E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil filter housing gasket help

12-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

Oil filter housing gasket help

So I replaced my oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets a couple of weeks back however the leaking has returned(never went completely away but was reduced) from the same location. I don't really know how I could have made a mistake with putting the new gaskets in but I am not an expert. Has this happened to anyone before or does anyone have a recommendation for when I redo the job tomorrow that will prevent me from doing it a third time?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

you have to clean mating surface really good. however are you sure the leak is not spilling from the valve cover ?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've only done the profile gasket on the N52, but I'm assuming the N54 is similar as one of the parts diagrams shows the housing that looks the same as the N52. All I can recommend is make sure the old gasket is completely removed from both surfaces. Make sure there head surface is clean and shiny with no nicks in it. Also, drain the coolant and detach all the hoses going to the housing so it is free to seat properly. And last when you re-install the housing torque the bolts down evenly in a pattern (i.e. don't fully tighten down one bolt at a time).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

A leaking oil filter cap o ring will also make it look like the filter housing is leaking but it is not.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep

It seems that cleaning especially well is a re occurring theme. I do recall cleaning but I guess it may not have been good enough. From what I read I need to torque down to 22nm or I believe that converts to about 16.5ft lbs does that sound right? I bought a torque wrench this go around to avoid over torquing and destroying the gaskets. The n52 is easier but it's the same general principle. I assume the only reason ur recommending a coolant drain is because of oil contamination correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 328 wagon

Common practice is to clean all surfaces very very well before putting new o rings or rubber gaskets on. The comment about being sure the housing is seated properly is a sound one as well....

There could be a crack in the housing or cap itself, but this is probably unlikely.If you clean everything super well, you should be able to see exactly where the leak is coming from...keep an eye on it and check daily.

there are also some gasket sealers and adhesives that you can use to be sure the gaskets are seated properly and lined up to do their job well....

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Juiced46
Major
Rep

There is no reason to use a gasket sealer. The gaskets press directly into the housing.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep

It's not leaking from the black oil filter cap but its coating everything directly below the housing. I previously clean everything with engine degreaser and it was recoated within a few drives. I will pay special attention to getting the housing and engine block super clean. I bought a small bottle of gasket sealant and I was planning to apply a small amount unless someone thinks that could cause a problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Can you take of picture of where you are seeing the oil?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep

sounds like its coming from somewhere else....

if the leak is not coming from the cap...then its originating below the cap....what else is down there?Valve cover gasket throwing a bit of oil magnified by the fan and spraying on the filter housing?

leaky power steering reservoir lines?

is it definitely oil?...not antifreeze, right? not power steering fluid, right?

I would say use a very bright flashlight and try to see where the leak is coming from....

clean the area,start the car and carefully look and see if you can find it....it should start to seep or drip soon, from what you are saying....

yes, pics will help!

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon
sounds like its coming from somewhere else....

if the leak is not coming from the cap...then its originating below the cap....what else is down there?Valve cover gasket throwing a bit of oil magnified by the fan and spraying on the filter housing?

leaky power steering reservoir lines?

is it definitely oil?...not antifreeze, right? not power steering fluid, right?

I would say use a very bright flashlight and try to see where the leak is coming from....

clean the area,start the car and carefully look and see if you can find it....it should start to seep or drip soon, from what you are saying....

yes, pics will help!

JP
I'm fairly confident it is related to oil filter housing gasket( not the o ring on the filter cap) as I have some oil in the coolant over flow so I know there is contamination. The repair got pushed to this weekend so I will have an update on Sunday as to whether this fixes it or not. If the gasket does not solve the problem I fear I may have a crack somewhere in one of the two housings.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
07lilredwagon
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixxishot View Post
I'm fairly confident it is related to oil filter housing gasket( not the o ring on the filter cap) as I have some oil in the coolant over flow so I know there is contamination. The repair got pushed to this weekend so I will have an update on Sunday as to whether this fixes it or not. If the gasket does not solve the problem I fear I may have a crack somewhere in one of the two housings.
did you get it fixed?

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixxishot View Post
did you get it fixed?

JP
Sorry I didn't provide an update to this thread but yes part of the oil leak issue was resolved. However I also discovered I am leaking oil from the crank seal which was most likely damaged from when the belt shredded and wrapped around the crank pulley it damaged the seal. It seems the most difficult part of fixing this is finding the damn glue that bmw required to change the seal. I should be able to fix the seal tomorrow as my parts are expected to arrive in the AM. I have a post about the crank seal leaking I will update with the specifics of how that repair goes as i know I'm not the only person with a leaking crank seal.
Appreciate 0