E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > My $0.02 Steering Angle Sensor Fix

04-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #133
leonrojobmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Another success story. Thank you so much. I cleaned the optical disc and the sensor on both sides and the optical led and cover with 70% isopropyl alcohol. Put it back in the car. Turned the steering wheel from left to right. Went for a drive, and after 20 feet all lights are off. There was a definite haze as you can see in the picture
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #134
vadimlitv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335xi

AND ANOTHER ONE! thank you so much!. Works like a charm. Just cleaned the disc and put back together. All good now.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #135
Sypher17
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 e90 330i

Thumbs up cleaning the sensor worked

+1 thanks for this thread.
Just saved $1500 by removing the 2 x T6 torx screens and cleaning the clear plastic lens, and the optical disk. Didn't remove the pcb or the optical disk, or do any soldering.
Used 70% isopropyl alcohol wipes.
Again, appreciate it.
GL for other users with same issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #136
luc.pierson@gmail.com
France
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Talking whaou !

Dear yikes98

Car : BMW E90 320d M47, Build-Date July 2005

my dashboard lamps were flashing (abs, dsc), especially during hot weather (interior like an oven)

I changed the alternator without succeding into modifying the problem (as mentionned in anoter tutos)

Here are the last fault seen on carly through ODB adapter :
défaut : data failure
- Code: 004C03
- défaut : unknown failure
- Code: 0049F2
- défaut : Data COMBI STAT
- Code: 004992
- défaut : SWA Top Sensor F-CAN
- Code: 00D373
- défaut : Board voltage> 18 volts
- Code: 005DF7

I managed to follow each step carefully, disassembled in about 30 mn, everything cleaned
(not sure to be expert enough to touch electronics connections), cleaned the optical disk, also cleaned the little sticks with extra fin 3000 sandpaper, added some contact cleaning spray, and re-assembled,

Turned right and left, ligths are gone. Resetted the faults, made new diag don't show them any longer. Just hoping that will stay.

this is amazing, Excellent DYI..
thanks yikes98
LP
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #137
Vulcan50
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Respect and mass gratitude to the OP! I was able to fix my issues, though it wasn't due to the optical disk or sensor being dirty. Which was actually an easier fix for me. I'm going to start a new thread describing my issue and will link it shortly.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1389020

Last edited by Vulcan50; 05-29-2017 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Link added
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #138
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

I just wanted to say that My GF's best friend had this problem for over a year and she ignored it entirly when the dealer told her to pay $1200 for a new sensor. It wasn't until recently that I camme across this post and noticed a possible fix to the problem.

I wanted to say that I successfully cleaned the disc and used flux and resoldered the IR and Sensor chips to the board eventhough I was pretty sure it was just the disc. Either way i figured that i might as well do it anyways since i had it all out.

After i put it all back together it worked. She was so exstatic and super happy to finally have it fixed and she was even more happy that it was a free fix . I just wanted to say Thanks to Yikes98 for creating this DIY years ago as this is still a highly needed DIY.

I spent about 40 mins trying to figure out how to eject the air bag so i just wanted to give a tip and realize that these instructions are for sport steering wheels so if you have a non-sport module you should youtube up a video on how to remove the air bags since they are slightly different.

I also wanted to have the directions near the photos to help the install go smoother so i converted yikes98 DIY into a PDF. I'm attaching the pdf to this post for anyone else that prefers it this way.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Yikes98 Steering Angle Sensor Fix.pdf (1.19 MB, 961 views)
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #139
hatterasman27915
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Another satisfied customer.

Wiped optical disk with alcohol prep pad. Inspected PCB...all solder joints looked good. Works perfectly!!!

I had the three dash warning lights, but was not setting any codes. At first I thought it was the ABS hydro failure. I reset the ECU and calibrated the SAS several times and noticed that the lights stayed off until I turned the car around. Turning the wheel more than 90 degrees instantly reset the lights...so I started thinking SAS and google led me to this awesome thread!

