E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > i'd say an angel was watching over us both...

01-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #23
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3KILL3R View Post
hmm honestly...the second i went off the ledge i slammed my right arm back towards her chest to hold her in place and said hold on. after that it was an out of body experience...like everything was 3rd person to me...
after we landed and i made sure she was okay i turned around and told her ," so u like the view?" loll

and im leaning towards a C63 right now, but not sure yet...

i have one question tho... u guys think suing bmw for the air bags not opening is a good idea and will go through? because the front ones or the passanger side ones didnt open...
I would definitely talk to a automotive lawyer about that.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #24
CPI
403_e39
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 ///M5

Garage List
OMG! thats insane! Good to hear that both of you are ok.

||KWVI Coilovers||Matte Black Grille||28% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||H&S Exhaust||Exotics Tuning Lip||Slimmbones Rear Diffuser II||AngelIBright V3 Angel Eyes|| Fog light covers||UUC RK6 Shift Knob||
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #25
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

WOW!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #26
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Damn, that's crazy. Good thing no one was hurt.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #27
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

damn thse animals totally "view spot" blocked you
      01-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #28
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Glad you both are ok man!!!

I was in a head-on with a drunk driver on Halloween. Totalled my '07 Pathfinder $22,000+ damage, airbags and all. I didn't have a seatbelt, my girlfriend did. We are both fine - just sore and some bruises.

It'll rock your world for sure for WEEKS afterwards.

There is something to be said about these newer safer cars for sure. That was my first wreck like that and I've been drivin' for 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #29
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I would say you are a tool if you sue BMW for the airbags not opening. You walked away from driving off a cliff, 400 feet and tumbling with no major injuries. That is a very safe vehicle any way you put it. If you got hurt more or something bad happened because they didn't open then go for it but if you just want to do it for the money you're a pretty good example of what is wrong with society today.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #30
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I would say you are a tool if you sue BMW for the airbags not opening. You walked away from driving off a cliff, 400 feet and tumbling with no major injuries. That is a very safe vehicle any way you put it. If you got hurt more or something bad happened because they didn't open then go for it but if you just want to do it for the money you're a pretty good example of what is wrong with society today.
+1

You got out of this crash with minor injuries and you want to sue the car manufacturer who is probably the sole reason you are alive today... Wow.. just wow!

Anyways... glad you got out alive... and I hope that if you sue BMW, you should also sue the tire manufacturers, the road designers, the animal control people... and maybe a bunch of others too...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #31
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

wow
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #32
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Uh..

Sue? You should send them a bottle of wine.

If you ever wreck again you just might burn to a slow death while watching as people try to save you but can't.

Going to take a stab here. You are in your late teens or early twenties. Someone in your circle has now suggested a possible lawsuit inquiry.
Attached Images

Last edited by gonzo; 01-07-2010 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #33
delete-this-account
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
+1
      01-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #34
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:

i have one question tho... u guys think suing bmw for the air bags not opening is a good idea and will go through? because the front ones or the passanger side ones didnt open...
It's hard to tell from the pics, and I am by no means an expert, but it doesn't appear the area in the bumper where the airbag sensors are located sustained enough damage/impact/force to deploy the bag.

It looks like the lower lip/valence was ripped off, and the driver side of the bumper cover, but the metal frame of the bumper (front middle) doesn't "look" damaged very much.
      01-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #35
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

You walked away with a broken collarbone as is. What's to say the damage to you and pax would have been lessened had the bags deployed? Airbags are no joke and can hurt you in some cases. For all you know, it worked as designed.

And going to ask a lawyer if you should sue is like going and asking an arsonist if you should start a fire
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #36
Floppy Ears
Still learning...
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

that should buff right out...

...just kidding. damn glad to see you're alive and kickin' after looking at those pictures!

-Jeff
      01-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #37
ddutch98107
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
+1

You got out of this crash with minor injuries and you want to sue the car manufacturer who is probably the sole reason you are alive today... Wow.. just wow!

Anyways... glad you got out alive... and I hope that if you sue BMW, you should also sue the tire manufacturers, the road designers, the animal control people... and maybe a bunch of others too...
+2 as well.

I think, from looking at the pictures, the airbag didn't deploy because there was no impact on that side. Furthermore had it gone off, I think your female friend would've probably been more hurt. Airbags are not fun in your face.

BMW built a good safe car, and you got out good. Get the insurance money and either go with the C63 or stick with BMW as you have found out first hand how complete you and your friend came out of that wreck.

PS from a legal perspective, be glad your female friend is so unhurt, she could, in fact, sue you as you were the one in control of the vehicle. Food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 01:47 AM   #38
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

HOLY SHIT

Always take out the animals. Never swerve off the road. You are so fucking lucky to be alive and your BMW saved your ass. I can't believe you're thinking about a lawsuit
      01-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #39
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
This statement makes me doubt the circumstances behind your entire story, honestly.

I've driven Angeles Crest many times. Including at night. I don't see how you could have gone over the side when doing 35mph.
      01-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #40
ronushi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
It's hard to tell from the pics, and I am by no means an expert, but it doesn't appear the area in the bumper where the airbag sensors are located sustained enough damage/impact/force to deploy the bag.

It looks like the lower lip/valence was ripped off, and the driver side of the bumper cover, but the metal frame of the bumper (front middle) doesn't "look" damaged very much.

like san-man said there was no front damage which the airbags didnt deploy however you can see you rolled over on your sides not front and back flips. and the second i saw you mentioning suing you are stupid. all are saying you should send bmw a thank you letter for saving your life... god be with you boy because next time you will shitttt your pants before you come out alive out of a wreck like that...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #41
Andrew9931
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

inexperienced driver reconfirmed by the idea to sue bmw for lack of airbag deployment on an intact bumper. thank god your alright who cares about what worked and what didn't.

when theres an animal in the road that isnt large enough to do serious damage just hit it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #42
Castor Troy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1998 Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVM3NYC View Post
inexperienced driver reconfirmed by the idea to sue bmw for lack of airbag deployment on an intact bumper..
Just registered to say:

Driver: glad you're ok

Driver: you're a fucking tool. these cars have multiple sensors taking hundreds of measurements a second, so that only the airbags that are needed deploy. pretty obviously there is no impact damage to the front, and almost none on the passenger side. those airbags going off could have potentially caused FAR more harm than good. that's why they have the sophisticated systems that they do.

every safety system in that car worked as designed, and you were able to walk away because of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:20 AM   #43
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Glad you're alright... That is horrific. My girlfriend is always yelling at me for not swerving out of the way of animals. This is the exact reason why I don't. I would rather replace parts on my car than go through an ordeal like yours. Unless you have a moose or a cow in front of you... run that shit over and say a prayer.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #44
light
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Glad you are ok..

wow.. James Bond
Appreciate 0