E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Blaupunkt Plug'N'Play Amp install.....

10-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #485
de-v8
Rep
Drives: e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig020378 View Post
Where can I buy this upgrade in the uk I've looked eveywhere
I just got lucky, after reading MOST of this and other pages yesterday, and picked up a 275 on Ebay. GIzzE has put me off a little despite it being his initial post and comments throughout, I'm a bit confused to be honest!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #486
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Aren't you using a 475 amp?

You have 4 channels. Not 4 channels plus sub channels.

You also have a pre lci car, so just disconnect the oem connector from the sub, don't go cutting wires.

Run new cables from your sub to your rear channels on the amp.
Hook the rear in and out connectors into each other and the front connectors into the amp.
Gizze
If you read my post carefully, it will answer what Jammy asked.
Nobody said to cut the wires for underseats!
And running new cables for the underseats has already been mentioned.

Question is, if he uses the rear channel of the harness for rear signals to go back to the rears, how would he connect the underseats to the rear channel output on that amp? (without the socket pug)
      10-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #487
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-v8 View Post
I just got lucky, after reading MOST of this and other pages yesterday, and picked up a 275 on Ebay. GIzzE has put me off a little despite it being his initial post and comments throughout, I'm a bit confused to be honest!
2 channel amp is not enough. You will benefit from 4 channel or 6 channels amp.
      10-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #488
de-v8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
2 channel amp is not enough. You will benefit from 4 channel or 6 channels amp.
Sorry for ignorance. Will the 475 give a MUCH better improvement? I'm only upgrading the tweeters. Been told you can't replace the rears as BMW flatline the output to them.

Also, I'm paranoid about having all the cabling going through the car as I'm stressed it will produce niggling creaks and noises I don't have. I'm a nightmare for hearing things in the car.

This is not something I'd do myself as it's well beyond my comfort zone!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 03:20 AM   #489
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for ignorance. Will the 475 give a MUCH better improvement? I'm only upgrading the tweeters. Been told you can't replace the rears as BMW flatline the output to them.

Also, I'm paranoid about having all the cabling going through the car as I'm stressed it will produce niggling creaks and noises I don't have. I'm a nightmare for hearing things in the car.

This is not something I'd do myself as it's well beyond my comfort zone!

Cheers!
If your installer does not loose any tabs/ break anything, you should not get any issues.

And after installing decent sound system, you should not be able to hear any creaks / noises anyway.

You should know that front speakers and underseats are connected in parallel. The purpose of 4 channel amp is to give decent power and proper crossovers to the door speakers and underseats. 4 channel amp will not be used to power the rears.
      10-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #490
de-v8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
If your installer does not loose any tabs/ break anything, you should not get any issues.

And after installing decent sound system, you should not be able to hear any creaks / noises anyway.

You should know that front speakers and underseats are connected in parallel. The purpose of 4 channel amp is to give decent power and proper crossovers to the door speakers and underseats. 4 channel amp will not be used to power the rears.
Thanks for this. Looks like I'll need to sell my 275 and I'm for the bigger version then.

Does anyone know an installer in Edinburgh or surrounding area?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #491
de-v8
Rep

Sorry, meant to ask. Will I need to make any adjustments to the 475 to maximise the sound quality/performance? I see people discussing crossovers.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #492
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, meant to ask. Will I need to make any adjustments to the 475 to maximise the sound quality/performance? I see people discussing crossovers.
This is not plug and play kit.
Some knowledge of installation and crossover and gain adjustment is required.

If you are after plug and play then look into BMW alpine retrofit kit. (not sure if they make for 5 series.)
      10-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #493
de-v8
Rep

Is the 475 not plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 04:54 AM   #494
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Is the 475 not plug and play?
PNP for front and rears.
Fronts speakers and underseats are still in parallel, if you follow their plug and play scheme.

For ideal sound, you need to split the front door speakers and underseats and crossover them properly.
      10-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #495
de-v8
Rep

OK, so I now have the L7 tweeters on way from States and sourced harness and a THA-475.

I'm getting my Indy to install in boot as per OP.

Do we need to power from battery?
Do we need to adjust anything?