Thank you!
2008 E61 535Xi, Black Sapphire, Natural Brown, Bamboo, Sport, Prem, XPEL Clear Bra, JB4, OCC, AR DP, KW V3, M5 Rear Sway, M5 Brakes, Forgestar F14's 19x8.5 +35, 19x9.5 +35 | 245-40/275-35 Pilot Sport A/S 3
1999 E46 328i, 5MT, Prem., 17" Style 68M Msport, 330i Brakes, Short Shifter, Bi-Xenons

Last edited by hatterasman27915; 07-09-2017 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #140
davena
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 328Xi

Just one more person who wants to say "thanks". I cleaned my disc and used ISTA+ to recalibrate. Solved all my problems with my BRAKE+DSC+4X4 failure lights.

I also had some haze while cleaning with 99% isopropyl alcohol. I gently swabbed with a aQtip and when the haze appeared, gently wiped to the side of the disc and got rid of it.

Really appreciate the help. Saved me a bunch of $$$ vs. the dealership.

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 12:50 PM   #141
tkfar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330i

cracked disc

I used this repair and found my disk was perfectly clean but cracked all the way through. I cleaned the disk and super-glued the inner and outer edge of the disk and it solved the problem for 6 months ! now the problem has returned . I'm going to try a UV repair this time. BUT.....If I replace just the optical disk, will I need to get it re-coded?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 05:27 AM   #142
nsfx84
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Hey guys,

Are one of the symptoms a loss of acceleration? As in car struggling to go up even a slope? I am also having difficulties starting the car as in I need to press the button a few times to successfully start it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #143
HMG_E93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 328i Convertible

I'm also getting these dreaded faults but I'm not sure what is causing them. I don't have a scan tool and nothing is showing up with just the OBD tool.

There's been two engine stalls so far since getting the faults. A full restart clears it but I get poor acceleration and delayed throttle response. It'll then be fine if it sits for a few hours or overnight.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 12:07 AM   #144
Matt9503
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I had the same faults + TPMS shutdown. Was under warranty from where I purchased the car but I took to BMW and car yard paid for the repair. (thankfully)
Ended up being wheel alignment issue, wheels were then aligned but the steering wheel ended up being wonky and not in a central position.
BMW recoded and reset some computers (did not tell me which ones) and steering was reset to center.
Problem fixed. BMW said they recommend wheel alignment every 6 -8 months due to the high level of camber on the E93 335i wheels. would also explain a bit of uneven tread wear on the fronts.
Hope this helps anyone who has the same problem who could no fix with the OP's solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #145
rjw
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Another success story on this one.

Had dsc, ftm and abs, along with turn signal not cancelling, no cruise, etc

cleaned the disc and sensor with contact cleaner.

everything working and no related codes for 100 miles, so far.

hasn't not thown codes in 2 years

thanks people
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #146
Rizvi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3, SilverstoneII

Garage List
2011 E90 M3- I have all the same faults, DSC, DBC, ABS, FTM! None of these were on before. My battery cable failed, was able to jiggle the cable and apply pressure to the fuse box behind the glove compartment to restore power to the car. All electronics were down, car had no power and would not start. I live in a Condo and my parking spots are side-by side, but 3 levels underground, where a tow truck cannot reach; we tried...

Thanks to another thread on this forum, I realized if i jiggle the cable, I could temporarily restore the intermittent connection of the main battery cable. So I did and as soon as it started went to my closest BMW dealership for emergency service.

BMW Toronto replaced the battery cable as part of a recall, but when I got the car back; they said that I needed to get all of these things fixed. When I told them that none of these warning lights were on until the battery cable failed and they are all connected. They didn't want to hear it. They just wanted my money!

Oh, and when I went to pick up the car, they tried to charge me for an extra battery that I never asked for nor was it ever installed in my car. When I made a scene about the extra charge, they apologized and said it was a mistake! I wonder how many unsuspecting rich dummies they screw over like that?

I dropped the car off with Performance BMW in St Catherines, ON, this morning. I bought the car, used, from their sister dealership and they had performed initial service on my car, before I bought it and first service after I bought it too. They said they would bill my extended warranty if anything was wrong and if my suspicions were true that this was connected to the battery cable replacement or BMW Toronto had made an error, they would take care of it and deal with the other dealership on my behalf.

