E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > $15000 to fix engine per dealer (Options) PLS ADVISE

11-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #199
Cmaddox335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335I e90

Now me and the mad scientist have to tear apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried!
      11-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #200
BMWLove86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW 335i Coupe

Guys I really need your advice before I pull the trigger on a motor. These are the two that am looking at.

One: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2010-BM...9b2249&vxp=mtr

Two: http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-10-...cd81fe&vxp=mtr

Alpine White BMW 335i coupe (sports package)/M3 Rear spoiler/M3 Side Skirts/M-tech front bumper/Mtech Rear Bumper/Eisenhaus Meisterschaft Race Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #201
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmaddox335 View Post
Now me and the mad scientist have to tear apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #202
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

dont forget to ask for the vins of these vehicles so you can know if the car has been in a front end accident (can crack the blocks, heads, etc) or a rear end -- or even worse a flood.

remember you're buying an engine as-is -- there ususally is no warranty written expressed or implied on your purchase with a used engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #203
BMWLove86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswhatsh3said View Post
dont forget to ask for the vins of these vehicles so you can know if the car has been in a front end accident (can crack the blocks, heads, etc) or a rear end -- or even worse a flood.

remember you're buying an engine as-is -- there ususally is no warranty written expressed or implied on your purchase with a used engine.
the first one is from a roll over vehicle if you look back on page 9 you can see what the car looked like after the accident. I know that own is missing the intake manifold guy tried to sell it on this forum, when you google search the vin. I just want to know do you think its a good idea to buy an engine involved in that kind of accident?

Alpine White BMW 335i coupe (sports package)/M3 Rear spoiler/M3 Side Skirts/M-tech front bumper/Mtech Rear Bumper/Eisenhaus Meisterschaft Race Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #204
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

I would honestly just hand your car over to a reputable shop, let them use their contacts to find an engine and do the rebuild. There is no reason why you should be looking for the block at this point in time because there might be more things wrong with your car (no offense) taking infact you wouldn't even correct a "major oil leak."

Call up:
A&L in Palatine
Boyce Bodywerks in Naperville or Batavia
perhaps VS Motorsports can direct you in the right direction

Stop looking up engines and do this the right way. You already screwed up a nice car with your negligence on the oil leak. I'm done with this thread.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #205
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiike32 View Post
Stop looking up engines and do this the right way. You already screwed up a nice car with your negligence on the oil leak. I'm done with this thread.
That's a bit harsh. His car issues are 100% the stealership's fault. Over priced, incompetence at it's best.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #206
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

How do you make this assumption? If his car is 100% stealership's fault and can be proved to be the stealership's fault, then stealership will be liable. Instead of searching for an engine the OP should raise the case with BMWNA and contact a lawyer.

However read the notes on the workorder. It says "Customer will perform fix later" Which means the OP elected to fix the "major oil leak" later knowing that it will cause issues. I can only imagine the SA's frustration telling the OP to fix it but the OP refusing. Knowing the issue is there, that it may cause issues later, and that the work is recommened but refused....would all make the OP negligent not the stealership. Eitherway, knowing that the OP refused to a fix a major issue, my recommendation is to send the car to a reputable shop and do it the right way.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #207
theblackmamba
Banned
Rep
Drives: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLove86 View Post
the first one is from a roll over vehicle if you look back on page 9 you can see what the car looked like after the accident. I know that own is missing the intake manifold guy tried to sell it on this forum, when you google search the vin. I just want to know do you think its a good idea to buy an engine involved in that kind of accident?
Alright, I'm going to lay this out for you.

Probably the best advice you'll get.

You don't seem to be mechanically inclined much and you do seem to have a bit of cash at your disposal. First line of offense here, is to sit down and figure out what happened. Basically ask yourself, what you purchased, find all the paperwork from the dealership, voicemails, try to remember coversations you've had with the delaer, etc. Then seek the help of a lawyer, find a free one that deals with automotive cases, liability etc. There are millions of lawyers that have won class action suits vs. automotive companies. Have them listen to your story and then see what they say. See more than one lawyer. If it pans out that you do have a case -- figure out what the cost will be vs what you want the outcome to be. Find out if the lawyer will charge you upfront or after, or not at all if the case gets shot down.

You have cash now, so fix the car because inevitably you need the vehicle whether or not you want to sell it after its fixed is your decision, whether or not your court case (if you are eligible for one) pays for the vehicle now or down the road is a gamble but it would be one I would take. Whatever you do, keep the old engine indoors at your place or home.

