E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Control arm bushings or rotors? HELP

11-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Rauldb137
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi e90

Control arm bushings or rotors? HELP

So I've been having some vibration on my steering wheel while I brake for some time now. But now, the wheel shakes very very little while driving on the highway. I had my tires rebalanced (which were fine to begin with but wanted to make sure).

So, I had new brake pads and rotors in my cart ready to order online. Then, I did some research and found that it may be control arm bushings. So idk what to do now. I don't want to go get it rechecked to see what they say.
Any way i can check myself. Maybe tell me what to look for in the bushings.
Any help would be appreciated.

Car is 2008 328xi with 98,000 miles so with this many miles i'm guessing either or could be the problem
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

To find out if your bushings are bad get under the car and check to see if they are brownish color or leaking any fluids, if they are in any of those conditions then they are wearing out and might need replacing a.s.a.p. I have the exact same problem as you but a little info on our NA cars, the control arm bushings are really soft and wear out faster, I suggest you upgrade them to HD Bushings or M3 whichever you find more to your likings.

Since I didn't want to just replace the bushings I ordered a complete M3 lower control arm kit but it's backordered, so I don't know when i'll get it. When I get it installed I hope it fixes the problem but if not then i'll be upgrading my brakes to StopTech.
      11-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Rauldb137
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
To find out if your bushings are bad get under the car and check to see if they are brownish color or leaking any fluids, if they are in any of those conditions then they are wearing out and might need replacing a.s.a.p. I have the exact same problem as you but a little info on our NA cars, the control arm bushings are really soft and wear out faster, I suggest you upgrade them to HD Bushings or M3 whichever you find more to your likings.

Since I didn't want to just replace the bushings I ordered a complete M3 lower control arm kit but it's backordered, so I don't know when i'll get it. When I get it installed I hope it fixes the problem but if not then i'll be upgrading my brakes to StopTech.
Thanks for your input. I was looking at those upgrades as well, but it's only for i not xi or at least thats all i found. is yours an xi?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauldb137 View Post
Thanks for your input. I was looking at those upgrades as well, but it's only for i not xi or at least thats all i found. is yours an xi?
Nope, mines is an I with just sports package since I didn't buy the car for the bells and whistles But consider replacing those bushings soon or buy a complete M3 lower control arm kit if you don't have any maintenance to do on your car.
      11-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
Snowbird
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 328i

R u guys talking about the same thing as front suspension thrust rod bushings ? my SA at BMW Seattle told me mind is cracked and need replace. It costs 620. Anyway I can diy my self?

Did some researching last night, should I go with Powerflex bushings ($340 for all 3 sets). I am not looking for performance so M3 set is not needed. I just want it to last so I don't have to do it again in 60k. JS-NA.E92 did you order the whole upper/lower/wishbone kit or just the lower control arm? Below link is what I am looking at.

http://store.powerflexusa.com/bmw-e9...ngs-p1170.aspx

So frustrating...

Last edited by Snowbird; 11-02-2012 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Those Powerflex bushings will be too stiff if you're still riding on rft's and may get squeaky over time as many poly bushings do. Check with Meyle and Lemforder to see if they have replacement bushings for your tension links. That or oem imo.
      11-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Rauldb137
Rep

how do i know if the bushings are bad. I got under the car and they look fine to me, but maybe i'm missing something? how noticable are bad bushings?
My rotors seem straight to me but then again, how bad to warped rotors look?

My steering wheel shake on braking is getting bad
Appreciate 0