St Catherines is very far to go for service from my place in downtown Toronto. However, after this experience, I feel like it may be worth it. Anyways, I just wanted to share my two cents. They gave me an X1 as a loaner, which kind of sucks... but hey, they gave me a loaner when I didn't even buy the car from them. Something BMW Toronto wasn't going to do until I played the friend who works there (Thanks Ahmed!) and stranded wife cards!

I'll post again when I have an update on what's going on with the car. How much it cost to fix and what was involved, etc...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #147
98mkiv
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335d

FYI, this does not work on the newer models with Active Steering. BMW has apparently realized the plastic encoder disc has a static charge (or something) that causes it to get dirty, which then prevents the encoder from working and it throws a spurious error code. They fixed it by using a metal disc with holes etched in it, which means it never gets dirty. If you're having this problem with a newer model, this particular cleaning fix will not apply. There is an additional encoder on the steering servo, mounted on the PS rack, it is mounted on the back of the motor.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2018, 12:34 AM   #148
nerovega
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i E90

Just in case anyone is wondering how long this fix lasts, I cleaned the disk 3 years ago. No problems since.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #149
FabioIntra
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 06/07

Hey guys! Speaking from Brazil, just joined here to thanks the OP for this topic. Here in Brazil everything is expensive for the bmws. By following these steps, I cleaned the Sensor with alcohol 70% and cotton and then my problem gone and everything looks perfect! Just made few minutes ago, still monitoring the steering hahaha
These were my errors in the iDrive: DSC Failure, DBC Failure, Start Assist Failure, Active Steering Wheel Fault and Flat Tyre Monitor Failure. The lights were DSC, HandBrake and Steering Wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #150
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Great DIY OP!!

My steering wheel was making quite a bit of noise so I sprayed some white lithium grease on the clock spring. It would fix the issues but the noise would come back eventually. All of a sudden, my dash is light up with the exact same notifications and turning signal issues as a the OP. Just called the dealership and was quotes over $1000cad for parts so I am praying I can fix this by following this write up! Wish me luck guys! I will keep everyone posted on the end results.
      04-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #151
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeinBMW View Post
Great DIY OP!!

My steering wheel was making quite a bit of noise so I sprayed some white lithium grease on the clock spring. It would fix the issues but the noise would come back eventually. All of a sudden, my dash is light up with the exact same notifications and turning signal issues as a the OP. Just called the dealership and was quotes over $1000cad for parts so I am praying I can fix this by following this write up! Wish me luck guys! I will keep everyone posted on the end results.
UPDATE: This worked. Also isolated the squeak noise and everything is well. I am confident this will last. Thank you OP for saving me over $1000!
      05-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #152
buckleyje
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Perhaps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glachhman View Post
I have an szl if anyone gives up and just wants to buy one.
I might be interested! Mine says BMW LZ 9 123 049-01 as the part number.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #153
buckleyje
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i

Didn't work for me?

I have the 3 dreaded lights that indicate drive-off assist failed, suspension control system failed, and my turn indicators won't turn off, no cruise control. My paddles work and the wipers work.

Cleaned the disc, it looked perfect already, put the car back together- now the airbag and seatbelt light are on!! Took it all apart again, thinking I should double-check every connection and clean it again, put it back together, started car, turned right, turned left, went for a drive... all the lights are still there. Including the airbag light.

I just ordered a code reader off Amazon to hopefully tell me what codes I'm getting and reset many....

I was thinking I'd order a new SZL, but my part# shows LZ 9 123 049-01 which I cannot find anywhere. I have found a similar part- 61319123049 but in the detail comments I can't tell if it supports rain sensor wipers or a heated steering wheel. Does anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #154
Acornell77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330XI

I'm in the same boat.

Last night I took all this apart, cleaned the disk, and cleaned as much that I could of everything while inspecting the contents. Everything looks ok even with magnify glass.

Went out this morning installed everything and recalibrated the steering sensor. Took it for a drive, my wipers seem to be working fine, my blinkers are now finally working but my DSC and Brake light went off came back on then went off again. Adaptive headlights warning still there but also have a lazy eye was hoping this would fix it. Only drove a few miles so unsure yet to what needs to happen.

Will pull out my ipad and carly and run some test.
Appreciate 0