E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Need some help on the USB interface of Professional Radio

07-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
finn320i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 320i MT

Unhappy Need some help on the USB interface of Professional Radio

Hi all. I just got the new 09 320i few weeks ago with Professional Radio attached, but no iDrive.

But this Professional Radio really pissed me off since I can only use the CD and FM function but nothing else even though I have USB and AUX port in the armrest.

When I pressed the button of "AUDIO", it showed me TUNER, CD and USB (strangely no AUX). Then I plugged the USB Key into the socket with full of MP3 files in the root, and tried to select the "USB" function, nothing happened. Not even a word saying "incompatible" or "Device Not Found". It was just complete silence, then the Radio came back automatically.

I tried different USB keys also several types of MP3 players, non of them could be recognized by the system.

Could anyone instruct me how I can get this USB port to work at some stage? Also, can I use AUX to play music even though there is no such option in the radio but the port is physically there?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Brooklyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Slow as a turtle.

Check to see if you have a 2nd USB port in your glove box. If you do, try plugging your USB key into that port. Other wise, you have to order a special bit, which you can get from Tischer, that plugs into the port in the arm rest.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

I forgot to mention that if you intend on using an MP3 player, the port in the glove box will NOT work. That port is only for USB storage devices. In order to use an MP3 player you need that part which I linked above.
      07-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
finn320i
Registered
Rep

Thanks so much for the instruction. Unfortunately there is one USB port in my car. Does this mean only with this accessory I will be able to use the USB and AUX port in my car?

There is no way I can plug the external device through USB / AUX directly?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Brooklyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Slow as a turtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn320i View Post
Thanks so much for the instruction. Unfortunately there is one USB port in my car. Does this mean only with this accessory I will be able to use the USB and AUX port in my car?

There is no way I can plug the external device through USB / AUX directly?
Your POSITIVE there isnt a usb port in your glove box? If its there it will be hard to see but it should be on the left side of your glove box (if cars in Finland are right hand drive) and its hard to see. Otherwise, you need that part to play your music from an MP3 player. I believe what it does is allow the car to access the files from the MP3 player via USB but the AUX cable delievers the actual sound (does that make sense?). Anyway, its the type of part you can probably pick up right at your local BMW parts department.
      07-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
finn320i
Registered
Rep

OK, I will double check it today still, maybe the port was ignored.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
Your POSITIVE there isnt a usb port in your glove box? If its there it will be hard to see but it should be on the left side of your glove box (if cars in Finland are right hand drive) and its hard to see. Otherwise, you need that part to play your music from an MP3 player. I believe what it does is allow the car to access the files from the MP3 player via USB but the AUX cable delievers the actual sound (does that make sense?). Anyway, its the type of part you can probably pick up right at your local BMW parts department.
Quote:
Hi all. I just got the new 09 320i few weeks ago with Professional Radio attached, but no iDrive.

But this Professional Radio really pissed me off since I can only use the CD and FM function but nothing else even though I have USB and AUX port in the armrest.

When I pressed the button of "AUDIO", it showed me TUNER, CD and USB (strangely no AUX). Then I plugged the USB Key into the socket with full of MP3 files in the root, and tried to select the "USB" function, nothing happened. Not even a word saying "incompatible" or "Device Not Found". It was just complete silence, then the Radio came back automatically.

I tried different USB keys also several types of MP3 players, non of them could be recognized by the system.

Could anyone instruct me how I can get this USB port to work at some stage? Also, can I use AUX to play music even though there is no such option in the radio but the port is physically there?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

Many thanks
How big is this USB stick? Have you tried a different USB stick than that one?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 03:36 AM   #8
finn320i
Registered
Rep

I went to the car dealer today, and showed them the problem with different USB Keys and MP3 players. The conclusion is that they probably will need to do something serious to my radio, they said it was abnormal.

Anyway, thanks for all the help from you guys
Appreciate 0