E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vargas Turbo Stage 2 / 3 update

12-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #23
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

I like the rear flange jigging tacked onto the engine stand: innovative.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
Juicer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

It would be great if the stage 3 was compatible with some of the aftermarket FMICs like the Helix or others. I think a lot of people in the market for this are already FBO.It would help keep the price down and as a result more people would go this route.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
Intricacy
Procede
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive35i

Keep up the good work!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #26
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer
It would be great if the stage 3 was compatible with some of the aftermarket FMICs like the Helix or others. I think a lot of people in the market for this are already FBO.It would help keep the price down and as a result more people would go this route.
Not sure where the info came from that it wouldn't it be? It will be compatible with every front mount intercooler and all stock and aftermarket exhausts that use the standard dual 2.5" inlets. We are well aware most people are FBO. Building a kit that doesn't utilize as many of the existing upgrades as possible doesn't make much sense from a business or implementation standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #27
cleex024
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
Not sure where the info came from that it wouldn't it be? It will be compatible with every front mount intercooler and all stock and aftermarket exhausts that use the standard dual 2.5" inlets. We are well aware most people are FBO. Building a kit that doesn't utilize as many of the existing upgrades as possible doesn't make much sense from a business or implementation standpoint.
But again you dont think it would be too restrictive? All the parts were meant for the stock turbos and I would feel that the piping would be to small
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #28
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024
Quote:
But again you dont think it would be too restrictive? All the parts were meant for the stock turbos and I would feel that the piping would be to small
No we do not. People are running dual 2.5" aftermarket exhaust with over 600HP. This discussion is rather moot, if you are in the market for a kit like this you are not running a stock exhaust system. This kit is capable of supporting between 600-900HP depending on turbo options. To reach anywhere near these numbers MANY things needs to be upgraded. That goes without saying.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
No we do not. People are running dual 2.5" aftermarket exhaust with over 600HP. This discussion is rather moot, if you are in the market for a kit like this you are not running a stock exhaust system. This kit is capable of supporting between 600-900HP depending on turbo options. To reach anywhere near these numbers MANY things needs to be upgraded. That goes without saying.
That is the truth, fuel pump, suspension and most important LSD possible tranny upgrade and 1/2 shafts if there is one. I Have RB's and break traction at over 100 mph without a LSD LOL!! With these.....wow!!

Looks great man!!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
F80M
Major
Rep
Drives: M Fap

Not sure if it has been discussed before...what's the differences between Vargas S2 and RB turbos in terms of configuration/specification and performance?

I'm in the market of upgrading twin and I would like to wait and see the S2 performance before making decisions.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #31
Deemo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Octane
Not sure if it has been discussed before...what's the differences between Vargas S2 and RB turbos in terms of configuration/specification and performance?

I'm in the market of upgrading twin and I would like to wait and see the S2 performance before making decisions.
+1...
      12-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #32
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
That is the truth, fuel pump, suspension and most important LSD possible tranny upgrade and 1/2 shafts if there is one. I Have RB's and break traction at over 100 mph without a LSD LOL!! With these.....wow!!

Looks great man!!
Check your alignment, something is wrong. I drove a friend's E90M3 with 683whp and 450wtq, and his has no problem hooking at 60. Hitting an expansion joint and seeing the DSC light flash doesn't count.

Tony, good progress, looking forward to seeing these continue to develop!
      12-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #33
longliven54
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefactoM6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post

Looks great man!!
Check your alignment, something is wrong. I drove a friend's E90M3 with 683whp and 450wtq, and his has no problem hooking at 60. Hitting an expansion joint and seeing the DSC light flash doesn't count.

Tony, good progress, looking forward to seeing these continue to develop!
m3 comes with a killer lsd. thats why
JB4 G5 / VRSF IC / STETT CAI / GREDDY / custom exhaust / iRotora cross drilled rotots / snow stage 3 meth / 19" iForged senekas / upgraded speakers n CF woofer box / M3 bits/ DINAN camber plates/ KONI/ megan racing toe arm/ supreme power lowering perch
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #34
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by longliven54 View Post
LSD has nothing to do with it...it doesn't create magical grip. On a flat, straight, well paved road, a LSD isn't doing squat. It only helps when one wheel is being oversped under load and the other isn't. I'll make a more relevant comparison. My car makes very similar TQ numbers to what RBs put down (491). And with PSSes, open diff and stock rear suspension, I never had a problem putting down power at 60mph, even 40mph, as long as the temps are above 40. If you are getting "wheelspin" at 100mph, 60mph, you are either feeling the flimsy rear toe arms/subframe bushings and perceiving their weakness/floatiness as wheelspin, a colossally screwed up alignment, an inability to drive, you hit a massive expansion gap, or some combination thereof.

