E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > what contributes the most to the SP driving dynamics?

02-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #1
y789
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 325

what contributes the most to the SP driving dynamics?

There have been lots of arguments and discussions about the virtues of SP (sports package) for the e90. This post is not meant to discuss whether one should or shouldn’t get the SP, but to find out which component of the SP (steering, sports seats, wheels & suspension) that contributes the most to the improved driving dynamics of the SP compared to the non-SP models:

1. Steering wheel/system: The SP steering wheel is marginally smaller but I do not see this makes a big difference compare to standard steering wheel. If I am not mistaken, the steering system is the same between tow versions except the wheel itself. All other things being equal this will contribute no more than 5% to the driving dynamics of SP.

2. Sport seats: probably improved comfort for thigh & back as well as better holding in hard/spirited driving. All things being equal, I’ll give this 5% as well

3. Sports wheels: wheels could make up of 20% of the improved driving of SP.

4. Suspension: The lowered (1.5cm) suspension contributes the most to the better driving characteristics of the SP. I give this 70%; all other factors being the same.

Question is: If non-SP models owners want to get the driving dynamics of the SP, would it be a sound decision to lower the suspension to get the most of standard SP driving characteristics?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

I'll give the Sport Seats a lot more credit to them. Not 5%.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Quote:
Originally Posted by y789
There have been lots of arguments and discussions about the virtues of SP (sports package) for the e90. This post is not meant to discuss whether one should or shouldn’t get the SP, but to find out which component of the SP (steering, sports seats, wheels & suspension) that contributes the most to the improved driving dynamics of the SP compared to the non-SP models:

1. Steering wheel/system: The SP steering wheel is marginally smaller but I do not see this makes a big difference compare to standard steering wheel. If I am not mistaken, the steering system is the same between tow versions except the wheel itself. All other things being equal this will contribute no more than 5% to the driving dynamics of SP.

2. Sport seats: probably improved comfort for thigh & back as well as better holding in hard/spirited driving. All things being equal, I’ll give this 5% as well

3. Sports wheels: wheels could make up of 20% of the improved driving of SP.

4. Suspension: The lowered (1.5cm) suspension contributes the most to the better driving characteristics of the SP. I give this 70%; all other factors being the same.

Question is: If non-SP models owners want to get the driving dynamics of the SP, would it be a sound decision to lower the suspension to get the most of standard SP driving characteristics?
The driver contributes most, by far.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
bluemagic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I think the suspension is the least of the reasons why I picked the SP. I'm not an expert driver by far but I couldnt feel any difference between the non SP suspension I test drove and the SP I ordered. The nicer feel of the sports seats combined with the look of the SP wheel and the larger 17" 191's made the choice for me. I'd like to get 18's later but the stock 16" rims looked too small.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
roppongicorolla
all systems are go
Rep
Drives: 325i SG SPP

SP also gives you a staggered setup F/R which seems to make it turn in quicker (but feels less stable on a straight road) and stickier summer tires.

When increasing the wheel diameter it's only natural to follow up with a suspension drop, so you can say that if you get SP sized wheels you are pretty much on your way there. Of course BMW offers it to you at a very good price, which is why SP owners chose this option.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by y789

1. Steering wheel/system: The SP steering wheel is marginally smaller but I do not see this makes a big difference compare to standard steering wheel. ?
Isnt the SP steering wheel bigger than the standard steering wheel?
      02-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
34Three
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 6spd, e36, e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Isnt the SP steering wheel bigger than the standard steering wheel?

This is a girth vs. diameter difference...can't believe I'm writing that

Seriously the diameter is larger on the reg wheel, grip material thicker on SP and spongy. I drove an older 528i the other day and if felt like a school bus...steering wheels are shrinking thankfully!
Appreciate 0