E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > What Can I Do for You?

04-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #89
abw335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92 6MT

Hi Zach,

My car has Opti-Coat pro applied, and is in need of some light claying. I plan to use Pinnacle Ultra Poly clay with ONR diluted as clay lube. I have a dark colored paint and was wondering if claying would mar the paint and if you could provide some tips to prevent it. Also, what is the recommended process of claying an Opti-Coated car before and after? I have read that OC typically does not need to be topped.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #90
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw335i View Post
Hi Zach,

My car has Opti-Coat pro applied, and is in need of some light claying. I plan to use Pinnacle Ultra Poly clay with ONR diluted as clay lube. I have a dark colored paint and was wondering if claying would mar the paint and if you could provide some tips to prevent it. Also, what is the recommended process of claying an Opti-Coated car before and after? I have read that OC typically does not need to be topped.
There is no guarantee that you will or will not mar the paint. Use enough lubrication and do not "scrub" the paint with the clay... simply glide the clay over the surface using light pressure... and you will likely be OK.

No coating technically needs to be topped, however if you wish to enhance hydrophobic properties and slickness, you can certainly apply a coating topper or quick detailer if you wish. Optimum has Optimum Car Wax and Opti-Seal that both fulfill this need nicely.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #91
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Zach,

can I use carpro essence as one step polish to remove swirls? and what polisher/pad combination I would need?
also, I would be doing both cars with cq uk coating after
I have 2009 BMW 335i with paint condition with light swirls, paint I would say 8/10

Last edited by SHEEDI; 05-04-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #92
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Zach,

can I use carpro essence as one step polish to remove swirls? and what polisher/pad combination I would need?
also, I would be doing both cars with cq uk coating after
I have 2009 BMW 335i with paint condition with light swirls, paint I would say 8/10
Yes, CarPro Essence is a unique product which polishes and helps to hide defects at the same time. It contains the same abrasives used in CarPro's Reflect polish, but also has durable resins that can fill in minor defects.

You might be thinking, what's the point of filling? Well, typically we recommend that you completely correct the paint and then use Essence as a very last polishing step only to enhance gloss and prep for coating, but if you have thin paint, or just want to preserve your clear coat, using Essence as a one-step to help do light correction while also doing a little filling will be a great option for you.

Product Review: CarPro Essence (Initial Impressions) by Zach McGovern

Essence can be used with any pad... it just depends on how much cut you need. If you only have light swirls, you will likely just use Essence with a polishing pad. My personal favorite foam pad to use with Essence is the Rupes Yellow Pad. If you need more cut, you can even use Essence with a microfiber finishing pad or microfiber cutting pad.

When using Essence, it is important you use it properly or else there is a chance it could still interfere with the coating if you do not do an Eraser wipe down after polishing.

When using a foam pad, do not prime your pad. Simply use 2-3 small dots of Essence (might not seem like enough, but it is). Work the product at a medium-high speed (speed 4-5) for 2-3 slow passes with medium pressure. This helps break down the product and activate the resins (due to heat). Finish with one pass at a lower speed (3-4) with very light pressure. There should be very little product residue on the panel, and it should wipe away very easily.

When using Essence with a microfiber pad, lightly prime the pad and work the product into the fibers, then apply 2-3 small dots of product for each section. Again work the product at a medium-high speed (speed 4-5) for 2-3 slow passes with medium pressure and then finish with pass at a lower speed (3-4) with very light pressure. There should again be very little residue and it should wipe away very easily.

If you have a lot of residue and it is difficult to wipe away, you are likely using too much product or not working the product long enough for it to break down. In this case, wipe the panel with Eraser or IPA afterwards before coating.

Let me know if you've got any questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.DetailPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #93
seamaster222
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I do have a question. What would be the best way to maintain a car with a xpel protection film and opticoated (the real opticoat). Both installed about 9 months ago.

I wonder if maybe using a nanoscrub would be ok.

I want to seal the car (on top of the opticoat), but want to clean the paint first.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #94
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamaster222 View Post
I do have a question. What would be the best way to maintain a car with a xpel protection film and opticoated (the real opticoat). Both installed about 9 months ago.

I wonder if maybe using a nanoscrub would be ok.

I want to seal the car (on top of the opticoat), but want to clean the paint first.
Your installer should have shared proper maintenance practices with you, but in the event that he/she did not, here is what you should be doing to maintain the vehicle.

First, and most importantly, is proper car washing. Using the 3 bucket wash method to hand wash your vehicle. I recommend washing your car at least once every 2 weeks. You can use a spray wax or coating topper after each wash, or as you prefer, to provide additional protection and gloss.
How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider

As far as additional cleaning & maintenance goes, coatings resist bonded contaminants considerably better than an uncoated vehicle, but you may still need to clay the car from time to time. I do not recommend using the nanoskin products for this as they are very likely to mar the paint. Instead, start with a chemical like Optimum FerreX Iron Remover to remove any bonded iron particles. If the car still needs to be clayed after this process, use a fine grade clay bar and clay lubricant to remove remaining bonded particles. If your vehicle has any water spots, you can also use Optimum Mineral Deposit Remover.

Now your coating should be completely clean. You can choose to apply a coating topper at this point if you prefer. Sticking with the Optimum Family, I would recommend Opti-Seal.

