the set screw which attached the "trombone loop" of tubing to the subframe so it was easier to work with the banjo bolts.

If you have maintained your PS system well, or once you've done one comprehensive change you shouldn't have to do the banjo bolt method ever again. Just use a turkey baster in the reservoir every oil change or two and you'll be all set.
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I've always use a large piece of cardboard when I do any kind of fluid change but I somehow still manage to spill some on the driveway lol.

I've already picked up a bottle from Tischer BMW the last time I was there picking up my rims. It cost me $29 after taxes, exchange rate, and shipping.
It isn't bad for me actually. It's not something you do often so it's well worth it to do it. I'm going to have to check out Maranello BMW. I think they have it for around $25-35 with the maxbimmer discount.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #49
biscut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

Great thread for a new to BMW guy like me!

I have a cheap suction pump I use to drain PWR steering and brake fluid from the res. I do it each oil change. Never had a PWR steering issue and I usually end up over 200k with my vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #50
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi_bimmer View Post
Romeo, how many miles on your car? The filter is integrated in the reservoir, so if you have over 100K miles or so and have never changed the fluid, you might consider replacing the reservoir just so you get a new filter in there.

There is a DIY video on BavAuto that shows how to do it (older BMW but same procedure)

http://youtu.be/T4Gp1vNgOLc
Found this pic off an e36 site. Not sure if it's similar for e90's, but wouldn't doubt it. Not like they were going to use a paper element here.

If it is something like this, pretty sure it can be cleaned with contact cleaner, compressed air, put parts cleaner in there and shake it around, clean ch11s and sloosh it around (not to the point the screen breaks off the housing of course)...whatever. Doubt it actually does much filtering other than keeping large contaminants out. It's just a meshed screen. Only reason to replace is if it is torn or something is physically wrong. Not paying $35 before shipping if it's not needed and I don't think it is. I'll stick a borescope in there and visually check it out. My car has 115k miles on it and I doubt the fluid has ever been changed, so if these filters go bad, sure mine is a prime candidate,

And why can't we just remove the reservoir/screen and then suction out the power steering fluid via one of the lines like we do brakes? Not sure how that'll work, but I'll give it a try. Just read biscuit's post above mine, thumbs up to him.

Last edited by Casca; 10-26-2013 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #51
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G30 M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW 530I M Sport   [0.00]
  [10.00]
does the dealer sell the PS fluid as well and if so how much more is it
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #52
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlue View Post
It's generally reasonable
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #53
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Napa or O'Reillies has it in my area for @$20.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #54
g9sBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
There is a very simple way to do this exchange. Get the Pentosin, oh by the way this is synthetic not dino ATF, and crack the banjo bolt loose on the rack with a pan under it. It helps to have the front wheels off the ground. Ignition switch in so you can turn the rack with no power, engine not running. That will purge the ATF out of the rack to include the reservoir.
Once it is empty tighten the banjo bolt and refill the resevoir, turn the rack again and refill until the reservoir doesn't go down.
I don't know if the 1L can will be enough but this is the easiest way to do this and empties the rack out. I have to do this to my ride with 54K miles when I get it down to Florida here in a few weeks...
Hi fun2drive,

Is #5 the bolt in question for easy drain?

[2007 328i|Black Sapphire|Terra Leather|6 MT|Xenon headlights|BMW Alarm|Clear Bra|Stainless Steel Pedal Pads|Black Line Tails|MTEC V3.0 Angel Eyes|HUPER OPTIK 30 Ceramic TINT|GPThunder Fogs|LED License Plate mod|Sport Shocks/Springs upgrade|ZHP Shift Knob|//M Dead Pedal|Matte Black Grill|Aluminum Strut Bar|Cyba Air Scoops|Rear Fog Switch|Perforated Mtech Wheel|Miro 935s|Hankook v12 evo Tires|BMW SSK]| BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #55
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
Got a liter from Napa, $21.99 extracted all of what was in the reservoir and refilled it. will do this again soon till I use up the rest of the liter.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #56
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Got a liter from Napa, $21.99 extracted all of what was in the reservoir and refilled it. will do this again soon till I use up the rest of the liter.
I was going to do this but my fluid looks clear still. My serv records show my fuids were change about 50k miles ago. Although my steering wheels feels a bit heavier maybe because the fluid is a bit low? ill find out. ill have dealership refill on my next oil change service.

I do get a slight vibration on my steering wheel when I turn and car is not moving.. I hope is only because fluid is a bit low...

Anyone else having this symptom?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #57
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo
Quote:
I was going to do this but my fluid looks clear still. My serv records show my fuids were change about 50k miles ago. Although my steering wheels feels a bit heavier maybe because the fluid is a bit low? ill find out. ill have dealership refill on my next oil change service.

I do get a slight vibration on my steering wheel when I turn and car is not moving.. I hope is only because fluid is a bit low...

could be just due to the friction when turning the tires and not moving I wouldn't worry if it doesn't do it when moving. plus I would not recommend doing that to often add it creates s bald spot on the tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #58
LittleBlue
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo
Quote:

could be just due to the friction when turning the tires and not moving I wouldn't worry if it doesn't do it when moving. plus I would not recommend doing that to often add it creates s bald spot on the tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #59
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Like a lot of people, I do the old turkey baster at every oil change, I dont get it all out, but does the job