E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Blown Head Gasket? How Bad?

03-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #45
Anthony199
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 06 Sparkling Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony199 View Post
This one..
Got it. Just purchase one from pelican parts for about 110$. Will have to remove intake manifold now, maybe extra 30 min to an hour..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #46
Anthony199
Private First Class
Rep

Thumbs up Update

So I installed the new oil filter housing gasket, it was pretty bad.

I also changed my valve cover gasket after breaking the breather hose in the back of the valve cover. The breather hose was impossible to replace, since I couldn't get the manifold out. There was another hose (the one that goes to the oil pan) that I couldn't pry off and I ended up paying 590$ for a new hose and labor... (rip off but it's the best store in the city).

My valve cover is magnesium, and my valve cover gasket is metal. It didn't feel bad when I replaced it. There wasn't (almost) any oil dripping out from the edges. Replaced all screws and torqued to spec.

After that, I had a small rattling sound coming from the engine and my oil was low (dash notification), so I replaced it with 0W-40 Castrol (European Formula) and it's smoother and quieter.

So to get back to my original problem, I think I don't have a major oil leak anymore, however the mechanic suggested an oil pan gasket replacement. Also, I have some pics of my old engine oil. It wasn't getting mixed with any coolant, and my coolant looked blue, not brown, when I replaced the oil filter housing gasket. Couple days ago, its was cold (less than 40 degree outside), and there was some condensation coming out from the exhaust :/
I thought it's probably the weather, and today, it was around 55F, almost no smoke at all!

I think it was just the weather, and I'm almost sure my head gasket is fine. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #47
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

I really, seriously doubt your headgasket is blown - not with today's technology, construction and materials. You can drive 10-15 miles with a dead waterpump and nothing will happen on an N52 (I know because I've done it).

Even the "head bolt" failures on some motors wouldn't cause a blown gasket - because the bolts that fail aren't "head bolts" in the traditional sense - they are just for the timing case, which is part of the head rather than being separate as in the past.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #48
Anthony199
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I really, seriously doubt your headgasket is blown - not with today's technology, construction and materials.
You are right, I don't think my head gasket is blown. But why was my car producing way more condensation that almost any other car on the street? Most of the times tho, I see other e90s prducing the same amounts, but not every car does it.

Is there a reason why our cars, or mine, produces a lot of condensation in warmer temperatures (still cold, but not cold to a point where every vehicle is smoking)?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #49
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Do you drive mainly short distances?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 11:27 PM   #50
Anthony199
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do you drive mainly short distances?
Weekdays, 5 mins trips twice a day.
Friday night and Saturday night, Lyft driving for about 3-4 hours max. Highway and City driving. How does it matter tho?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #51
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Of you drive short trips, the moisture in your engine doesn't get to fully evaporate.

If your daily commute is only 5 minutes, that explains it - you are barely up to operating temp with your coolant and your oil definitely never gets there.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:07 AM   #52
Anthony199
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Of you drive short trips, the moisture in your engine doesn't get to fully evaporate.

If your daily commute is only 5 minutes, that explains it - you are barely up to operating temp with your coolant and your oil definitely never gets there.
Mm, that's weird, because even after hours of driving, I am still getting smoke. Maybe it's just the weather? I still don't know why that would be a reason when not all cars are smoking.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #53
Anthony199
Private First Class
Rep

Thumbs up Update

Its been about a month since I replaced the OFHG and VVC (+breather hose if you know the story from above).

So far, I am only getting condensation in colder weathers, and i think it is normal, since other cars are actually smoking too, and when it happens that I am driving behind another e90, I notice there is more smoke coming out from e90 and German cars compared to other brands. I don't know why.

No condensation in warm weather at all.

Also, I checked my coolant level, and it's on maximum even after a month. I noticed couple drops of oil (maybe like half a teaspoon worth of oil) on the coolant cap from inside, and the coolant was blue. I think couple drops of oil fell in the coolant section when I replaced the OFHG? Nothing to worry about right?
Appreciate 0