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #95
seamaster222
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:18 PM   #96
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Zach,

I have Dakota Grey Leather in my BMW E90, some part of driver seat leather was worn and I had to dye that part. By accident I applied dye to stitches, how do I remove dye off the stitches?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 07:02 AM   #97
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Zach,

I have Dakota Grey Leather in my BMW E90, some part of driver seat leather was worn and I had to dye that part. By accident I applied dye to stitches, how do I remove dye off the stitches?

Thanks
I would contact the dye manufacturer to see what chemical they recommend.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:51 AM   #98
raptor_f22
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport Auto

Hi Zach,

Another E90 member recommended I contact you. My original post requesting help is here, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19990634

Would appreciate any advise you could give me please? Perhaps the APC dried out?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #99
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_f22 View Post
Hi Zach,

Another E90 member recommended I contact you. My original post requesting help is here, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19990634

Would appreciate any advise you could give me please? Perhaps the APC dried out?

Many thanks
Will respond on your thread
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #100
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 2009

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
Rain and Sun

Hi Zach,

Your replies are awesome. thanks for all that you've done for the forum.

I live in Germany and here we have unpredictable weather and its making my detailing process a lot difficult. For instance, on a Saturday its sunny and i wash and polish and wax my car and make it shine like i need and park it in my garage the rest of the weekend.

On Monday at work when the car stays out in the company parking lot, there is usually some drizzle and immediately after that the sun comes out and dries the water on the car leaving rain spots. Its usually the water that beaded during the rain which causes the spots. Is there a quick way to get the shine back with minimal work?

I'm a hobby musician and Jam a lot during the weekend with my band and there is the Fiance' who needs time. I cannot find enough time every weekend to do the whole 3hr process of detailing to loose the work in just 30 minutes.

HELP!!
Attached Images

Last edited by kaputme; 06-02-2016 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #101
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Hey - thank you for the kind words.

I would highly recommend learning rinseless washing using Optimum No Rinse (or similar). Rinseless washing is the perfect way to remove light dirt and grime that has accumulated after some driving or being caught in a rain storm.

Check out this article...
Winter Washing with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) by Ivan Rajic

Let me know if you need anything else

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:14 AM   #102
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 2009

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Hey - thank you for the kind words.

I would highly recommend learning rinseless washing using Optimum No Rinse (or similar). Rinseless washing is the perfect way to remove light dirt and grime that has accumulated after some driving or being caught in a rain storm.

Check out this article...
Winter Washing with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) by Ivan Rajic

Let me know if you need anything else

-Zach
Thanks for the reply..

Do you mean this??
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Optimum-No-Ri...25.m3641.l6368

Could you suggest me more products for a no rinse wash, as i Live in Germany its not that easy to get everything for affordable prices.

thanks again

Last edited by kaputme; 06-03-2016 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #103
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

That is Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax... it contains wax, while the product that I linked is called Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine, and contains no wax. Either one will do the trick.

If Meguiar's products are easily available, their rinseless wash is Meguiar's D114.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #104
Rustic_potato
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Zach,
I am planning to try vinyl wrapping my car, any recommended procedures that I should do before wrapping it?

Also, if there is a bunch of scratches at the same spot, is there a way i could level it before wrapping?

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #105
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh_335i View Post
Zach,
I am planning to try vinyl wrapping my car, any recommended procedures that I should do before wrapping it?

Also, if there is a bunch of scratches at the same spot, is there a way i could level it before wrapping?

Thanks!
Just make sure it is clean... I am no wrap expert, but I don't see why leveling scratches before wrapping would be required. The vinyl should be thick enough to cover up scratches.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #106
abw335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e92 6MT

Hi Zach,
Is it possible to polish out light swirls/marring on top of opti coat without removing the coating?

I took it to a reputable detailer once and they said that it wasn't possible and that polishing will remove the opti coat and I will need to reapply.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 12:38 AM   #107
emapway
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Guys specially who applied opticoat, do you still apply wax or sealant on top of it?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 09:08 AM   #108
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw335i View Post
Hi Zach,
Is it possible to polish out light swirls/marring on top of opti coat without removing the coating?

I took it to a reputable detailer once and they said that it wasn't possible and that polishing will remove the opti coat and I will need to reapply.

Thanks.
There is no way to know for sure. Optimum claims that their coating provides 1-2 microns of total thickness once it has cured. A light polish could remove this much material, or it could not. Due to the unknown, I have always recommended NOT polishing on top of a coating unless your intention is to remove it or if you are planning on reapplying a new layer afterwards. We recommend our customers come see us every 2-5 years depending on vehicle use and maintenance habits for light polishing and coating reapplication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emapway View Post
Guys specially who applied opticoat, do you still apply wax or sealant on top of it?
Instead of a wax, I would highly recommend something like Optimum Opti-Seal for added protection on top of your Opti-Coat.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #109
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Zach,

Thanks for all the help on this thread. Would you recommend using a duster to remove light pollen? Here in MD the pollen seems like an epidemic and just starts coating the car seemingly minutes after a wash. If its a bad idea I understand but hoping for a simple solution to this problem. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #110
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

I always tell my customers to remember this.... dust may look bad temporarily, but swirls look bad permanently!

I personally don't recommend dusters or even quick detailers for removing dust/pollen build up. I would recommend rinseless washing with Optimum No Rinse every couple of days if you must as I feel the rinseless washing provides far more lubrication than quick detailers or especially dry dusting.

Call me paranoid... but better safe than sorry

-Zach
Appreciate 0