E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > obd2/electrical mess

10-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
rodasimmons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i m-sport coupe

Unhappy obd2/electrical mess

I've had my first BMW, a 2011 335i M-sport coupe for about 2 months. It's been great until recently. I've planned on doing mods but had been saving up some cash. I got a twisted tuning cable, got MHD (free), and all of the software to do some simple coding. I was able to do some minor coding things like folding mirrors with the key fob, and rolling up/down windows etc. I was finally ready to put a stage 1 tune on. I bought and installed an aluminum charge pipe, then bought MHD flasher and the stage 1 package. Here's where my problems begin.
I have two different android devices that I’ve used with MHD to check/clear codes before I bought flasher. I know they work. When I try to connect with MHD now it cannot talk to the DME. There’s something wrong with my odb2 connection or with the DME. I’ve tried a odb2 scanner that I’ve used on my other cars and it was unable to establish a connection. Just to make sure, I took it to Advance Auto and had them check with their scanner. They received power from the port, but couldn’t communicate with the computer. I used a light circuit tester to verify that the port was providing power (pin 16) and ground (pins 4 and 5). I’ve checked all fuses with the same tester and none are blown.
While testing things, noticed that my passenger seat will no longer slide forward, back, or recline and my comfort access isn’t working either. Are there fuses elsewhere on the car that I should check other than those behind the glove box? And don’t get me started on the useless fuse map/card that comes with the card. It doesn’t even come close to matching up with the fuse box.
My inspection on the car is now past due and I assume it will not pass if the obd2 port isn’t allowing access to the computer. I’m a little frustrated since I’ve bought $250 for a tune that I can’t use and my electronics are starting to go haywire. Anyone have any advice or recommendations other than taking it to a local indy or dealer? Thanks in advance for any help!! - Rod
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
VACust
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i AT

Maybe here is a bent pin or two in the connector. I had a similar issue but was easier to track down. After I had emissions done and went to get in the car and put he cover back on I noticed the OBD2 connector was broken. I thought the guy had kicked the cable and broken the car side connector off of he mount and didn’t say anything. Long story short he gorilla armed the test port on so hard he broke the bracket and when I went to flash waiting for a new terminal found 2 bent pins. Had to repin the car side in a new connector.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
rodasimmons
United_States
Rep

I had the same thought and ordered a new odb2 port from BMW and repinned it. That wasn't fun - even with the correct tool to remove the pins. One of the pins (actually female) was a little mangled. I tried to bend it back to its original shape but it should be replaced. After putting everything back together I had the same result. I'm going to order a female odb2 port kit and use those pins. This will take a few days to get, but I hope to be able to do the replacement by the end of the week.

I still have no idea why my passenger seat controls and the comfort access entry stopped working at the same time.

Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
VACust
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i AT

I had to replace a few pins to get it back to what it should be. I don’t trust the state of emissions testing locations equipment. Mine happened at the dealer. I ended up buying an OBD2 extension on Amazon for my MHD cable and to have a cheaper easier spot to fix in the chance it gets damaged by an apprentice at the dealer again.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
rodasimmons
United_States
Rep

Good idea. I just ordered one.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
rodasimmons
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down today's update

OBD2 port kit parts arrived yesterday. I tried using one of the new socket pins from the kit in the existing BMW plug, but it didn't fit. So, I spend the evening re-terminating all of the obd2 wires with the new socket pins and installing them in the new plug that came with the kit. Put things back together and installed the obd2 extension so that the plug wouldn't be damaged again. Unfortunately, i still cannot connect to the DME. I double checked all of the fuses again and they're all good. Comfort access and passenger seat forward/back controls are still dead.

Don't know what else to check. I guess I'll have to take it to an indy, but i'm not sure this is the kind of thing that they will be able to fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
rodasimmons
United_States
Rep

Smile OBD2 port fixed!

So it turns out that my last work with re-pinning the obd2 plug fixed the issue. I grabbed the wrong cable to test with and that's why it wasn't talking to the DME. The wrong cable has since been trashed. I was able to get the car inspected and apply my MHD stage 1 flash! The throttle is not nearly as touchy/jumpy as before. I'm really pleased!

I've also spent some time troubleshooting my comfort access issue and have it working again. The passenger handle was bad. It was blowing a fuse instantly. I have it disconnected in the door and all other CA functions are working well. I may or may not get the handle replaced - not a priority.

My passenger seat is still jacked up but I'm going to start another thread on that. Thanks for the feedback!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
ET2BimmerDoc
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X5 50i; '07 335i

Anybody have the bmw part # for the OBD connector? or OBD2 port kit mentioned above? looked all over realoem and ecstuning with out any luck... Also does it come with new pins to repin with?

Had the CEL come on last night and went to read the faults with my Schwaben scan tool, but it couldnt communicate with the vehicle...powered on but was unable to scan vin/communicate...long story short i checked the obd connector and pin 5 (signal grnd) is all mangled...must of happened at the Smog check a few months back!

TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
rodasimmons
United_States
Rep

Good luck with this. This wasn't a fun repair. Below are the links for the replacement port/pins, ext cable, and pin release tool. Hopefully you can just replace the single pin.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 port and pins
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ext cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 tool
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #10
The Silver Slammer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

Gotta watch those emission inspection guys, seriously! I had this happen to me on a WRX i owned a few years back.
2019 X7 XDRIVE 40I - Wife's
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
rodasimmons
United_States
Rep

That's why I like using the OBD ext cable. If they hamfist the plug on the ext cable, it's a cheap and effortless fix.
Appreciate 0