Now back on topic.
      12-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #35
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefactoM6
Quote:
Originally Posted by longliven54 View Post
LSD has nothing to do with it...it doesn't create magical grip. On a flat, straight, well paved road, a LSD isn't doing squat. It only helps when one wheel is being oversped under load and the other isn't. I'll make a more relevant comparison. My car makes very similar TQ numbers to what RBs put down (491). And with PSSes, open diff and stock rear suspension, I never had a problem putting down power at 60mph, even 40mph, as long as the temps are above 40. If you are getting "wheelspin" at 100mph, 60mph, you are either feeling the flimsy rear toe arms/subframe bushings and perceiving their weakness/floatiness as wheelspin, a colossally screwed up alignment, an inability to drive, you hit a massive expansion gap, or some combination thereof.

Now back on topic.
I have baby 245s on my 135 that's on 100% e85, needless to say I'm getting an LSD, and hopefully some wider wheels and rubber

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #36
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefactoM6 View Post

Now back on topic.
+1 The man knows what he's talking about.
      12-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #37
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Great work Tony...

Again to my previous question because I'd be interested in further custom tunability and parts....

I'd assume it would be just as easy to run a single pipe DP so that I could attach a custom straight through exhaust.

Single pipe is usually less weight and more open flowing without getting a open/close valve at the DP. The pipe your running on that current DP looks to be a 4", but I could be wrong.

I'd imagine you'd see some nice gains even at maintaining a 3" straight through pipe instead of tapering to meet the stock exhaust.

Just asking out of my own curiousty.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #38
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

i would hate to be the person trying to install those 5 bolt downpipes!! why not vband for easier install?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #39
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Now back on topic.
I agree for the most part but with all due respect, there are not many flat straight and well paved roads in this country. In fact, I dont know of any LOL.

My 335i spun 40 rolls like it's job, and sometimes on uneven surfaces it would break loose shifting into 3rd.

Keeping that in mind, my Vette with a real LSD doesn't have any problems. Once you drive a car with a real LSD you wonder why you waited so long if you had the opportunity to upgrade.

The car is much more predictable and consistent, and you dont need to worry about finding that perfect road if you want to hook up well.

When it does get a little loose, it's easy to dial back in as it's not throwing power around to one wheel or the other.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #40
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Dont rush Tony , its winter now

At least that is my situation... its really tempting to go all crazy and aim for the stage 3 , but I am afraid your cost alone will not be enough to keep the car reliable

Transmission upgrade for everyone with AT and serious clutch upgrade for the MT...
Shafts needs upgrading
Dual oilcoolers maybe ?
Fuel supply upgrade ?
What else ?

I think I will be happy with the stage 2 , but I really want the stage 3 ...
but when will it end ?

I know I spent 20 000$ on various mods and upgrades on my car ... and more is ongoing.... my girlfriend stopped being jealous of other girls that I talk to , she have her enemy # 1 , my car , gets way too much attention she says ... calm down I say , almost done
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
Presidio335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
will it fit an XI thats my only question
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAL278 View Post
This..
That...
      12-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #42
taylors335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 08 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [7.00]
can this kit be installed with the engine and cradle still in the car ? also and estimate on kit pricing ? looks beastly !
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #43
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
Dual 2.5" can flow a lot more than people who market 3" downpipes on here have lead a lot of people to believe. I believe the # was 250cfm of flow per 100hp. In theory using estimated values dual 2.5" should flow 463hp with absolute ease, but the upper limit of what it can flow without impeding performance significantly is higher. There's too many other factors like thermal expansion, types of bends, max rpm which can skew these #'s.
As a side note my buddies car runs mid 9's on dual 2.5" in a car with similar weight to ours, so it seems to be doing well.

Quote:

Now back on topic.
Refreshing post Too many people on this forum glorify an LSD without understanding how it works and what it's actual purpose is, especially with the wavetrac genre.

Side note: 335i Rear subframe bushings = made of spaghetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Keeping that in mind, my Vette with a real LSD doesn't have any problems. Once you drive a car with a real LSD you wonder why you waited so long if you had the opportunity to upgrade.
:
Seeing that you mention REAL LSD, do you consider the popular choices for the n54 a REAL LSD?
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #44
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio335xi View Post
That...
Extremely doubtful it will fit an XI or RHD. Its a squeeze to fit as is. Also you should not have to remove engine to install. We suggest subframe removal for ANY turbocharger swap, stock, upgraded, anything. The job can not really be done properly leaving it in place let alone someone trying to do it their driveway. For this kit it will need to be installed by a qualified technician. This is not a project you want to do in your garage or driveway. With that said we are taking every effort to make sure it installs as easy as possible.
Appreciate 0