Thanks?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #496
Telly Addict
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Addict View Post
Just to add some feed back on this thread, I fitted the Blaupunkt 5 channel amp and upgraded the door speakers and added tweeters - we just got back from our road trip to south west France today and the sound system has been absolutely fantastic, making the 6 hr stints not only bearable, but enjoyable too. Real kick and authority from it now, completely transformed the sound from the car and I haven't got round to wiring the under-seats to their own dedicated channel yet!

Wholeheartedly recommend this upgrade to anyone with the base stereo. It's a no-brainer.

If anyone's interested, I have both this THA 555 amp and the PnP harness available now since I sold the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #497
mycool
Registered
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

I have just got a e60 M5 - my first BMW, so a newbie! and interested in upgrading the stereo as it is woeful - especially on a car of this quality!

Having read through these threads etc, I think that a set of the 8" earthquakes and a decent amp will do the job but i'm a bit confused as how to do it as most of the plug and play options are discontinued.

I have the standard hifi audio with front door door mids and tweeters, rear deck speakers and underfloor subs and the small standard amp in the boot. Can hardly hear the tweeters or the subs but they are working.

What are my options - how do i connect the 475 Blaupunkt amp or am I better going aftermarket with another 4 channel amp?

Looking for the easiest method to get a decent system - not looking to blow the car apart with bass or anything - just make it what it should have been from the outset!

Any advice appreciated - thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #498
Isetta
Enlisted Member
Greece
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi mycool,

With a little search on eBay you will be able to find the discontinued Blaupunkt (search mostly ebay.de) and the extra P&P adapters around the world.
It's an easy installation, no special tools needed and no wire cutting.
Another similar, but more expensive option is Audiotec Fischer's plug and play amp or Alpine Hifi retrofit kit.
An aftermarket amp installation is going to need wire cutting but you will have more advantages.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #499
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycool View Post
I have just got a e60 M5 - my first BMW, so a newbie! and interested in upgrading the stereo as it is woeful - especially on a car of this quality!

Having read through these threads etc, I think that a set of the 8" earthquakes and a decent amp will do the job but i'm a bit confused as how to do it as most of the plug and play options are discontinued.

I have the standard hifi audio with front door door mids and tweeters, rear deck speakers and underfloor subs and the small standard amp in the boot. Can hardly hear the tweeters or the subs but they are working.

What are my options - how do i connect the 475 Blaupunkt amp or am I better going aftermarket with another 4 channel amp?

Looking for the easiest method to get a decent system - not looking to blow the car apart with bass or anything - just make it what it should have been from the outset!

Any advice appreciated - thanks.
You already have amp. And 8 inch subs. If you want more clarity and punch, then replace your oem amp with JL 600/6. A guy technics in states sells pnp harness for your oem amp connector.
      07-14-2014, 06:07 AM   #500
mycool
Registered
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

#Not sure i have the 8" subs.

Car has the S676A - HiFi speaker system which i think is the 6.5" subs and the OEM Harman Becker amp.

Could the amp inthe back be knackered as there is no bass all mid and tops and only at a high volume, with the bass EQ turned all the way up, can I just make out the subs.

Hence the questions about upgrading the amp first and then considering upgrading the subs and splitting then from the front speakers to get proper crossover etc if the amp alone wasn't good enough?

Last edited by mycool; 07-14-2014 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #501
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

500!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #502
jmulls
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 3281

So I hate to bring up an old thread, but was thinking about adding a subwoofer into my trunk. I currently have the PnP 555 amp, with Earthquake subs. What I was contemplating doing was having the head unit power the rear speakers, freeing up 2 channels on the amp. I was then going to wire the earthquake subs to the rear channel slots that I just opened up. This would allow the subwoofer channel to drive a sub in the trunk.

My goal is two fold, yes I do plan on leaving the pass through open, so I would like to get deeper bass, and would also like to use the Earthquake subs to fill up the midrange area a bit. While I do not plan on disconnecting the door speakers (still oem), I don't like the sound a 4" speaker is providing and was hoping to use the filters on the AMP to allow the subs to fill the cabing with a deeper mid range.

Thoughts
Jim
Appreciate 0