Moving onto the engine issue; you dont need to know about any type of mechanical wahoo to buy and have a shop install your engine. You dont even have to know much about installing an engine if you've never done it before. There's something called the internet and manuals -- how do you think the professionals get it done when they're in a bind when installing? (I'm not directing this question at you but at the people here who are telling you do do it the 'right' way).

Don't buy an engine that has been in a really bad front end or side impact accident. Don't buy a rollover, don't buy flood damaged. Before you buy the engine from anywhere - get the vin # and run the vin and dont' just rely on google. You dont need every part from the engine -- a block and head is pretty much all you need but the more complete you get one is better. Look local for an engine unless you can get a written statement of warranty for x amount of days from the seller if its out of state. That way if an engine shows up with a cracked block -- you have recourse. Buying it locally is better for three reasons, which are 1. you can inspect and crank it by hand and 2. you can bid down the price if you're paying cash. 3. the salvage/wrecker usually knows a good installer on a first hand basis.

http://www.bimmershops.com/bmwshops/illinois/

I just checked car-part and there are 5 engines in your are for around the prices you posted on ebay.

Once you have the engine picked out -- before you buy it, head to a couple of independent bmw shops in your area, ask them for a quote for an engine installation...basically you're looking for a labor rate & parts rate to install a refurbished engine into your car. Find out the labor rate for the shop -- if they can't tell you what their rate it is then move onto another shop. Chicago should have a website where they post the current rates for shops.

Labor rates don't differ if you bring your own parts vs. them buying a part. Generally they will tell you that they wont take your parts and install them because of the liability on the part (they dont know the history on it, for example) and because they will markup their parts cost to make more of their cut. It's simple business semantics.

Once you have your quotes in hand find out a bit about the shops and choose the two shops you're going to stick with. Go in, and ask to speak with the shop manager or owner and shoot for a price under their quoted price. They can either match it or tell you no, but for just even $100 less on a quote its much better to ask than to just pony up the dough.

Also make sure the shop gives you in writing some form of workmanship and parts warranty -- i.e. 90 days, etc.

On a sidenote -- If you have insurance on the vehicle you might want to contact your insurance and see if you can make a comprehensive claim on it -- pay your deductible and have them replace the engine. Some companies will.

Last edited by theblackmamba; 11-02-2012 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #208
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
How do you make this assumption? If his car is 100% stealership's fault and can be proved to be the stealership's fault, then stealership will be liable. Instead of searching for an engine the OP should raise the case with BMWNA and contact a lawyer.
Yikes! I take that back. Major shit was wrong with his car. He should have ran, not walked to the nearest indy shop, if labor costs were his issue. The only iffy thing is serpentine belt particles in oil pan?? That's impossible. But driving around with an overdue oil change, and low oil level, is just plain _____
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #209
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Although your insurance won't cover the engine, they will cover your "stolen car"
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #210
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLove86 View Post
Missing the intake manifold is a RED FLAG. The intake ports face slightly upward and with the manifold off, anything could have fallen in those ports and possibly into the cylinders. At least one valve is open at all times. Water is the big threat here but it could be anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #211
BMWLove86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Taking the car here http://www.eurousautobody.com/ they quoted me $1500-$3000 for install its close and they have done work for me before. Insurance won't cover anything they were the first people I called, they don't cover mechanical breakdown (I have Progressive Comprehensive). I have absolutely no confidence that legal action will do anything but waste my time, but where did you see engines around my area?

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #212
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
I would honestly just hand your car over to a reputable shop, let them use their contacts to find an engine and do the rebuild.
^This. OP doesn't seem mechanically inclined, which is fine, but a man's gotta know his limits. Let an expert handle choosing a motor and doing the install. If you (OP) mess up in choosing a motor the shop won't stand behind it and you'll be back here again in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:05 AM   #213
BMWLove86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Car is getting picked up tomorrow. It has begun. Will keep you updated. I didn't end up buying the engine myself.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #214
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Any updates?
      11-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #215
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Hire someone to destroy car or steal it
      11-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #216
BMWLove86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
Any updates?
Car was picked up today. Estimated of $7500 for the whole job. Will continue to update.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:03 AM   #217
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

you should have looked into VS motorsports ive heard nothing but great things from them, anyway i hope everything goes good!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #218
RaddM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 & 991 GT3

5 gallons of gasoline and a lighter
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #219
tsa1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaddN54 View Post
5 gallons of gasoline and a lighter
HAHAHAHA

Wait until the BMW moral police sees that post and takes it seriously then lectures you about how this is wrong and stealing blah blah.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #220
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
Any updates?
This
Appreciate 0