E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i boost solenoid.

11-05-2016, 04:19 AM   #1
Minisi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

335i boost solenoid.

hi all. where's the best place to purchase a couple of new boost solenoids for my 335i as I'm having constant 30ff codes at very light throttle.

thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minisi View Post
hi all. where's the best place to purchase a couple of new boost solenoids for my 335i as I'm having constant 30ff codes at very light throttle.

thanks in advance.
Honest straight answer from me (and we see diagnose and replace enough of them) would be to buy them from BMW they are £79.85 from memory each plus VAT but you do have the security of a 2 year parts guarantee to lean on (however with the parts warranty you do have to if proven return the car to BMW to diagnose the issue to prove the part itself is defective) but overall for what they do and the cost I think its worth paying the extra from memory I think they may be made by Pierberg(I'm holding a duff one now but cannot see a makers name) but it does look like it could be made by them

Don't forget while you're there to check and replace any vac lines as 30FF can be a code for more than just the converters plus if the faults been present for a while you may also have a more deep routed issue as we've seen a few times elsewhere but it would be logical to start with that fault code with the most common issue namely the converters and if required pipes. After we've done this sort of work and test driven we have on occasions still seen the code present we then check covers off for turbo actuation and we have seen on the odd occasion visible issue re wastegate movement meaning as said a more deep routed issue namely the dreaded turbo's themselves
      11-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Worth having a look at the connection between turbos & charge air manifold. If you can see oil around there that may be your problem.
I had a boost issue awhile back & Bmw diagnosed boost solenoids & or pipework which they replaced, didn't cure the problem so they then told me the turbos were the issue & needed replacing. It wasn't any of these it was the clamps that were at fault, fortunately I had noticed it looked a bit oily down there.
I think the clamps weaken over time due to the amount of heat cycles they go through.
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Heat with these cars chappers seems to be one enemy that over time causes a fair few issues, we done a set of pressure converters yesterday and another set a few days previously(hence the set I happened to have to hand when I was writing the previous post)and in both cases once replaced we saw immediate improvements but sadly on the car we done yesterday though the converters were all good sadly the turbos also were suffering from fatigue and when checked from the underneath covers removed we could see that the No2 actuator simply wasn't moving freely a simple vac test to check lines and pipe check and all ancelleries in this case at least drew the unfortunate news that there was an issue re within certainly No2 turbo.

But fatigue re certain components due to the tremendous amount of heat seems to be a fairly common issue with the 335i's my pressure converters appear to of been changed in 2011 (hence the date stamp on them at least)so just before I bought the car I changed them again from memory in mid 2015, vac pipework is almost certainly worth going over most known items thoroughly while reasonable access is available. But one things for sure these are certainly temperamental cars
      11-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
Minisi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Honest straight answer from me (and we see diagnose and replace enough of them) would be to buy them from BMW they are £79.85 from memory each plus VAT but you do have the security of a 2 year parts guarantee to lean on (however with the parts warranty you do have to if proven return the car to BMW to diagnose the issue to prove the part itself is defective) but overall for what they do and the cost I think its worth paying the extra from memory I think they may be made by Pierberg(I'm holding a duff one now but cannot see a makers name) but it does look like it could be made by them

Don't forget while you're there to check and replace any vac lines as 30FF can be a code for more than just the converters plus if the faults been present for a while you may also have a more deep routed issue as we've seen a few times elsewhere but it would be logical to start with that fault code with the most common issue namely the converters and if required pipes. After we've done this sort of work and test driven we have on occasions still seen the code present we then check covers off for turbo actuation and we have seen on the odd occasion visible issue re wastegate movement meaning as said a more deep routed issue namely the dreaded turbo's themselves

will order these straight from BMW then as I'm pretty sure these are at fault. I'm currently FBO+ inlets and have checked and double checked all connections. only started getting the fault code once I updated the software version on my JB4. I'll replace the solenoids as I assume they have never been changed so at 8 years old and 70k miles are worth doing any way.

thanks for everyone's input.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
Minisi
Private First Class
Rep

also anyone know the bmw part code for the solenoids??
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
E92 420
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Auto e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minisi View Post
also anyone know the bmw part code for the solenoids??
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
Minisi
Private First Class
Rep

cheers pal. 👍
Appreciate 0